Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: 7 Months....today!!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
7 Months....today!!
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »
Wow, just how fast has time gone  :o We left Perth on the 31st October and arrived here in NZ on the 1st of November. We landed at 5.30am in Auckland, and it was already light, crisp and a beautiful day....and yes, once again, Auckland City, reminded us of Cape Town. Spent a couple of days in Auckland exploring and fell head over heals in love with the place.....After a few days, we made our way to the Bay Of Plenty..... :smitten: what a drive that was.....breathtakingly stunning. I remember some forum members told us just how beautiful that drive is, but you really have to experience it for yourself, to actually appreciate it. We finally arrived in Tauranga, our first impression was, wow, this looks, feels like Plett!! Of course weather was just stunning, as summer was on the way, so as our first rental was in Papamoa on the beach, the kids and dog swam everyday. Under estimated the Kiwi sun, and DD even got badly sun burnt! As all of us on the North Island remembers, we had a terrific summer!

From there,  to our rental in Welcome Bay, and it lives up to its name, the folk here are so welcoming and we fitting in right away. As we have a massive reserve just around the corner from our house, and some rural land on the hill behind us, we wake up to roosters crowing, ducks in the lake at the reserve quaking every morning! :yippee: just to fantastic for words. The bird life, which I adore,  is in abundance, and as we are surrounded by trees, it is a non stop chorus throughout the day. I can still not get my head around the nature 'just on our doorstep' although just 7km into town ??? It takes hubby 15 min to drive to work (and park) and the kids are on the bus route, so that works out fantastically. Tauranga is a fantastic place to live - yes, work, may be difficult to find, it took my hubby 4 months to find work, we were really getting very worried, as I am sure you can all understand. But his job offer came just in time....phew....stress levels went  almost through the roof in this family... :(

This is our FINAL destination, we have done Northern Ireland, Australia and now NZ....for the first time.....I feel completely at home. Yes, there are good and bad days, and we still miss our family back in Cape Town terribly, that is something we have to live with. A very bitter/sweet pill to swallow.

Our one and only regret - we SHOULD have done this move years ago, feels like we wasted all those years moving around, but then again, life is full of trials and errors, it took us years and years to find our 'niche' and our 'landing pad' that saying that immigration is NOT for sissies - SO true ;) besides that, the old man and I are getting too old for all this bloody moving now!! ;D

Wishing all the newcomers and those planning to make NZ your home, all the very best - a long haul, but oh, so worth it! And the SA's already here - keep lovin it!

x

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
Re: 7 Months....today!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:07:59 am »
 :welcome: Welcome to your new home.  :flowers:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:07:59 am »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:20:22 am »
Thanks for the encouraging post!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:37 am »
 O0 O0  Good to hear.  Here's to the next 7 months and many more thereafter  :party:  We have visited OH uncle in Welcome Bay and hope to be heading up there again sometime soon - such a lovely place - they're in Pelorus St - is that near you 'cause I think the reserve you refer to is the same one down the road from them?

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:31 pm »
Thanks ALL! Yes, it has been hard work, as we all know.....but well worth it O0

SA3001 - Pelorus Street is about 5 min walk away from us!! We are in Langstone Street. Yes, welcome Bay, has a rural feel to it, with the reserves and so much 'greenery' around it, really very pretty.

@dievissers - I so agree, I too wish we could share this with our family members, it really is very heart breaking indeed.

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~