Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Is it safe to take your TV?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline jaydenty

• Cant wait to get outta here!!!!!
Is it safe to take your TV?
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »
Hello Bokkies,

Neil and I have tried to find information on whether or not we can take our TV's with.  We JUST bought these TV's and now we're reading that they usually dont work cos of the frequency??  Do you guys know if it is safe to take your TV with? :confused: :confused:

We didnt plan on taking anything else except our TV's and our car because it is paid up and the rest we planned on buying.  Cannot wait to get new stuff!!

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Is it safe to take your TV?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »
Hi jaydenty,
I don't know about these new plasmas, lcd's and led tv's but all our tv's that we brought over a couple of years ago worked, bar one. And that one was about 15 years old then already. We couldn't change the "zone" because it didn't have that function yet. But the rest is still working right here in my house in NZ.
Hope this helps,
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »

Offline Dieds

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »
Hi
As far as I know most tv's work here you just need a SA plug adaptor. But if you're shipping only tv's it might be cheaper to buy them here. Tv's are pretty cheap here compared to SA. Might be worth checking prices of tv's on a few websites here and compare it to your shipping cost.

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:09:09 pm »
Hello Bokkies,

Neil and I have tried to find information on whether or not we can take our TV's with.  We JUST bought these TV's and now we're reading that they usually dont work cos of the frequency??  Do you guys know if it is safe to take your TV with? :confused: :confused:

We didnt plan on taking anything else except our TV's and our car because it is paid up and the rest we planned on buying.  Cannot wait to get new stuff!!

Here is the crux. Your South African TV’s probably dont have built in freeview HD tuners. (DVB-T HD tuners) and will probably have the standard analogue tuners which is what SA still uses. NZ has switched to HD broadcasting via DVB-T, analogue is being switched off pretty soon. Not sure about the date but I am sure its in the next year or two.

That said, if you going to be subscribing to Sky TV (NZ DSTV equivalent) via satellite it won’t be a problem as you would just connect your Sky Decoder to the TV via an HDMI cable.

You other option is to purchase a freeview HD decoder when you get here and you just hook it up to your exiting TV as you would with a Sky decoderIt will cost you about $130, and as said previously most TV’s here already have them built in.

Your TV will work with the current analogue services which are still being used here until they switched off. What size TV’s are they?

You can read more about freeview here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_%28New_Zealand%29

Offline Evita

• From Hilton to Titirangi
    • Eve's Apples
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:34 am »
We brought lock stock and barrel - even a car and a motor bike. All gets insured for damage but TV etc all well packaged !!!
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :welcome: :gl2: :gl2: :gl2: :gl2:
Evita :)

Offline jaydenty

• Cant wait to get outta here!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »
Thanks guys!  :)

What size TV’s are they?
We have a Samsung Series 4(32"), and a Sony Bravia(42").
if you going to be subscribing to Sky TV (NZ DSTV equivalent) via satellite it won’t be a problem as you would just connect your Sky Decoder to the TV via an HDMI cable

I will definitely be getting SKY, cant live without DSTV, and I'll be at home for the first couple of months, so I'm sure that will be a necessity.

Does it have something to do with if they say your TV is HD ready or full HD or something like that?

Offline Evita

• From Hilton to Titirangi
    • Eve's Apples
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08:48 pm »
soweee... that's techno talk :(
Evita :)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08:48 pm »

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:40 am »
Thanks guys!  :)

What size TV’s are they?
We have a Samsung Series 4(32"), and a Sony Bravia(42").
if you going to be subscribing to Sky TV (NZ DSTV equivalent) via satellite it won’t be a problem as you would just connect your Sky Decoder to the TV via an HDMI cable

I will definitely be getting SKY, cant live without DSTV, and I'll be at home for the first couple of months, so I'm sure that will be a necessity.

Does it have something to do with if they say your TV is HD ready or full HD or something like that?

Sky is pretty good here when compared to DSTV. But then freeview is also pretty good, excellent when compared to the SABC!!! We spend a lot of time watching the stuff on freeview anyway (TV1/2/3/FOUR/Prime etc) even though we have sky

Some freeview channels are broadcast in HD, so yes it would be better if your TV was full HD. Sky movies, sports etc are also in Full HD.. I could never go back to watching SD after being spoilt with HD.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:59:47 am »
bring die TV's saam, hulle werk almal hierso.  :yippee:

Julle sal op 'n kol of Sky of die Freeview decoder moet kry want TV verander alles binnekort hier na digitaal toe - hang af of julle klein kids het of nie - klein kids = cartoon network = Sky is noodsaaklik  :-X. No kids = moenie worrie oor Sky, jy gaan meeste van die tyd Freeview kyk anyway tensy julle nie sonder MythBusters kan klaarkom nie  ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:01:28 pm by Nolan »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
Julle sal op 'n kol of Sky of die Freeview decoder moet kry want TV verander alles binnekort hier na digitaal toe - hang af of julle klein kids het of nie - klein kids = cartoon network = Sky is noodsaaklik  :-X. No kids = moenie worrie oor Sky, jy gaan meeste van die tyd Freeview kyk anyway tensy julle nie sonder MythBusters kan klaarkom nie  ;D

... en "add a room" decoder net vir daai "cartoon network"... Been a life saver in our house.
Enjoy,
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:02 pm »

... en "add a room" decoder net vir daai "cartoon network"... Been a life saver in our house.
Enjoy,
SAKB

:2funny: :2funny:  Yip, gladly giving up regular hair appointments to fund multi room, MySky etc. DD will be "locked up" in our bedroom on Sunday watching her favourite shows I recorded for emergencies while we watch SA vs Oz on Sunday in the lounge.  6pm is before her bed time  :'( :'(  THANK YOU SKY  :)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:59 am »
Hi

I don't know what size your TV is but the kiwi's are totally crazy about big big TV's and I mean big!!! We brought ours over from SA but hubby wanted a bigger one. TV's are not that expensive in NZ so if you want to leave yours a new one on this side will not cost you an arm and a leg.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:59 am »