Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Getting Ready To Leave  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Marilize

Getting Ready To Leave
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:35:32 am »
If I could offer some advice to keep yourselves busy while you wait..?
If you are planning to sell your house (and if you're really pessimistic about SA, keeping property there is probably not a kosher idea) you can start getting it ready for sale.  Decide when you'll be putting it on the market and plan your garden so that you can sow seeds (the cheapest option if you have a big garden) and sort out the lawn.  Renovate what needs to be renovated and plan to paint. 

It's a personal preference, but I really would bring a container.  We have met people here who came with nothing (out of choice or necessity) and they had a fortune to replace.  Unless your things are really old and need to be replaced anyway, I don't think that buying here is a cheaper option.  Our container cost less than $7 000 and I don't know that you can replace everything for that price.  A friend just bought a washer and dryer (really snazzy too) for $1000 - on special, obviously  ;D  Add to that all the other appliances and then you haven't looked at beds, linen, kitchenware and the like.  In my opinion a container is the more economical option, but I'm sure others will disagree. 

So anyway (I'm turning this into a blog, I know - will try to condense a bit  :blush:) if you're taking a container, you don't want to bring really grotty things over.  See what needs replacing and replace them.  Down duvets, duvet covers and blankets are good - if you see any nice affordable ones in SA do buy.  Get extra multiplugs (different lengths, too).  Plasticware is also quite dear here.

For the girls - stock up on nice undies, facial & cosmetic products (R205 Clarins is R260 here), perfume and nice things.  I haven't seen nice clothes on special, really - it's all pretty bland and plain.  they're a couple of years behind us as far as fashion is concerned and you may struggle to find funky clothes.  But don't stress about jerseys, thermal underwear or coats - we don't have the quality that you get over here anyway. 

I regret not bringing food in the container.  Not sure if you're allowed to, but I would have packed Robertsons herbs and spices - a whole range - as well as Worchester sauce.

Bring your mobile phone - just take it to your provider and have them unlock it if necessary - mobile phones do work here and are not cheap. 

Wait J just gave me a traktaatjie from Dick Smith - let's see:
Webcam $80
XBox $770
PS III $1400
In-car GPS $600

Don't know how that compares to SA prices. 

Marilize
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:34:18 pm by Nolan »

Offline nazmahomed

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:50:19 am »
thanks for the advise Marilize. Our house is already on the market for sale and we are hoping to get it sold really soon. Unfortunately for us, we arent able to bank alot of money from the sale as we bought the house less than a year ago so we still owe the bank a bundle.

I also think it would be a good idea for people to take over their own stuff. But not for us. Most of our stuff is nearly brand new and we have had really good offers from people wanting to purchase them. Having worked out what we could make out from the sale of our goods plus saving about $7000 for a container, I think we have a good platform to start with where getting new furniture and appliances for our home is concerned.

Unfortunately though, we wont be able to buy for quite some time. But, I am sure renting wont be the nightmare it is here.

I hope all goes well for you with your house. And please be sure to let us know if you do post pics just in case i miss it.
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:50:19 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:51 am »
Cool Advice thanks Marlize  :clap:

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:03:39 am »

Wait J just gave me a traktaatjie from Dick Smith - let's see:
XBox $770
PS III $1400

Don't know how that compares to SA prices. 

Marilize

More expensive that SA. I've noticed tech products such as consoles / pc's are more expensive, disappointing !

brad77

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:05:40 am »
remember you can shop around here and you earn more so it all evens out.

Offline Marilize

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:37:22 am »
Also, I just noted the ones that are advertised - they may very well have a cheaper make in-store that's just not advertised.  I think J saw a nicer laptop than ours for cheaper in one of the brochures.

Offline nazmahomed

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:43 am »
also, it is not always necessary to buy brand new. Apparently second hand stuff is sold in pretty good condition in most cases and could be a quick solution if you are looking for a laptop etc. but feel that the cost of buying new is too much.

I also agree that things tend to even out in the end. And its not just the fact that we will be earning more that is a plus factor. I only have to look at the amount we will be saving on insurances, medical aid and schools and it definitely puts the smile back on my face. And that is but a few of the areas that are better than here.

Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:43 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 06:34:29 pm »
I am a big lover of JunkMail, you just need to know your prices, then you pick up HUGE bargains often. What people don't realise is that often the goods are as good as new so if you don't tell anybody, they would think you bought it new  O0

So Trademe and similar sites will get to know me well when we arrive.  ;D

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:19:21 pm »
I am a big lover of JunkMail, you just need to know your prices, then you pick up HUGE bargains often. What people don't realise is that often the goods are as good as new so if you don't tell anybody, they would think you bought it new  O0

So Trademe and similar sites will get to know me well when we arrive.  ;D

Oh Nolan, you are going to so love it here O0 We get so much junk mail in the post box everyday, but you do get good bargins and trademe, well I just swear by it and I'm a complete addict. The 2 sites I have open all day, is this one and trademe O0

Offline rodz

• Rodney
Re: Getting Ready To Leave
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:10:18 am »
Well i was lucky as my house was sold last week. The bank assessor for the buyer came yesterday just to check if our price is right.Their bond has been approved. Most of the furniture and some goodies are gone already.

Just this  8) BM of mine and the laatjies 4 wheeler, then i am set!!!
German Engineering At Its Best-BMW

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 06:40:51 am »
Great O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 07:29:29 am »
our house was sold last night......hooray :clap:

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 07:29:29 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 08:04:40 am »
Wow, so that's two more almost on their way  :clap:

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 08:33:01 am »
hey nolan, I've just been catching up on the postings. I believe congrats are in order. Another little kiwi on the way ;)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:56:39 am »
Thanks Naz  O0