Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Booked "off work"  (Read 1132 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Booked "off work"
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:24:04 am »
So, we've been in our new home for 6 weeks, and just listed the old one last week.  On Friday, we went to the old house to get it cleaned before the "furnishers" came to "stage" the house.  I was on the stairs leading up from the garage, to clean the baseboards, when I turned to call Jan and remind him to get wood-cleaning stuff, when my foot slipped and I tumbled down the stairs.  I kind of expected my right foot to be the one that would have got sprained, as it was the one to cause the fall, but alas, it was the left foot that somehow got itself sprained.  At first I thought it was all ok (after crying from initial pain and shock).  So the guys went off the store (and I still forgot to mention the wood-cleaning stuff!), and I continued on the cleaning route.  I did the laundry, and then proceeded to the entrance area, where I got to a point that I just sat on the stairs and cried - this time as Jan & Josh returned.  I then tried to continue, and Josh said he'd do the baseboards instead.  I thought, ok, I'll get the extension to the vacuumcleaner, to brush and vacuum the cobwebs on the walls and ceiling (gee, these spiders are prolific here in NZ!!!!), but as I got down the stairs again to the car, I felt the pain just shoot up my foot.  That's when I decided I had rather better get to the dr.

So off we went (needless to say, Jan was NOT impressed with the timing of all this!).  He dropped me off at A&E in Victoria str, and then went back to the house, till I txted him to say he needed to take me to another place to get xrays.  finally we got back to A&E, and he left me again, as he needed to be at the house when they came to stage it.  My foot was put in a cast.  The good news is that I didn't break any bones.  The bad news is that it seems the ligament between the big toe's bones and the second toe's bones may have been torn or pulled. 

So here I am, laid up with a cast on my foot all the way to just under the knee.  No fun at all!!  But it sure is nice that the children are suddenly so helpful!! 

The one thing I will mention here, is that I was impressed with the A&E here.  I've been to the Anglesea one, and it is busy, and a huge time waster.  But the Victoria street one seemed to be quieter, go quicker.  The only downfall was that they no longer have their own Xray unit there, and we had to go to Southern Cross hospital on the other side of the river for that, and then back again.  The doctor I dealt with was a female South AFrican doctor too!  Ons het lekker in AFrikaans gesels! :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Re: Booked "off work"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:52 pm »
Hope you get well soon!!

........... enjoy the rest, hope your fam treats you like a queen!  ;)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:52 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »
Hope you get well soon!!

........... enjoy the rest, hope your fam treats you like a queen!  ;)

Ditto,
Get well soon.
SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline wavegnarl

• Here we go to save the day!!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:38:39 am »
Sorry to hear that.
Hope you get well soon and find some things to keep you entertained to make the time go past faster.