Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Maori singing.....  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Maori singing.....
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:30 am »
I just popped down to our local dairy, and next to it is the Welcome Bay community hall. There must have been some Maori choir/singing practice going on, and I could see through the door, the Maori women on the stage

OMG!!! Did my knees buckle! I stood there for a couple of minutes and the singing, harmonizing was just fantastic!! :clap: It actually gave me goosies and I felt very emotional as it was so beautiful - although I could not understand a word they were singing! This has really made my day!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Maori singing.....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »
Jip I agree. Have heard some of them sing a few times and it normally sounds stunning. Don't know which group you heard but the one's in Roto that I heard were amazing.
Enjoy,
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »
There's a series about Kiwi life on SA TV at the moment, as a prelude to the worldcup. The theme song is by Maori's, and I must agree, they do sing beautifully. Whatching the series, with all its sights and sounds of New Zealand is filling me with a sense of expectation.
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »
The Maori singing I heard, apparently was a group of teachers from the Maori school here in the rural area of Welcome Bay - they were practicing for a school play  O0 - fantastic!! :clap: They sing with no music, so it is even more beautiful! And you have to love the arm/hand movement, which means so much in their songs.....some of them are also fantastic guitar players, my son has a good Maori  friend in Perth, and hell, could this kid play....and sing! Very good blues artist! I think music is in their blood, a very good expression of their lives.

x

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~