Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sending stuff to SA or to NZ without it getting stolen!!  (Read 2031 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Sending stuff to SA or to NZ without it getting stolen!!
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:27 am »
Hi

I need suggestions.

We posted our family's Christmas presents last year and it got stolen on that side.  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: The postshop in NZ was great they tracked it as arrived in SA and even wanted to refund me for the content but I did not claim it from them because  it was not their fault that it got stolen!!!! Please help.......................I need some suggestions from you to indicate as the "content" of the box if I want to send something to SA or for our parents to send stuff to NZ whithout them stealing it? (I know it is a BIG risk irrespective of wat you indicate) Some clever ideas about stuff that will not be of interest to the Postal Service workers in SA could help. One of my friends suggested I should indicated books or materials?

Some other suggestions on how to get stuff their safely would also be nice. I don't want my kids to be disappointed if their grandparents do not receive their Christmas gifts again or that the gifts that our parents are sending from SA to NZ get stolen. It is soooooooo expensive sending things.

Thanks!  :)

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: Sending stuff to SA or to NZ without it getting stolen!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »
Last year I send over some fairly expensive gifts and went the courier option.  cost me a bit more but was worth it in the end as they did receive their parcel.  And you also have a tracking number to keep a check exactly what's happening at all time.

Pity they had to pay in on it so it won't be happening again this year :-)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »
Yes Mandy, you pay tax in SA on a parcel these days, new thing from SARS. They saw a extra way in making money. 

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:19 pm »
Frodo, I sent a small package last year that contained two Koru bone necklaces.  I put down ornament, and also said NO MONEY on it .  It was also couriered which did cost more.  It did get there. 

I am doing that again this year, and hopefully it will get there.  Very lousy to have to do this .

One of the presents is a photo album book that I spent two months making, has 65 pages of personal photos and writing, and we are hoping against all hope that it is not stolen as it is going to my mother-in-law. 

I guess we just have to pay for it being couriered. 

I never knew the other side has to pay now.  How much do they have to pay ? 

Offline Ostrich

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
We also found packages marked "books" or "family photos" make it, but DVDs or anything with resell value won't. Clothing, sometimes was okay and sometimes wasn't (but usually okay).
SMC, from SA - EOI Submitted: 13 Dec 2010, EOI Selected: 15 Dec 2010, EOI Decision Successful: 04 Jan 2011, ITA Received: 06 Jan 2011, ITA Submitted: 08 March 2011, CO Allocated: 22 March 2011, Telephone Interview: 4 May 2011, Medicals clear: 23 May 2011, Residence Approved: 7 June 2011, NZ 19 July!

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »
Hi Savayla- A friend of mine send a package off just under 1kg and her sister had to pay something like R200.00 in SA as the tax on an international package.  You can claim the tax back from SARS again but that will take forever. Another friend of my send something to SA and her daughter had to pay R300 to get the package at the post office. I think it is terrible!. If I may ask..... compared to normal postage, how much does one pay for a package if you want to courier it?. Say something like 500g? I have some b-day calender books that I made for my mom and mother-in-law and it also took me a months to make and really don't want that to go missing, it was made with lots and lots of love.

Ostrich- thanks, My dad just indicate goods and my mother-in-law indicates materials but I have also heard that books tend to work. I wonder if you could indicate the content in Afr?

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »
the goods I sent were electronic and I had them insured as well.  That's why they paid in so much.
I'm not sure how they work the payment but I think if it's personal home made things like your calendars etc then they won't charge (I hope).  I also sent NZ calendars over with there being no extra cost on the SA side.

If anything is of value, sentimenatl or otherwise, I'd definitely courier them over.

If I remember correctly the difference wasn't too big in the normal to courier charges and that's why I made that decision.

Your local post office will be able to help you on the prices.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:22:02 pm »
Hi,

We sent some Christmas presents over 2 years ago marked as gifts and sent it via international courier (DHL) through the post office.  All arrived safely.  If I recall, we paid about $60 for a 1 kg package.

I will NEVER send anything to SA via any other method.  It does cost more but I know it gets there every time.
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:39:24 am »
This was on Carte Blanche a couple of years ago and the Post Office were going to do something about the blatant thievery.  :whistle: :whistle: Doesn't look like there has been any improvement.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Ostrich

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:25:41 am »
Oh, this reminds me -- a few years ago, when I had just moved to SA, my grandmother sent a package for my daughter. It was just baby clothes, nothing expensive. I received a phone call from the airport, claiming that I had to pay R800 in import tax on the package before I could receive it, which was probably the same as the value of the package. I told them that I couldn't afford it, so they'd have to send it back. Then the "customers officer" said okay, she'd let it through, but next time I'd need to pay, because it was "the law." When I told my husband this story, he said he'd never heard of such a thing, and he thought that someone was trying to weasel money out of the deal. I did receive the package, though! ;D
SMC, from SA - EOI Submitted: 13 Dec 2010, EOI Selected: 15 Dec 2010, EOI Decision Successful: 04 Jan 2011, ITA Received: 06 Jan 2011, ITA Submitted: 08 March 2011, CO Allocated: 22 March 2011, Telephone Interview: 4 May 2011, Medicals clear: 23 May 2011, Residence Approved: 7 June 2011, NZ 19 July!

Offline Shirls

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:21 am »
We send stuff to friends and family in SA at least 3 or 4 times a year, and none of them have EVER had to pay to get their parcel!! I always mark the contents as clothes, sweets, photo's etc make it as uninteresting as possible!