Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sample budget  (Read 24899 times)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: Sample budget
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 01:23:26 am »
Welcome to the site mlazenby :clap:

A budget is a tough one to work out for somebody else? We all live different lifestyles?

I can tell you that we pay out around just under $1000 a week ;)

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 05:27:25 am »
When will you go?

mlazenby, we'll be leaving in March next year. I have worked out a budget as well, to get a rough idea of what we can expect, and it's also around your cost.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 05:27:25 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 02:03:18 pm »
Can't give you exacts.. but our electricity account just arrived today. 
Account is for 27 days.  There are different types of account... and on this house, we have two meters, one for the hot water and washing machine, and the other for the rest of the electricity.  On the one meter, we have Economy package, which is cheaper per kWh, and came to $15.67 (that's for the hot water), and the other one came to $30.25 (for general electricity - running a heater all day and a dehumidifier for more than a week).  The meter usage is $1.027 per day, so that is $27.73 and then still GST.  So the total account came to $82.86, but if we pay before the 19th, we get a discount and only pay $75.02.  Some houses use Gas as well for heating or cooking.  There are more than one energy suppliers to choose from.  Here there were two that I know of.  We went with Contact, who give us 1 Flybuy point for every $50 spent with them. :)

Now for telephone and internet (which we get from Telecom, apparently there are cheaper options), I forget what the full account is, and for some reason the current online service is unavailable (to check account online), but we have broadband here for $40 a month (with 3Gig limit).  Not sure what the rest of the phone account looks like yet.  I do recall that it costs $10 for an answering service per month, and $4 for Caller ID.  At the moment we're using the answering service, as we have a simple phone.  But when our phone system arrives in the container, which has phones with Caller ID functionality, and it's own answering machine, we will switch the service, drop the Answering at $10 and take the Caller ID at $4.

Our rent here in Hamilton for a 3 bedr house is $330 a week.

Food - that is each family's personal problem.  I can just say that to set up with the basics is going to cost a sweet sum... you know, all those things you take for granted are always in the pantry, and that you don't necessarily buy on a weekly/monthly basis?  Like the herbs and spices, flour, rice, sugar, oil, etc. etc.  So plan to spend about $400 the first week just getting all the basics, plus that week's consumables.  and then after that, if you work it right, it could be between $150-$200 a week from there...  Also, you mention having a newborn... depending on whether you use cloth nappies, or disposables, and whether you use formula for milk, this can affect your budget for the first while quite substantially. 

House insurance will depend on what size house you have... and whether you own or rent. 
If you rent, you have to take out insurance.
Currently, the insurance on the house is 251.32 for the YEAR ($21 pm). 
Insurance on the VW Golf (1998) is $366.01 per YEAR ($30.50 pm).

Hope that info helps somewhat... .
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline mlazenby

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 03:33:45 pm »
Thank you very much for this info. I think I'll have to add a few $ to the figures you gave, because of an apparently more expensive Auckland. :o

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 11:12:52 pm »
Budgetting, oh my oh my, forget the currency conversion thing, it doesnot work that way. You'll just get confussed. planning on what to buy and what not and how much to spent on what is not a thing one should do in relation to your SA situation. NZ is a different lifestyle requiring a different budget.

Do not try and compare, it can at most of the times just add to your own confusion. We did that, you'll most probably also do that and after a while you'll realise Hey this is not SA things do work differently around here, and that's when you can start budgeting with sense.

We run a "homestay" business same as a "losieshuis" and therefor has to budget even down to the amount of carrots that we buy.

To be honest I started out doing budgets when we arrived, being an accountant but soon realised the budget is always out, "well when is it in ever" but living conditions is different the percentage distribution of expenditure in relation to your income is way different from what we have been used to in SA, so that I decided to stuff the budget and go on gut feel for the first couple of weeks to see and discover where we're at and it is only now, at this stage after 2 months in NZ that we can actually start drawing up a reasonable budget that would be in target within exeptable parameters.

To say something cost R5 in SA so I should pay $1 in NZ doesnot work. It is difficult but don't compare, with SA prizes.

My advise to every one newly arrived in NZ is to keep all the slips from your purchases even buying a coke, then add that together se to what it come to at the end of the week, check that against your income or expected income in NZ than you can start to do budgeting.

We soon realised take-aways is out. It sounded cool to pay $10 for a take away but you can buy meat for $6/kg plus some veggies and rise and you can do a meal for 6 people for around $20. Beats $10 a person.

What makes it confusing is the "10", as exSAns you see 10 and in SA 10 weren't much so yeah lets go for it, but in NZ "10" is a lot. This can and will lead to over spending, and very quickly. So be carefull regarding this.

