Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Christmas and New Year  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Christmas and New Year
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 07:42:01 pm »
Good on you Savayla. I say that every year, that I will start buying gift's throughout the year and alas.....nada, until the 20/24th of December! I must admit, I find it more exciting shopping just before Xmas, in the Malls with all the Xmas music playing ( yeah, yeah, even if it's Boney M) while hubs sits in a coffee shop grinding his teeth and breathing into a brown paper bag :2funny: always wants to come with and on seeing the crowds he :pullhair: It will just be the girls doing the Xmas shopping this year I think ;)

Fantastic news regarding your Mom coming over in Jan :clap: Just fantastic to have something so amazing to look forward to.

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:58 pm »
with all the Xmas music playing ( yeah, yeah, even if it's Boney M)
x

Hey, don't diss my favourite Xmas band !!  Anyone with  an unwanted Boney M can send it my way   :D   

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:58 pm »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »
Lol! My Mom can throw you dead with Boney M! Had it playing from December the first till Christmas day when I was younger :hang: 24 bloody 7!!! So hence being off it a little :D Oh, and dearest Mom knew word for word.......which did not help!

I am now into the golden oldies carols by old Frank Sinatra, Natalie Cole etc......stunning, stunning Christmas cd coming out now by Michael Buble, must get that soon. Getting soft or what? :whistle:

x

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 09:24:55 pm »
I just love my Boney M!!!!! Christmas is not Christmas without Boney M.

Well last year we spent Christmas with friends and they made it quite special because it was our 1st Christmas in NZ.  I absolutely love Christmas and I tend to go a bit overboard.

Last year I did not want to put up the Christmas tree because I got too emotional, some of the decorations that I have are ones that me and my brother made when we attended kindergarden but my daughter decided that we should buy all new things for NZ and we did just that, the other stuff is packed away and I will unpack it for our 10th Christmas in NZ  ;D

Don't know what we are going to do this Christmas, hopefully I will get a job before then and we can go away over this time, there are a bit of conflict in our circle of friends and I don't want to be part of the politics.    :yawn: I want to get far far away from all of them ! :boat:   :D

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
Oh frodo/maya, so agree with you. Christmas is indeed a very emotional thing here in our household as well. Some of our Christmas decks stem back to the 60's and 70's from my Mom. :'( Must admit, I shed a tear when putting up our tree, as all the childhood memories comes flooding back, and yes, one will only understand/appriciate  this if you have grown up in a very tightly knit family. Our second Christmas without my beloved parents. I have a very heavy heart, but will be strong for my children. Christmas 2009 my parents come over to Australia to visit us and landed @ 11am Christmas day!! That was the best Christmas pressie I along with my husband and kids ever received. I remember all the families waiting for their loved ones to walk through into  the international arrivals, and seeing all the hugs, and of course tears of joy!  This year, we plan to make it great, but of course there is a massive hole in our hearts.

:hug: to all on the forum that have to go through Christmas without our beloved parents/Grandparents and siblings, it ain't easy!

x

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 09:54:19 pm »
:hug: to all on the forum that have to go through Christmas without our beloved parents/Grandparents and siblings, it ain't easy!

x

Ditto Tui!

Offline wavegnarl

• Here we go to save the day!!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:38 am »
 :D I am just so glad I will finally be with my wife and in time for Xmas too.  :yippee:
I would feel so bad if I did not make it out to her by Xmas.
Cant wait- I have been going  :uglystupid2: without her. Its been the longest 2 months on my life.
Only 5 more weeks - cant wait.
I hope I dont miss all the christmas parades and such. I saw a few pictures of the one in Thames last year.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 07:39:06 am »
:D I am just so glad I will finally be with my wife and in time for Xmas too.  :yippee:
I would feel so bad if I did not make it out to her by Xmas.
Cant wait- I have been going  :uglystupid2: without her. Its been the longest 2 months on my life.
Only 5 more weeks - cant wait.
I hope I dont miss all the christmas parades and such. I saw a few pictures of the one in Thames last year.

Fantastic news!! One always needs their 'better half' with them for Christmas

x

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »
Have no idea what we'll be doing, but I'm sure it will be something amazing.  My OH has been in NZ for three weeks and loving it.  He says the stories of Kiwi's not liking Saffers is absolute rubbish - sure, there might be some, but he has been made to feel welcome at work and he is really loving it.  He has rented us an fab townhouse in Churton Park, such a relief to him, the search has ended!  So as long as we are together for Christmas, I'll be happy - we would have been apart for 2 months!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »
That would be a fantastic Xmas prezzie for you guys !!!!  Just wrap each other up. 

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:26 pm »
Just wrap each other up. 

:2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Now that's a new way of putting it...  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Especially if you think they're newly wed's and "separated" for 2 months in between...  :2funny:
Enjoy,
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 12:31:43 am »
Brings to mind that movie where she answers the door just wrapped in clingwrap and he walks straight past her and asks her what is for dinner and to bring him a beer.   :2funny: 

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 12:31:43 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:06:32 am »
Brings to mind that movie where she answers the door just wrapped in clingwrap and he walks straight past her and asks her what is for dinner and to bring him a beer.   :2funny: 

:2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
You think that's what's gonna happen when these 2 meet up again...  ::)
Some how or another I don't think so...  :2funny:
Enjoy,
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:37:26 am »
My OH has been in NZ for three weeks and loving it.  He says the stories of Kiwi's not liking Saffers is absolute rubbish - sure, there might be some, but he has been made to feel welcome at work and he is really loving it.  He has rented us an fab townhouse in Churton Park, such a relief to him, the search has ended! 

Great news Chan and I must say that neither I nor OH have experienced anything close to negative towards us in the workplace or anywhere else for that matter.  Very much the opposite.  I can honestly say that in all my years of working, my current workplace is the best environment I've ever experienced  :)  So glad you've found a rental - that is a major stress factor out of the way  :clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:58 am »
We're thinking of staying home again, and once again having an "open home" to anybody that doesn't have anybody to spend Christmas with.  So anybody here who doesn't want to be alone on Christmas Day, feel free to pm me and I'll give you our address and numbers.  Anytime from 12 noon till 6pm.  Bring a plate of food to share, and your own cold drinks (I'll have tea, coffee etc, available).
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen