Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sample budget  (Read 24892 times)

Offline Marilize

Sample budget
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:21:15 am »
I know I started waffling about money and budgets somewhere else but can't remember where so I'll just start a new topic  :whistle:  Feel free to move it if it fits under an existing one, please...

Got this from a darling South African who has been here for a while.  They bought before the boom and have paid quite a bit into their loan, so their repayment is less than what the rest of us would be paying. 

Mortgage  1200
Food          800
Telephone 80
Gas & electricity 240
Insurance 135
Rates & taxes 142
Medical 50
Petrol 70
Teenager pocket money 40
Mobile phone 20
extras 200
bank fees 60

Total 3037

Just a couple of notes:
Groceries include toiletries and cleaning products
Telephone rental is $55 pm for the line, so actual calls are not a lot.  Local calls are free so you only pay for national and international. 
Gas & electricity lower in summer but higher in winter.  They budget set amount and put it away every month even if they don't use it, so that they have extra in winter when bills are high
$50 for medical = 1 consult.  Again, they may not need it but they put it away in case they need it later on
Fuel = $70 to fill up one Mazda (so it's one tank of petrol) - enough to drive around town.  Might need more if you have 2 cars or are in a bigger town where distances are more
Mobile costs are high - prepaid is about $1 a minute.  SMS = 20c ea.
Extras include everything else.  She is quite adamant that you need to budget for extras, especially in the first couple of months.  They had something crop up every month for a good while.  That also includes clothes, treats, take-out and anything that you buy for the house. 

There is an annual fee to the regional council (less than $300) and her school fees for a high school student came to $570 (you pay an extra fee per subject, apparently, in the higher grades).  I will only pay $130 but I have to fork out $220 pm for aftercare... :(

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Sample budget
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:29:30 pm »
Thanks Marlize, that's very close to the budget I worked out, give or take a few things on there.

Good 2 know !  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:29:30 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:40:45 pm »
Thanks Marilize it really helps to have these costs in mind.  O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:44:23 pm »
Thanks Marlize, that does help a heck of a lot.  O0

Maybe we can slowly expand this thread as we all go along.

If you are in NZ, or once you are in NZ, and don't mind sharing your budget, please add it here. If you don't want anybody to know who's budget it is, that is just fine. Simply send it to me via PM then I will post it here anonymously. We don't need to know who's budget it is, but it does help tremendously to see 'actual' budgets as opposed to 'estimated' budgets.  :)

Also try and include as much info as possible like roughly where you are staying, how many members in the family, how many cars you pay petrol for, how many cars, etc you are paying off and their purchase price, are you renting or paying off a mortgage, how much the mortgage is, etc. as costs vary from area to area. It will also help everybody draw parallels with their own possible situations.

Obviously only include as much info as you feel comfortable sharing.  ::)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »
Thanks Marilize, you're an  :angel:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Badprop

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:50:54 pm »
Marlise that is a really good example for us to work on.  Thank you for sharing.   O0

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:52:26 pm »
I've just roped hubby into helping me with this one ;) We can give you averages. Keep in mind my hubby gets paid weekly (as do most people) and most bills are paid weekly. Only some are monthly.

Weekly income is about $800 after tax :'( (he sometimes does overtime then we get more O0)

Per week;

Rent $265 for a 3 bed in Chch
Food $170 average

Per Month;

Lights $130 average
Phone $110 (incl home, broadband) average
Sky $45 (basic package...no sport channels :'()
Insurance $130 (life, sickness, income protection)
Car payments $320 (for 2 cars) Both bought for under $10 000 but worth $27 000 cos bought cheap with problems. ;)
Car insurance $57 (car insurance is determined by you, ie if you feel your car is worth $5000 you insure it for that, keeping in mind the more you say it's worth the higher your premiums)

Water $100 for 6 months (if renting, it's added to the rates that the owner pays and must bill you for the amount)

Misc

Big screen TV $12 per week (very essential....I believe) ;)
Diesel $50 per week average
Credit card $100 per month average....if we good.
School fees $50 a year in Chch and you don't have to pay!
Horses grazing $20 for 2 a week....extremely essential! :knuppel2:

We are not the type of family that has a clothing budget, because we just buy as we need or when we have the money.
I cut everybodies hair and only get to a hairdresser once every 6 months myself. ::)
We have take aways once a week.
Hubby does private jobs that pay for all our 4x4 toys we like to buy. ::)
He's a mechanic so he can look after our cars.
We can also buy cars at a cheaper price, cos hubby can fix them cheaply O0

Right now you guys know way too much about my life ;) so I hope this helps O0
It all depends on your life style. Some people would find it difficult to live of what we do and others my think we're doing really well?? It's all depends on each family ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:46:05 pm by Nolan »

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:52:26 pm »

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 06:15:14 am »
thanx guys thats just what i needed. i might not be living in the slums anymore.I am also looking at earning about $800/week after tax.........probably depends on the company!!!
German Engineering At Its Best-BMW

Badprop

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 07:13:15 am »
Nice explanations of every cost there, thanks.

I noticed you are a Landy fan.  Once a Landy fan, always a Landy fan. O0  And have you noticed it's only people who drive a Landrover that calls it a Landy. ;D

Are there many dealers that do services on them there as there are not that many Landies for sale in the autotrader?  It would be nice to have one again one day but we know nothing, zip, zero, fa about cars, and if it strands us we will have to pitch a tent right there.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 07:32:38 am »
I would love to get myself a Landy when I'm over there. Any idea how much a decent 2nd hand one will go for ?

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 07:44:42 am »
I will definitely be getting me a Break My Window!!!! But it definitely wont be the case there!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
German Engineering At Its Best-BMW

Badprop

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:40 am »
Rhodan look at autotrader.co.nz.   You can get from $25 000 plus for a Freelander with not too many km on. There are some really nice cars there*insert drool here*.
There is a Dodge caliber that I have on my to do "when I am big" list. 

Back to the budget which is now completely :knuppel2:

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:40 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 08:37:06 am »
I'm only interested in a "real" Landy, the Defender 110.  ;D

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:51 am »
Landy's :smitten: are very popular here O0 They run forever O0

We scored a real luck, mostly because hubby can fix cars ;) Landy's like mine normally go for anywhere between $12 to $18, but we got ours for ......................$7000 :clap:
Just needed a few little things done, cost us $500 to fix :clap:
Jap parts and cars are cheap here :clap:

Badprop

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 09:58:17 am »
Ooh, don't let the Brittish hear you say that :2funny: