Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Okay .. so this is how its going to work  (Read 3362 times)

Offline carol

Okay .. so this is how its going to work
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:42:25 am »
 ;) Hopefully anyhow:)

After reading almost every post on this forum and looking at pics of NZ we are both very keen , as opposed to OZ that is.

There appears to be a LOT of work available for hubs , the ads mention off shore applications are welcome , is there a huge shortage of agricultural and ordinary diesel mechanics in NZ ? it seems so.

Anyhow hubs has a tentative job for OZ in the pipeline, if it falls through we are packing our bags and heading for NZ.

Whats going to break my heart is my animals :( our two old boxers will never make the geriatric tests , our vet has already told us so they will go to the rainbow bridge , i will not rehome them , they are old and spoilt. :'(

I have 13 cats :( they cant come with. I have a good home for our two parrots. :'(

How does keeping pets work in NZ ? I have to have pets . I have been involved in rescue here, trapping feral cats and neutering and spaying etc and setting up feeding stations ? are there similar setups there ?

Hubs and I are tough, financially we went through hell years back , I can make good meals out of nothing . Good old veggie soup ? etc  :clap:

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Re: Okay .. so this is how its going to work
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:07 am »
 :gl: and yes, diesel mechanics are on the long term skills shortage list for NZ, so you should be just fine  :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:07 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:16 am »
Sounds all good.  Pets, no problem, unless you're renting, many people don't like you keeping pets when you're renting, but it's not impossible.

The SPCA like to have people that "foster" pets, i.e. look after them, until they can find permanent homes for them.  tHis way the SPCA doesn't have to keep a lot of pets in cages, etc.  So you may well be "in luck" with your experience of many pets! 

All the best with your (ad)ventures.  Whether it be Oz, or NZ, I hope it all works out for you!! O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline carol

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
Thanks guys :)

Offline aniena

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »
Hi

I didn't read the previous posts- no time- have to run- but we have a small dog- as big as a cat- and we are in our second house in Wellie that we are renting. 

regards

aniena

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:00 pm »
We are renting and we have 2 rats, 2 puppies, 1 dog, 1 rooster, 2 hens and now 5 fluffly yellow chicks which have just hatched yesterday. 

Offline carol

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:56 am »

:) Great cos I also have geese and ducks, also a very large troupe of monkeys ( I suppose thye have to stay here ?? ;D)

We live in company property and im getting a reference from them stating that we look after our animals and clean up after them etc etc etc .

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:56 am »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »
Not trying to hijack the post, but Savayla, do you really have rats??? Just wondering as I thought it wasn't possible to have rodents as pets in NZ. I have a hamster here in SA and wish she would be able to come to NZ, but was told its impossible. Have found a lovely home for her here in SA, but would love to get another hamster in NZ... Anyone know if it's possible?
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline thombatt

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »
Rats arrived in NZ with the first settlers.

The issue with bringing pets to NZ is the risk they may bring in something that isn't currently in NZ (eg foot and mouth). Your poor little fellow probably wouldn't have survived the injections he would have had to have to comply with the requirements.

I haven't seen hamsters, but haven't looked, but I'm sure they're there.

During the 1800's a lot of exotic animals were introduced, liked deer, foxes stoats to name a few. Unfortunately those that go feral and those that were let lose find it very easy to eat the unique wildlife of NZ. NZ wildlife had few enemies until humans arrived in the 800's and more recently the 1800's and have not been able to adapt. The Kiwi for instance is a bird that cannot fly, because it didn't have to and whose feathers are now more of a dawn than feathers. It nests on the ground, but its nests are easy prey to these introduced animals.

In Wellington in the late 1990's an inland island was created around the old water supply to the city. The area was fenced off with fences costing millions, with special overhangs so rats, stoats and the likes can't climb in. The fence goes underground for something like a meter so these type of animals cannot burrow in. (that's how it cost millions). the mesh is about a mm by 2mm. The area then had lots of traps out in it and over a period of 5 years (or something like it) all the exotic animals were eliminated. After that native species were introduced. there are still traps to make sure than no pests get in and there are regular patrols of the fence to make sure everything is okay. the public and go into the area, it's great, I've seen saddle backs and all sorts of birds there.

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »
You can have one of the three mice just discovered in our very flash offices this week - what bedlam  :2funny: :2funny:

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:47:17 am »
I have noticed some people have children as pets and walk them outside with leashes on, but have yet to spot any monkeys outside the zoo's.  O0

:2funny: :2funny:

Offline Heaven

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:52 am »
 :2funny: Rockhopper!!!

Well, glad to know I can still get the kids a little mouse / hamster / guinea pig... If my kids were younger, I'd get a cage and hamster that looks like ours and exclaim to them "look kids, Cuddles made it!" But alas. they are too old & too wise to fall for that kind of thing...
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:52 am »

Offline SouthAfricanGirl

• YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:57 pm »
 Aaaah the innocence of children....
:D my youngest only recently discovered the tooth fairy was me... :o
I was clearing out the cupboards, and she was heartily helping me, when she came across my little collection of teeth...eish..couldn't explain my way out of that one. Anyway, she seems to have accepted it. We have to leave everything behind, cats, dogs, family, furniture..everything. But, it's for the better.

Offline SouthAfricanGirl

• YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
That is a lovely idea!
How would I go about doing that?
I was going to enquire about taking a quarter container ( not sure if that's even possible), but then I was reading on here the cost of an entire container, someone wrote R40 000! That means it may be about R 10 000 -R 20 000 for a quarter or half, it's so expensive.
I want to take their favourite dolls, photo albumns, and some sentimental things. I called a carrier service, the guy never emailed the prices like he said he was going to, and he just kept me on the phone for ages asking what I had to sell... :idiot2:

What areas are not good areas to stay in, in North Island?
I am looking through Trademe, and I see the cheapest rentals for 3 bed is 250 dollars a week. This may be a bad area hey, or an area out in the sticks.
I need to have schools nearby.

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »
@SouthAfricanGirl - we went the groupage route and it cost R13 000.  It was enough space for some furniture and at least 10 extra large boxes.