Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime that makes you think....  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Crime that makes you think....
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
I just have to share this with you all......Yes, we all know the crime stats in SA, but once in a while you hear a story like this that makes your blood run cold>

Friends of mine in Cape Town had to attend a wedding last Saturday. As this wedding was up the West Coast, they planned to leave Cape Town early on Saturday morning, as to miss traffic and take their time......at 5am on Saturday, they walked out the front door, opened the back car door, put in their overnight bags along with the wrapped wedding pressie. My friend got into the passenger seat and waited for hubs. Suddenly, she remember because it was still pitch dark, she had forgotten her sun glasses, and would need it later......so got out the car as she could see hubby in the passage getting ready to set the alarm, dashed inside.....hunted around for glasses and 2 min later they were switching off lights and setting alarm.......they are about to get into the car, when they heard someone running (or more than one person??) down the road, cannot see well, as it's dark......close the car doors and discover that their overnight bags, her handbag......containing their hotel money, mobile phone etc......AND wedding pressie GONE!!!! :tickedoff:

This is all of 2 min!!

now, like she says, it is chilling to think, if she had not got out the car to go indoors to fetch her glasses, would she have been held up. Were they watching the house, were they in the garden???

This really could have turned out so tragically!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Crime that makes you think....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:08 am »
Yip, it probably could have gone wrong.  One thing that I noticed when I arrived here in NZ, was that I wasn't looking into bushes around my house anymore at night, or wondering if someone was looking into my windows.  Peace .......

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:08 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:28:58 am »
Yip, it probably could have gone wrong.  One thing that I noticed when I arrived here in NZ, was that I wasn't looking into bushes around my house anymore at night, or wondering if someone was looking into my windows.  Peace .......

Yes, I have to agree. This couple's neighbour had a near break-in, a couple of months ago, apparently the cops said the criminals were 'disturbed' as they did not manage to get into the house, another neighbour on the other side of this couple has a boerbull and this dog was going nuts!!!!!! clawing at the concrete wall to get over.....but wait for it...what was stuck in the cat flap???? A little tee shirt from Pep AGED 3!!!! Okay, so it does not take a rocket scientist to work out what they were planning!! :tickedoff: I would have personally lifted that dog over that wall.....that would hopefully be the LAST house they ever try to break into!! Our first break-in, they dusted for prints and found little ones on our window sill, suggesting pushing a kid through......PIGS!!!  :furious:

There is no stopping them, seriously, no dog, bars, alarms....it is extremely scary :(

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:06:49 pm »
... you should be able to leave your car door wide open in the street with everything in it and still go looking for your sunglasses, without worrying about the consequences. 

Well I have seen people stop outside a shop, leave the car (with the motor still running) and go into the shop. When they come out, they expect their cars to still be there...  :o
And why should they not ??  ???
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:33:26 am »
 :o When I read these posts I am so thankful that INZ let me come and live here.  :) :)
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:40:28 am »
 : :knuppel2: When I read stuff like this (most of it NEVER makes it to the papers) I get so mad.  After my (Wartburg) experience and hub's armed hi-jacking incident, we simply cannot wait to feel some freedom and safety.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Evita

• From Hilton to Titirangi
    • Eve's Apples
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:37 am »
When I first came here I hung onto my bag and wanted to lock car doors etc... it takes a few years to realise one does not have to be on HIGH ALERT 24/7 and I mean 24/7 day and night. Handbags do get pinched in supermarket trolleys in some areas if one wanders off...and apparently worse around xmas time,.. so one cant be too blase, but it certainly does not require eyes in the back of the head here... and an incident like that hits the papers here. Hope its not long now for you till you arrive !!!!
Evita :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:37 am »