Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: ...Hm, so when does spring start here.....  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
...Hm, so when does spring start here.....
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »

:2funny: Packed away heaters 2 weeks ago, as weather warmed up  - and OMG, had to bring them out of storage a few nights ago :tickedoff:

What the heck is going on? It is FREEEEEEZING here in the Bay!! It is almost October...enough already! ;) As we only arrived last year Nov, please tell me that October starts to officially feel the joys of spring. :whistle: And as the clocks changed, it is so dark again in the mornings, which does not help matters. Come on spring, get a move on!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline till23

Re: ...Hm, so when does spring start here.....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »
Did you really believed the posters here who told you that the weather here is not so bad at all? We have spend a week in December at a under 14 national cricket tournament in "Roto Vegas"  and were under blankets and sleeping bags next to the field every day. Last year in October there was a snow storm that killed tens of thousands of "spring" lambs.

The period from Sept to Dec is the worst for me. It is supposed to be spring but it is very fickle and changeable with long periods of grey skies. Summer proper starts in December and lasts till April.

I remember an add - in OZ you take a towel to the beach in NZ you take a blanket.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »
Spring arrived weeks ago - look at the luminous green fields, the not-so-new lambs running around, the trees flowering everywhere, the trees blossoming...
Our grass is growing at a phenomenal rate and we can barely keep up with the new growth in the garden!

You need to remember, Spring here is a gradual change and is our BIG rainy season. Not like in SA were you hit July 31 and suddenly those winds blow, the air turns brown with all the dust, fire season starts up with a vengeance and the temperatures immediately hit 25 C. 

There will be warmer days and colder days during this time as the Arctic storms lose the battle with the Sun's position and influence that keeps moving south in latitude.  We are quite a bit further South than SA so we will be affected for longer and there will be late snow storms that affect farmers most.

Last year, it got warmer earlier than the year before.  From about mid-October the weather warmed up and it the rain pretty much stopped.

Having been here more than 2 years now in Auckland, I don't think the weather is terrible and ghastly in any way.  It doesn't get as cold at night in winter as it does in Jhb by a LONG stretch - the days are only a few degrees colder (ave temp at around 14 daytime in Auckland) and it rains some.  Spring time is colder than what you'd get back in SA and it rains a lot - though the rain comes and goes and isn't a constant grey sky for days and weeks on end.  Summer is glorious with very little rain.  Autumn is beautiful with a bit of rain and the temperatures are still very comfortable during the day. 

Early Summer itself isn't actually cold - its the Southerly winds off the ocean that add a chill factor.  What one needs to get through all the seasons are a good rain and wind proof jacket. 

Daylight savings means you have a darker morning (for a few weeks) but you have a sunset at 19:30 and getting later each day - personally I prefer that because it feels like I have a another full day after I get home from work. 

07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »
Yes, so agree with the speed the grass grows here!! I do recall being told by some folk on the forum that the warmer weather only gets noticed after Labor Day.... :confused: towards the end of October.

Just hate dark mornings. Also remember when we arrived on the 1st of Nov last year, at 5.45am it was light, and I was walking our dog on the beach....so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

But I honestly find it colder now in the last past week, than it was in mid winter (June/July) This cold snap is really just terrible - but we shall not complain, beautiful days are soon here. :yippee: just need to hang in there a bit longer.

x

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:29 am »
You will soon be complaining that it is too hot.  Believe me.  I am also a weather winer !!!  I have found the weather here in Nelson to be very similar to that of Hout Bay.  Summer only really sets in , in early November.  It can be really hot, but when you step into the shade, it is slightly chilly. 

For the past two days we have had a nasty, chilly wind.  Very annoying as you have to put your jersey on when you go outside, but you start sweating as it is hot, then you take it off again and you are cold.   :tickedoff: 

Still enjoying the weather though.  But to be honest, I would prefer to be in Fiji at the moment  :) 

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:45:37 am »
....lucky, lucky me....ah, just LOVE that Fiji ad!!! Yes, I would give my left arm to jet off there now! SA friends of us here in Tauranga went last year, oh my, what a stunning holiday they all had, judging by the photo's, just stunning.

x

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:31 am »

So in essence I think you have to change the mindset from SA Spring, and acclimatize to the long wet Spring over here.  You do start to settle in after a couple of seasons.

What I am really really thankful for, is that I don't have to sit around with 30+ degree weather and boiling hot pillows at night, etc etc.

So true.  the mindset change is so NB.  I have started looking at the beautiful aspects of the seasons here, something that somehow I completely missed when living in SA.  The colours of the trees as they change, the blossoms everywhere, the golden leaves in Autumn, the snow on the mountain peaks, the lambs and calves all around us, and all the ducklings too.    All so beautiful, and now I don't mind putting on a pair of longjohns under my trackpants, a pair of boots and going into the crisp air to water my garden. 

As for the heat.  You can keep it !!!We lived in Asia for 18 months before coming here, and I won't swap this for that.  Sleeping in aircon because it is neccessary.  Waking up and walking into a sauna and needing 3 showers a day.  That perpetual sweat drop on your upper lip  :2funny:      Would rather wear more layers which I can remove. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:31 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:27:43 am »

...and another bad dose of 'winter flu' doing it's rounds here in Tauranga. I know of at least 3 families who have been struck down with it..... :-\

x

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:53 am »
I think I'm glad that I'll be arriving in December, maybe the weather won't be too much of a shock for me!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:27 am »

...and another bad dose of 'winter flu' doing it's rounds here in Tauranga. I know of at least 3 families who have been struck down with it..... :-\

x

Our doctor, a Saffer who has been here for 17 years, told us that we must take the following every winter.  Vitamins A, D, C, and zinc.  She says that although the sun still burns in winter, we don't get our Vitamin D from it and there is very little zinc in the soils. 

I do know that there is no selenium in the soil, which we were told when we arrived.  I started by taking a supplement, but now we all just gobble down a few brazil nuts a day.  Even the dogs.