Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sweet as and more...  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Sweet as and more...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:34 pm »
I was born Tanya .  Said like Tanja.  But the nurses misspelt it Tania, said like Tarnia.  But everyone called me Tanya.  On all my certificates though, were Tania.  At the age of 18, my headmaster took me to the Courts and helped me change it back Tanya.  I was so happy.

Now I am living in New Zealand, my name is spelt Tanya, and I am called Tarnia.  Oh well ...... worse things could happen and I have got used to it.  Hubbys name is Kyle, but he now used to being called Carl. 

Last night our kiwi friends said to us about receiving our residency , "Now you guys are Kiwi as ".  Sounded so good .  They have invited us for a celebration of lamb and pav. 

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:29 am »
I was born Tanya .  Said like Tanja.  But the nurses misspelt it Tania, said like Tarnia. 

Last night our kiwi friends said to us about receiving our residency , "Now you guys are Kiwi as ".  Sounded so good .  They have invited us for a celebration of lamb and pav.

See - it was a sign from way back then that you were meant to be a Kiwi  :2funny:  Enjoy the celebrations  :party:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:29 am »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:38:31 am »
I still try to use an Afrikaans word here and there in the middle of an English sentence and I'm English speaking!!!!  Some Afrikaans words are just so much more expressive.  Eish - what would I do without words like gatvol or skinner in my life :-)  Often have to stop and think of an English equivalent first.

My worst experience with with "non-kiwi" comments was when my boss arrived a few hours earlier than he normally does one morning.  Me and my big mouth asked him if he'd "wet his bed this morning". Oh boy was that the wrong thing to say!!  I had to go to his office and apologies and explain what it meant in SA terms!  Hence I will NEVER do that again.