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 12:06:56 am »
On Friday, we decided to take the kids to watch Ratatouille. The movies came to $40 for the 4 of us. Not too bad. Then came the shocker, 4 x popcorn, 4 x soft drinks, 4 x choc = $53!!!

So the next time we go to the movies - NO EATS OR DRINKS!!!

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 11:10:51 am »
I have never bought eats and drinks at the movies, because that's where they make most of their money.  My kids know already, we watch the movie, then we go somewhere else, or home to have the popcorn. 

But we hardly ever "go to the movies".  Mostly we wait till it comes out on DVD, then rent it, and if we reallly really like it, we'll buy it for ourselves.   Then we can stop the movie for potty runs too!  :blush:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 11:10:51 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 11:18:31 am »
I agree. I refuse to buy popcorn and drinks when I know that it probably cost 7 cents to make. I never bought it in SA and I dont here in NZ either. Total rip off!

Offline antonjl

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:14 am »
Going to the movies and not having popcorn is not really an option for us. It is part of the tradition. When joining movie clubs and sharing a combo it is really not that expensive as long as you don't convert back to rands  ;)
The popcorn sizes,drinks etc are also in general a lot bigger than in SA.
We went to Hoyts cinemas on Wairaui last week and the previous time to Sky cinemas about 2 months ago. So it is not really a regular thing.
Sky cinemas seemed very expensive.....but at that stage it was compared by converting back to rands.
What I do nowadays is to compare my NZ hourly wage to SA hourly wage and then working out the comparable buying power.
There are a lot of things that compare very favorable in NZ.  Fuel seems cheaper here. In SA the fuel was a real budget buster.
If only housing pricing was comparable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:40:52 am by antonjl »

Offline Smoody

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 05:11:58 am »
We have been in NZ for about a year now. On one income so we have to look after our budget for me to still be a  SAHM.

We spent at the moment $120 on car insurances and household content per month.
We are going to spent $100 a month on a mil each on our lives per month.
Bike payment that is going off for $110 (but we safe on public transport a lot now due to him taking bike into work.)
WOF cost $40 every 6 months.
Car lisense I think is round and about $120 every six months (Can take it out yearly too.)
Bike lisense is $250 per year.
Telephone with unlimited broadband is $100.
Skype calling card is $33 every month. (Call my dad to his cellphone in SA. Otherwise we speak on Skype to other family members.)
Food and other expense budget is $1000 per month. But that includes me buying stuff for the house, cleaning stuff, take outs ect. And $100 a month to my daughters account.
Power for us ranges from $60 in summer months to $110 in winter.
Rent is $370 per week for a 3 bedroom in a good school area.
Playcentre will work out about $10 a month.

Mmmm lets see what else is there.

Water is roughtly $120 every 3rd month.
Cellphone for me is $6 (have the best mate plan and only call hubby)
His cellphone is paid for by work and he just pay for personal calls.
Fuel is $140 a month. (then we drive a lot. 2 tank fulls)

And then two virtual servers for hubby at $60 per month.

Think that is about it.

We buy clothes as we need it. I usually buy toys for my 21 month old on my own budget account. (the $1000)

Oh yeah and hubby joined a squash club. $90 for a 5 one hour sessions or 10 half an hour sessions or $400 for the year.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:00 am »
Welcome to the site Smoody :clap:

Thanks for your budget sample, the more variaty the better idea the guys in SA will get O0

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:54 am »
Very informative indeed !

Now how about someone give us a sample for living alone , for those of us

who have to go it alone at first, and a "holidaying " budget, for that all

important job offer?
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:54 am »

worsie

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 09:55:34 am »
Hi all,

We will start living in Auckland this year. We are both 32 yrs of age and has a 2 year old boy and a newborn girl. I worked out a budget for us on $90 000 per year. Here is the budget. Please help me if the budget figures are wrong: (It is all weekly costs)

Rent =$346.00
Food = $200.00
Superm = $25.00
maint = $20.00
clothing = $40.00
publ trans = $40.00
house ins = $6.00
house cont = $4.00
intern = $14.00
teleph = $15.00
council rates = $35.00
elec = $40.00
pharm = $13.00
entert = $55.00

Total per week = $928pw

The rent to me looks a bit low, i originally budgeted more or less the same amount from what i had seen on trademe etc, that is until i arrived here and saw the houses for myself. I would budget at between $450-$500 per week for a decent house, we paying $500 per week for our place. The houses here are not up to the same standard as we south africans are use to, thats why i ended up paying a bit more. But everybody is different.

other than that, it all looks about right to me.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 10:05:54 am »
Howzit and welcome Smoody !  :clap:

Thanks for the info guys.  O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan