Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Why people may leave NZ  (Read 1818 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Why people may leave NZ
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:49:23 pm »
I thought that this would be an interesting thread to read to give us all some perspective, esp those of you who have never emigrated before, or currently have debt.....

ENZ forum

So far I've only read through the first page. 
I'll comment the following:
The main reason Uk'ans go back is homesickness.
The main reason USA'ans go back, is money and family.

If you go, go with the attitude this is it, and we're gonna make it work.
Best not to go there if you still have too much debt back home...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Why people may leave NZ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:58:44 pm »
The problem is that those people, UK's and USA's, don't really have a good reason to leave their home countries, unlike us Saffers and Zimbabwean's.

I find that forum excruciating to read sometimes, people just bitching and whining about their lives in NZ, but that's the miserable Brits for you.  :2funny:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:43:38 pm by Rhodan »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:58:44 pm »

brad77

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:05:17 pm »
They have a country that will still be in good shape if they want to go back. What wil be left of SA in 20 years?

worsie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:24 am »
What about the weather in NZ?

I know that its colder especially the further south you go, but surely its a reason to send some people packing?

I am looking at Wellington, the wind will not bother me but it looks like the weather is very cold in winter. A lot of people I have spoken to so far here in SA have warned us about the terrible cold weather. Is it really that cold?

Any Capetonians living in Wellington?

brad77

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:17:25 am »
Well, I have been looking at SA temps this week. 30s all over the place. To give you an idea, I was in Welly in mid-April and it was 10C max one day but mostly about 15C at the mo. check out www.metservice.co.nz

The temps have gone below 20C weeks ago in much of NZ and in most parts you wont get even ONE day over 20C until October at the earliest.

Welly will be about 10C max in mid winter, nights down to 3C. Summer early or mid 20Cs, windy. The wind makes it feel much colder.

worsie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:20 am »
And I was hoping for good news....brrrrruuurrrrrrr...

But i think you have to way up the odds, I will trade the current SA situation for lousy weather any day. Plus, my children will have a possitive looking future, I will not be limited in my career due to AA.... the list is endless.

PS: talking about the wind, does it blow worse that Cape Town?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:26:03 am by worsie »

brad77

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:08 am »
you get used to it quickly.... it has been mid teens here all week and by the afternoon I am out and about in shorts and t-shirt under blue, sunny (cool) skies.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:08 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:13:03 pm »
I was looking at the low temps for NZ, and thinking, that's not low - we get lower temps here - to where we get icicles hangning off the roof....  so I think we'll be ok in NZ.  of course TX doesn't have long winters - only a few weeks at a time, and we have central heating in the houses, with aircons for the summer.  I think Im going to enjoy NZ summers where I can send the kids to play outside all day.  Here you can't let them stay outside due to the excessive heat.  Now i've moved here from SA 8 years ago, and we've acclimatized.  I bet we can do it again. 

Many UK people are getting better weather in NZ than in the UK, Ithink, so they can't complain about that.  Some USA people from the northern states probably think NZ weather is wonderful!  ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

brad77

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »
temperate is the word to describe NZ. Always close to the sea so temps never dip too low.

greenfamily

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:06:52 pm »
Worsie the wind blows more often than CT. They have 2 winds the northerly and southerly the later is cold.

brad77

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »
you like kites or wind surfing? ;D

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:15:23 pm »
I LOVE windsurfing, am contemplating if I should bring my antiquated w/s with or pass it on to my nephew and get a new(er) one there? Either way, I think I'll still give Welly a miss  :whistle:

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:15:23 pm »

brad77

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »
Wellington is a beautiful city with lots of art and culture, and the seat of government. It has a great vibe!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 08:21:35 pm »
We'll obviously visit there at some point - distant friends of the family stay there - Auckland will just have to put up with my art. I do however hope to travel a bit as part of promoting my art.