Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our first experience with state health care  (Read 3110 times)

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Our first experience with state health care
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »
Thought I’d share our first ever experience with NZ public health system:

DD (4) went to the local school dental clinic for a check-up.  They discovered 2 cavities in 2 of her molars and referred her immediately to the dental department at the local hospital because they felt she needed to be assessed for a treatment plan which could involve extraction which would require theatre because of her age.  Had to provide copies of passports and they completed forms for her etc and sent them off to the health department for approval.  Last Friday she had an appointment at the hospital dentist.  Thought we were at the wrong hospital when we arrived  :o This state hospital was better than any of the three private hospitals in EL  :)  Dentist was amazing and had the latest state of the art equipment in his consulting room, which was especially for kids right down to the kiddie sized dental chair.  He confirmed that 2 extractions are necessary and has placed her on the high priority list for theatre which he said should be within 3 weeks.  If she was in any pain or there was an infection, she would have gone in straight away  O0  He did however give me a script for an antibiotic just in case an infection occurs while she is waiting for her procedure and told me that should this happen or if they become painful to take her straight away to emergency at the Wellington regional hospital where they have dentists on call 24/7  :o :clap:  When she goes in for her extraction they will first check if they can save the teeth by giving her baby crowns etc.  I had to sign forms with all the treatments spelled out and thought to myself “OMG – what would this have cost me in SA”  :'( :'(  Shudder to think.  And so our first experience has been super great and cost us nothing  :smitten:

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Our first experience with state health care
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:02 pm »

.....and that is what they mean, when they say 'Things work' here in NZ! Just amazing O0 I too shudder to think the cost
if in SA :heeha:

Hope all goes well with your DD.

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:02 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:14 am »
Yes, they are amazing !!  Hope it goes well. 

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:27:23 am »
Hope all goes well!  ;)

Offline Shirls

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:48 am »
When the system works, it works bloody well!!

We are overall pretty happy with the service we have received with our 2 year old... We have however been terribly let down by the Paed he was under as a newborn, who did not make the necessary referrals to ENT when he should have and consequently had to wait for 6 months for him to be seen for grommets living on antibiotics every 10 days!! After slapping him and the New Born Unit with a complaint and a Health & Disability lawyer he suddenly had his op within  3 weeks! Ha!

We are still so grateful for being in NZ and using public health than back in SA - paying dearly for private!

Offline wavegnarl

• Here we go to save the day!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:40 am »
It is great to hear how they actually care for the patients there.
Unlike SA, where the Private hospitals are just here to get rich- they dont even care what happens to the patients in the long run- everytime you come back, its just more money in there pockets.
I can never imagine that in SA they would even mention the fact that they could save the baby teeth by using crowns. That would take too much time in theatre.

My sister's kid has spent so much time in private hospital in the last 2 years. Its been ridiculus and everytime its been for a related problem, whereas if they had just taken the time and effort to treat her properly the fist time and not given quick cures and medicstion- she would never have had to return every few months.

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
A dear friend of ours who'd been on dialysis 3 times a week (for the last I can't remember how many years) passed away a few months ago.  Her husband just recently got a bill for dialysis for dates more than a month after she had died.  Worse than that, one of the dialysis treatments listed on the bill was HIM!!
Fourways Life Private Hospital.  Nice one.  :tickedoff:
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »
A dear friend of ours who'd been on dialysis 3 times a week (for the last I can't remember how many years) passed away a few months ago.  Her husband just recently got a bill for dialysis for dates more than a month after she had died.  Worse than that, one of the dialysis treatments listed on the bill was HIM!!
Fourways Life Private Hospital.  Nice one.  :tickedoff:

DD was hospitalised for a week at the new Life hospital in EL a month before were left for NZ and the care, or should I say lack thereof, was shocking so I'm not surprised  :(  Even her Paed, who was fab, said to us "bet you can't wait to leave SA.  Unfortunately all the good nurses have left"  :(  Well that was pretty obvious.

Offline cyclewife

• Let the roller coaster ride begin
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:25 pm »
Can't wait to get decent treatment from a hospital or doctor.
DH went to doc cause his left was paining... sent him for sonar which showed a Bakers cyst had ruptured behind the knee - this idiot surgeon we were referred to sent him for blood tests...got the bill today - a whopping R 5740!!!! I kid you not.
And to top it all - this doc has yet to call or return a call to tell us what the &&^% these test meant...
I swear they are all in cahoots with each other..the doctors & pathologist.  Money making racket!
I'm so livid right now - they won't be seeing a bare penny out of me - they can stand on their head and whistle ....ok i'll stop there!

Spoke to my friend in CHCH - she says blood test are free in NZ - is that so?
Medicals Done - 31 Aug 2011
LTBV app sent - 16 Sept 2011
LTBV approved - 10 Feb 2012
Passports sent - 10 Feb 2012
Passports received with visa - 20 Feb 2012
House sold - 25 Feb 2012
Attorney instructed - 08 March 2012

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:38:49 am »

Yes, that is correct.  And, most medication that is prescribed costs $3.  My daughter and I had blood tests done (alot, 5 bottles each ) and these were for free.  All swabs, tests, etc that are done are free too.  If there are 3 different medicines, then it is $9. 

It does work very well.  Whenever I need to talk to the doctor or make an appointment, the nurse usually phones me to discuss my situation .  They are so very kind and caring here.  I have even had the nurse phone the next day to ask me how I am. 

Offline Fanzie

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:25:49 am »

[/quote]

Yes it is.   I'm on medication and have been for years,  haven't paid a cent for the blood tests and my medication, which is prescribed every three months costs $3.00 - Just Awesome!!  :clap:

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:40:26 am »
Yip, it sure is great  :clap:  My immune system didn't cope too well with the flu season and I had 3 lots of antibiotics and DD had one - total cost $12   :)

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:40:26 am »

Offline RNienaber

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 07:00:07 am »
My daughter fell with her scooter about 3 weeks ago while at her afternoon caregivers. They phone and I picked her up and took her to the nearest doctors - Shore Care in Northcross. They were not able to take x-rays and referred us to Shore Care in Smales Farm. Service was quick & efficient, and 30 min after arrival @ Shore Care, and $35 later, we were on our way to Starship - Lelanie's arm had to be straigtened before they could put it in cast. We arrived at Starship around 8pm, and allthough we had to wait in line, the nurse was in the waiting room every now and then, checking up on every waiting child, taking temps, giving pain meds. We left the hospital at 00h30, but I was satified with the outcome. The facilities was clean, the tea lady was in the waiting room every hour, offering coffee, tea & cookies - for free!!??
4 Days later our new appointment date at North Shore hospital was mailed to us. I took the day off - ready to be at the hospital for at least half a day.
Unbelievable? We had to be at the hospital at 8.20am. We arrived at 8.10am and new x-rays we done at 8.20, we saw the doctor at 8.30, new cast done and we left the hospital before 9.00am. Belive it!! O0
3 days later we received the follow-up appoinment letter by mail.
If this is how it's going to be, I don't mind visiting the hospitals in New Zealand!!

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 07:15:01 am »
Awesome  O0  Hope she heals quickly  :1hug:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:05:21 am »
A relation of mine has ended up in hospital for a week.  I spoke to her yesterday and she told me not to tell her husband, but she was thoroughly enjoying her stay, even though she was in pain and drugged up.  Said she was being pampered and it was like a five star hotel.