Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Im curious  (Read 1343 times)

Offline carol

Im curious
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »

Im curious about something .. if im not allowed to ask this question please forgive me ?

We are planning to go over cowboy style ? now how does one go over on a visitors visa without all the documentation that one WILL have like CV's etc ? it seems so obvious .....???  :angel:

I dont want to get to immigration and be so deep in the soup that celery is sticking out of my ears ?

Whats the method here .?

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
Re: Im curious
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:07:55 pm »
external hard drive, memory stick, lap top   :gl2:
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:07:55 pm »

Offline Wendydv

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:27:06 pm »
Hi Carol, maybe i shouldnt answer this but we came over cowboy style. We took one hell of a chance and had all the docs with us when we arrived (yes i know very stupid), if you have any friends here already that you can trust post it to them ahead of time. We were asked why we were coming over for 3 months and we told them we were going to tour but they are not stupid they know.

All the best

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
We wiped our laptop clean and had my mom courier our docs and memory stick to OH's cousin in Auckland  :) 

Offline RNienaber

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »
We also came cowboy style.
I brought my laptop and had some documents I thought I might need hidden under other file names. I know if immigration really wanted to have a look, that they could find it, but I took the chance. I also had files on my memory stick in my checked baggage. All the original documents I sent by mail to a friend in Auckland.
Hope this helps - :)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »
We came over Cowboy style, with two kids, TWICE !!  On the NZIS site it states that they welcome people to come over for a look, and if they decide to stay, then to apply for PR.  Now, why would they say that, and then turn you away at the gates because you have all your papers.  It is not illegal to carry all your papers with you.  As long as you condone yourselves legally in the country, do not overstay, etc, then it is not a problem. 

We took all our papers with us both times. 

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:28:11 am »
We came over cowboy too.  We had applied for an extended visitor's visa (9 months) in SA already giving our reason as "wanting to immigrate to NZ and therefore coming over to explore job opportunities".  NZ High Commission asked us to submit all documentation that we would normally submit for a work permit:  employment certificates, my husband's degrees, full medicals etc as well as bank statements proving we had funds to keep us going while here.  Based on that, they approved a 9 month visitor's visa which was stuck into our passports in SA.  We brought all our documentation over with us (including the chest x-rays etc).
I don't know if that is normal practice or not but I think because we were both in long term skill shortage areas (teaching and IT) they probably decided our chances of being successful were pretty good. 
A friend of ours that was coming over at the same time also tried to apply for a 4 month visa with the same reason stated but was declined because she couldn't prove she had anything in SA to come back to.  She was not on any skills shortage list (she's an office manager) and was coming over with both kids.  Her case was handled very differently from ours and I am pretty sure its because of our work backgrounds. 

Good luck!
Susan
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:28:11 am »

Offline carol

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:20 am »

Thanks Guys