Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Okay .. so this is how its going to work  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Okay .. so this is how its going to work
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:37 am »
Not trying to hijack the post, but Savayla, do you really have rats??? Just wondering as I thought it wasn't possible to have rodents as pets in NZ. I have a hamster here in SA and wish she would be able to come to NZ, but was told its impossible. Have found a lovely home for her here in SA, but would love to get another hamster in NZ... Anyone know if it's possible?

Yes, we do have two beautiful, champagne rats.  Bought from a pet shop.  You can get mice here too, also very sweet.  I have not seen hamsters here in Nelson.   I remember reading an article in the NZ Herald of a SA woman who had residency, hid her hamster in her clothes and doused herself with perfume, hoping the dogs wouldn't smell it.  They didn't .  But then, she stupidly took it to a pet shop and bragged about it, they reported her to MAF, and she was fined $50 000 and had to appear in court.  she did not rock up for her court appearance and I lost the thread then.  What a stupid, silly, woman !!

We have a hedghog who come into our garden and garage.  Very sweet. 

My daughter thinks "New Zealand stinks !! "  because she cannot keep a tarantula, a snake, or even a common garden lizard.  She caught on and made a lovely terranium for it, and I had to  tell her to put it back as they are protected.  So now I am trying to get a license to keep a common garden lizard, through DOC.  Have to go for training, etc etc  :2funny:  :2funny: 

Offline Heaven

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:21:23 am »
@ Savayla  :2funny: OMW!!! Training!!! Thankfully my kids aren't too fond of snakes and spiders as pets, but they do love lizzards and chameleons... Will have to apply for a licence too  ;)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:21:23 am »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:28 am »
@SA3001 - were they blind? My kids would love to have the 'real' three blind mice - thay want to look after them and keep the farmer's wife away from them so she can cut anything more off them!!!

@thombatt - wow, thanks for the great info! Must definitely go and visit the 'inland island' in Wellington, it sounds like something the kids and I would really enjoy!
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved