Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: I have never experienced this Emotion before...what is it?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline goodgirl

I have never experienced this Emotion before...what is it?
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:37:19 pm »
So so far, its all been this Amazing dream that we are Finally going to be living..Emigrating, New Life, Clean Air, Safer Vibe and all those Good things....

....then enter reality!

So as you may know Hubster and i leave SA in Feb 2012; We have now started some of the very major steps towards shutting down in SA - both of us, have given our employers early notice, we are in process of booking our flights, we have chosen moving company and date to move out of home...etc etc

and I have a funny stange feeling, in my tummy, it's not bad, its not good...just a stange feeling...like I'm about to put on a blind fold, be spun around, and be asked to climb Kili....Dont get me wrong, I am 100% happy and sure with what we are doing...just didnt realise actually doing this was so hectic now!

This is the weirdest thing...anyone know what I'm feeling?  :D

Offline ZaKiwi

Re: I have never experienced this Emotion before...what is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »
As our time ran out in SA I used to wake up at night with panic attacks.
Get ready for an emotional roller coaster ride like you've never experianced before.
I hope it turns out all good and the best of luck to you.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:11 pm »
Hi goodgirl, those feelings are SO normal. It is a bitter-sweet feeling, once you are in the whole process of moving, hello, especially to the other end of the world.

Another shocking realization, with be that you have to dig up your SA roots, and you are going to have to 're-plant' them in your new Country......we have all been there, all done it! :hug:

All the emotions you will go through will be  :) :( :o :sweat: :knuppel2: :'( :confused: and once you have landed on NZ soil  ::) :clap: :yippee: O0 LOL, hope that makes sense!

You are not alone! :gl2:

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline edward and marli

• Red Beach, Auckland
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:29:34 am »
...like I'm about to put on a blind fold, be spun around, and be asked to climb Kili....

you are so right there! The last 2 weeks before you leave rips your heart out, all the goodbeyes...... I couldn't even pick my kids up on the last day of school in SA (asked a friend of mine), just couldn't bare saying goodbye to all the wonderful people that saw my babies grow up. I feel like a pig for doing that, but I was just sooo emotional  :'(

Just do what you have to do to get through it.  We've been here 6 months now and I PROMISE you its all worth it!  8)

Its gonna get way worse before it gets better, but hang in there, by next year this time you'll be so happy for the sacrifices that you've made.

:gl:   :gl:     :gl:

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:10 am »
 :heeha:  I know the feeling well.  We are SO STRESSED out, it's not funny.  My hubs looks at me the other night before we went to sleep and says 'We are making a mistake'.   :heeha:  :heeha: Every day now we are asking ourselves if we are doing the right thing.  Too late now.  Notice given on jobs, our worldly goods leave next Wednesday, air tickets booked, sticker in passport. :eek: :eek:  Got to just believe that we are making the right move.  We have actually been sick because of all the stress.  Does not help having negative people around you either! 
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:11:17 am »
Hi good girl,  agree with the others, the feelings are 100% normal and later on you can not believe that you made it.

All worth it hang in there!

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »
:heeha:  I know the feeling well.  We are SO STRESSED out, it's not funny.  My hubs looks at me the other night before we went to sleep and says 'We are making a mistake'.   :heeha:  :heeha: Every day now we are asking ourselves if we are doing the right thing.  Too late now.  Notice given on jobs, our worldly goods leave next Wednesday, air tickets booked, sticker in passport. :eek: :eek:  Got to just believe that we are making the right move.  We have actually been sick because of all the stress.  Does not help having negative people around you either! 

:flowers: :flowers: Last minute nerves.  No you are not making a mistake, just take one day at a time and enjoy the ride.  See you here soon. :gl2: :gl2:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:30:07 am »
Chan  :1hug:  Now's not the time to take negativity from friends and family to heart.  This will happen more and more until you leave  :(  Now IS the time to trust yourselves.  If we'd listened to all the naysayers, we'd never ever have left.  I can honestly say that, even though we're only here a year next week,  SA and our lives there seem a lifetime ago.  We really, really can't imagine going back to that life.  You know the old saying "what the heart doesn't know, it can't miss"  Well we know the other side now and we'd miss it more than we miss SA  :1hug: :flowers:  And I was not well travelled and I like routine, so I know how scary it seems.  I lived in one city all my life, went to one school and only ever lived in 4 houses, never more than a 30 min drive from my folks, so you can just imagine  :o  BUT I AM HAPPY AND SETTLED  :clap: :clap:

Offline Ostrich

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 06:26:32 am »
As said by everyone above, it sounds like cold feet, very normal. Honestly, any responsible adult would have reservations about moving half way across the world and everything that goes with that (and if they didn't, they probably didn't think it out very much). We had our last minute doubts and concerns when settling in, but three months later we have no regrets, because this was the right decision for our family. Keep your head clear and focus on the things you can control, rather than the things you can't.
SMC, from SA - EOI Submitted: 13 Dec 2010, EOI Selected: 15 Dec 2010, EOI Decision Successful: 04 Jan 2011, ITA Received: 06 Jan 2011, ITA Submitted: 08 March 2011, CO Allocated: 22 March 2011, Telephone Interview: 4 May 2011, Medicals clear: 23 May 2011, Residence Approved: 7 June 2011, NZ 19 July!

Offline MondeZA

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »
The feelings are normal and are exceptionally strange if you haven't experienced them before.

The first time I moved overseas if I was on a ship rather than a plane I would have jumped overboard and swam back to shore. Luckily the other times I had to work in-country for a few months before the paperwork came through so I got used to it slowly.

The negativity has an impact but the same time it is your decision and not theirs. I was told that going to Iran was the stupidest thing I could do and would get myself killed or worse......was one of the best experiences of my life and I think my life would be worse off for not going. Same thing with when I lived in Hong Kong.

Once you are on the plane and in the air you will lose this feeling and become excited and then before you know it you will not want to go back.

Offline teyahzoe

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:28:09 pm »
hi everyone
I am starting to get the uneasy feeling creeping in as things progress towards our leaving SA. I have handed in my resignation at work, the house got sold to the first family that came to view it, the pace is picking up and the feeling is one of uneasiness,anticipation and a kind of sadness in leaving all things that are familiar and leaving loved ones behind.However ,there is also the excitement of starting a new life in a new country... a feeling of new adventure which starts to mix up the emotions. i guess we will take it one day at a time...as it comes.....

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:10 pm »

'Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, or just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not
bothering. ~ Pooh's Little Instruction Book ~

So love that saying - yes, we all need to slow down, take time out -  take a deep breath and smell the roses, especially during the immigration process! :-*

x

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:10 pm »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 01:45:47 am »

I so agree with you Chan, stress is the biggest contribution to illnesses. We do not realize it at the time though. I remember we were packing as container was about to arrive, in the process of handing over the keys to our first bought home together,  sorting out our dog to be flown to JHB to start his quarantine, I was still working at the Art Gallery in Constantia Village, and being holiday season, I was working till they closed at 9pm - getting home late......I WAS FINISHED! Although I did not feel it at the time, but hell, once we landed I was as sick as a dog. Was bedridden for 7 days, could not stomach any food, had a shocking bout of  flu, as my system was so run down......it affected me terribly.

You all need to take much needed time out, it is a massive shock/change to our systems.

x