Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Strangers walking into your property  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Strangers walking into your property
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »
Has anyone got used to strangers just walking into your property, sometimes opening up your front door ?  I still haven't, but I do get a kick out of it. 

Our lounge and kitchen is surrounded by huge windows and even the quadruple door is glass.  So when we are sitting around, we will often see a stranger, who has opened the gate, walk by past our lounge window.  It is usually quite funny.  One of the girls will usually run off to go and find out what they want. 

It has been water people, the meter reader, the Postie (although he used to just open the door and drop the parcels on the floor, not seeing me who was sitting quietly by my computer ), the guys delivering our wine (they drive down, around to the garage and put our wine on the bench ), etc etc. 

The other day this guy suddenly arrived at the door while we were having lunch.  He said he washed windows and would I like to hire him.  Oh boy, do I .... this house is a nightmare with all its large windows and doors.  So he walked around the whole house, counting the windows.  DH and I both looked at each other, thinking the same thing.  "Is he casing the joint out, should we be worried ? "  :)   He wasn't, I hope.  But at $80 for the whole house, we passed . 

Anyone else have this happen to them all the time ? 

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Strangers walking into your property
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »
We have never had that, as we have a 'Dogs running free inside' sign on our gates....previous tenant's doing. But it would be so weird, coming form SA, where NO one could get to our door, unless you used the intercom and gates where unlocked....(unless they jumped our 6ft wall, which they did, more than once!!) :tickedoff:

Although, we did have a 'visitor' a couple of weeks ago here....knocking at after midnight, looking to use our phone to call a cab  :heeha: We all almost jumped out of our skins at that knock! Did have a good laugh afterwards at our reaction :blush:

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:32 am »
Must be a rural thing.  We have become so used to it now, that when we see someone walking down the driveway towards the garage (which is at the back of the house ) we just carry on and ignore him.   :2funny:  Oops, hopefully we won't be cleaned out one day. 

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:27:11 pm »
Not just rural....

The meter readers come in whenever they need.  The courier people just walk on up to the front door and drop the parcels.  Our front door is not on the road side either.  One has to turn to the right, off the driveway, and walk around to the "side of the house" and across the deck, to get to the front door.  The other people that come around now and then are the Mormons or JW's.  Oh yes, and some Charity people who want you to donate money to their charity. 

But I must say I've never had anybody just walk into the house - I think I'd have some sort of reaction... dunno what yet, will let you know when it happens! LOL
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »
 :D oh my....something to get used to - in SA if we see anyone near our electrified fence, we freak out....but of course they would only be 'skelms' trying to do harm.  I cannot wait for the day when I am no longer living in fear.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.