Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sweet as and more...  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Sweet as and more...
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:23:03 am »
That 'sweet as' saying is so cool, especially with that Kiwi accent ;D I have now discovered that there are more as's

My daughter and our Kiwi neighbour were baking biscuits in my kitchen yesterday afternoon, my DD asked her mate
if the recipe is a difficult one.....no, replies her friend, 'it's easy as!'

On leaving to go home, she steps out of our door, and remarks, 'wow, it's got so cold'....you guessed...'as!!' :2funny:
As is sure getting used a lot  in this Country!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Sweet as and more...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:14 am »
My CEO hails from Southland and sounds "exactly" like the farmer guy in the Speights ad.  "Good on ya mate!" is his general reply when you have done something good or at the very least to his satisfaction.  I always have a quiet chuckle and think about the ad when I hear him!

Another of the AS ones I hear quite often is "expensive as" or "cheap as"

Yes, I've heard the cheap as one  ;D I tried using it, and my daughter is like....'so not cool Mom'  :P

x

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:14 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:53 am »
My son's favourite is "cool-as", but he's come up with some really unique ones of which I can't remember any right now - would help if I walked around following my kids with a notepad.  :2funny:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Heaven

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »
what about 'flash-as' - heard that one a few times... and of course... my favourite - 'See you later' or 'later' which would be fine if it came from someone you'd genuinely see later or at least sometime soon, but coming from the shop assistant, cashier at a tourist attraction or anyone else that you'll probably never see again, in your life, too funny
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »
what about 'flash-as' - heard that one a few times... and of course... my favourite - 'See you later' or 'later' which would be fine if it came from someone you'd genuinely see later or at least sometime soon, but coming from the shop assistant, cashier at a tourist attraction or anyone else that you'll probably never see again, in your life, too funny

:2funny:

x

Offline Awa

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:14:33 am »
My kids use the 'as' all the time - it's very funny.  cold-as, hot-as busy-as, cool-as, late-as and so forth.  The 'see ya later' thing really stumped me when we just got here.  Couldn't make head or tail of it - now I do the same LOL LOL.  Aren't we so adaptable LOL.  The other day in the office my staff-mates and I were laughing about the different ways in which we talk (saffers vs kiwis).  They told me they were quit stumped when I started working there about our little saying 'just now'  or 'now now'.  For us it means a bit later for them it means right now.  So I would say "I'll get to it just now" and they'd stand and wait  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  So I'd try to politely say again that I'll do it 'just now' and carry on with what I am doing just to find them uncomfortably waiting around.  Hysterical!
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
At my girls horse riding lessons today, we usually take our golden retriever puppy.  So I was walking with the 5 year old resident of the farm as we both walked our dogs, and he pointed to the big composter bin which I had seen his dad put a whole dead sheep into the week before.  And he says " My dad put a dead sheep in there and it is stinky-as ".  I had to chuckle, especially since it did STINK and he said again "it is stinky- as ".  Funny thing is that his parents are german !!!! 

Sweet as

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:27 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:58 am »
LOL! Stinky-as.....I LOVE IT!! :clap: Now there's one for the books! Way to cute!

x

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:03:01 am »
I try to use the 'as' around my kids and their friends, but always comes out wrong :tongue: And DD recons I sound lame....what am I doing wrong? ;D Maybe not a suitable saying for a SA mom?

x

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:30 am »
Lol! Yip, also that 'Hi, how you going'? huh....not, how are you doing, or how are you? How you going, I first thought they meant what means of transport we using..... :idiot2: I's so dof... ;) That too was very Aussie, and really cracked us up...

x

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »
Fortunately I got used to some of this during our time in TX, USA.  There too, I was in trouble for saying "just now".  But what got me was when I was checking out at the store, and the cashier greeted me and said, "So howr y'all doin' today?"  And I looked behind me, and there was nobody, so I answered, "I don't know about the y'all, but I'm doing great!"   :2funny:

BTW, Awa, you forgot so say it's funny-as!
My kids use the 'as' all the time - it's very funny.
;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »
Clever......'sharp-as' ;)

x

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:37 am »
 :2funny: :2funny:  rockhopper - I can so relate to the "just get up and leave" thing.  Neither can I get over my boss calling me "mate" - I am a woman after all.  He says "good on ya mate" whenever I do something impressive.  I work with mostly men and the f-bombs take some getting used to.  Also, everything is "yip".  I remember to answer "good" when someone asks me how I am instead of "fine" or "well" which is clearly not the correct response  :2funny:

Just curious - anyone who came over with very young kids - how are their accents now?  Our DD is about to turn 4 next month and after only being here 7 months, she speaks just like a Kiwi, even to the point of telling us we pronounce things wrong  :2funny:  Especially anything with an "a" like car and park and also the word "for" and anything with an "i".  It's actually very cute  :smitten:

Offline BARFLYNZ

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:05 am »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: . At my work when I say the name Mike it sounds to everyone like I'm saying Mark and I find it so funny  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: . My daughter (9) is also rolling the kiwi accent and using so many kiwi sayings , my son is already 13 so his accent has not changed much since we got here a year ago but he is also using so many kiwi sayings . I find myself asking people to repeat themselves over the phone because the kiwi's talk so fast  :2funny: :2funny: but then again I'm sure it is hard for them to understand me because I also tend to speak fast and using a lot of SA slang still and we have a laugh about it at work all the time  :2funny: . I am sooo in love  :smitten: :smitten: with NZ and we are here to stay for sure - we are just so happy here  :smitten:

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:50 pm »
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: . At my work when I say the name Mike it sounds to everyone like I'm saying Mark and I find it so funny

:2funny:  Me too - especially as my OH name is Mike, but everyone thinks it's Mark at first, except when DD says it then they know it's Mike  :2funny: