Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime in NZ  (Read 8931 times)

Offline natasjab

Crime in NZ
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:41:03 am »
Hi Everyone

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I try and read through all the new posts on a daily basis.

We have decided to leave SA behind for a better life in NZ (it's obviously taking a long time to finalize everything) and obviously my hubby and I discussed it with a few people.

Dirk (hubby) was told by someone he works with that a number of Nigerians have "immigrated" to NZ and as a result crime have increased by 50%.  Maybe this is a stupid question, but I was just wondering if this is true.  I haven't seen any negative comment on crime in NZ, as a matter of fact it has all been so positive that I can actually feel the wind in my hair while driving at night with an open window :clap:.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
Re: Crime in NZ
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:05 pm »
Haha, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  :2funny:

I usually hear things like that from people who heard it from "friend", or people who are stuck in this country and are jealous that you are leaving for a better place.

You can view the NZ crime statistics over HERE.

As for the SA situation, look here... need I say more ?

18545 murders in SA compared to 98  in NZ ?  :D 93 of those homicides were resolved as well, I'd hate to see the SAPS resolution figures ....

Maybe you should print out those figures and let your hubby compare them with his work mate, and see what he says then.  ;D

Go figure !
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:47:41 am by Rhodan »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:05 pm »

worsie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:01:28 pm »
Ha Ha, I have been told simular things about New Zealand. The Maoris are taking over the country, and its not long now before they have full control.

In fact, when I argued the very point about crime levels between NZ and SA I was told that New Zealand has the population of Cape Town (probably true) so ofcourse the amount of murders will be lower in NZ.

SA has approximetly 48m people, thats more than 10 times the population of NZ, this theory is rubbish because that still equals less than 1000 murders in NZ if the population was the same as SA.

Funny that these sort of stories always come from people that have never been to NZ.

Another thing, don't believe those police statistics, the real amount of people being murderd in SA per year is more like 36000 or something.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:19:08 pm »
SA has approximetly 48m people, thats more than 10 times the population of NZ, this theory is rubbish because that still equals less than 1000 murders in NZ if the population was the same as SA.

Exactly my point.  O0

Quote from: worsie
Another thing, don't believe those police statistics, the real amount of people being murderd in SA per year is more like 36000 or something.

I agree 110%, the true levels are much, much higher than that, at least the NZ government is totally transparent with their figures, which is not suprising seeing as the NZ government least corrupt government in the world !  ;D

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:49:34 pm »
Firstly, that's wonderful news Natasja  :clap:

Secondly - I also hear the most ridiculous cr#p from folks almost on a daily basis. The first thing I ask is : have you been to NZ?, if they say yes, then I ask are you able to immigrate there?

People love adding their 2c, unfortunately it is usually about stuff they heared and not stuff they experienced. And when it comes to immigration, people are notorious for their "horror" stories. That is why I ask these questions, so that I know if they are credible stories and not just hear-say or bollocks dished up by jealous / spitefull people.

Get your news from sites like ours or the news sites like HERE and HERE and HERE, where you know the info is credible.

Also don't be shy to ask - I always say rather sound stupid for a minute while asking, than stay stupid for a lifetime because you didn't ask  O0

:gl: and keep us updated ne

brad77

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58:56 pm »
The Maori are not taking over NZ. There are 500K Maori and most are half white anyway. 70% of Maori kids today have one white parent.

Yes, they do have special rights and have claimed some land back but if things got silly the 2.6 million white Kiwis would boot whatever government out of power if they took things too far.

Crime gets resolved here, and they go to jail and do not get bail.

I havent seem any Nigerians yet......I will keep looking! :whistle:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:20:18 pm »
I don't know much about politics, but I do know that what Brad has said is true O0
I have only met one black Zim guy since moving here and hubby has on at work ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:20:18 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:44:59 am »
I think the blacks from Zimbabwe or whever that go through the immigration process are obviously gatvol of the cr*p in their own countries and obviously have a good education or else they would not qualify to be there.  I am sure they are not emigrating to cause a crime spree although I am sure there are exceptions everywhere.  In countries like the UK they have relaxed their immigration laws and let in too many now they are paying price.  In every country there are disputes with the "locals".  NZ has the Maoris, Aus the Aboriginis, USA the red Indians .  The minority always feel hard done by.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:22 am »
NZ wouldn't let criminals in, in the first place. They would have to be illegally in the country, which means they will be gone soon. NZ isn't a big enough country to hide in, especially not with their high conviction rates. As an aside - in the Sunday papers they showed that only 3% of those caught for murder in SA are ever convicted  :tickedoff:

brad77

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:27:25 am »
also, many Africans cant swim. NZ is adrift in the South Pacific Ocean. This is a good place to be. Europe cant keep many Africans out as they cross the Med but NZ is just a bit further. :clap:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:31:27 am »
 :2funny: , so does that mean my Mom can't go to NZ either

brad77

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 08:34:38 am »
I am sure your mom will be able to afford an air ticket and I am sure she will be a productive member of NZ society, unlike the hordes of criminals who roam the streets of the Republic.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 08:34:38 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 08:38:55 am »
As an aside - in the Sunday papers they showed that only 3% of those caught for murder in SA are ever convicted  :tickedoff:

Then they are released with the rapists every year on the presidents birthday.  :idiot2:

brad77

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 08:43:19 am »
That's why I am an Afro-pessimist. I can see no good in Africa at all. I dont miss it or 'them' at all. Just being honest.....freedom of speech and all that.  :o

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 08:47:08 am »
Oh, what a relief  ;) for a minute I thought they had cancelled all the flights to NZ  :whistle:

I hear what you are saying though, Europe has a huge problem because they have just let every oke and his buddy walk in, and that includes people from the former Soviet Union. France seems to be getting the brunt of it though. Good luck to them  ???

Brad, anybody who isn't an Afro-pessimist is walking around with blinkers on.