Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Choosing a Xmas Tree  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Choosing a Xmas Tree
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:33:10 am »
Last year we moved into our new house on the 1st December and took our immigration stress out on a tree in our park.  That was our Xmas tree, a rather sorry looking one which we tried to decorate with what our landlady had left us. 

Today, we went to choose our Xmas tree.  How much fun that was.  Walking down rows and rows of trees which have been pruned into beautiful shapes.  As I had my almost new bicycle in the back (Cash Converters :) ) we couldn't fit it in the back, so we were given a beautiful  bright pink ribbon, with our name on, to tie onto the tree.  Yeah, we have our own special tree !! 

I got this idea from someone else on this forum, perhaps Tui or SA3001 (own up please ) to buy one very special xmas tree decoration for each daughter, that they can put on the tree on Xmas morning and keep for their lives.  This I got from a shop called Eyebright Xmas Shop (near Richmond, if anyone is ever here ) and it has the most beautiful things it in ever.  My daughter said it was like in her dreams.  The gardens outside, in full bloom with lots of roses, were so beautiful.  For the boys, there is amazing wooden furniture.  Oh, and we bought our tree here. 

I found our girls bicycles on Trade Me.  Two really good bargains as these bikes are seriously good. 

And, have already ordered my smoked gammon from the gourmet butcher as we like our traditions. We get to pick it up the day before Xmas.  He opens at 4am !! 

Wishing everyone happy dreams as they prepare for Xmas !!! 

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Choosing a Xmas Tree
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:34:58 am »
Ah.....a brand new special  Xmas tree, fantastic Savayla. Yes, just like in Cape Town, we saw the folk sitting selling the most beautiful trees. Ours, we have had for donkey's years now, artificial and needs to be steamed every year on coming out of the box - a mission, but worth it!.....and that lovely idea was not mine. I think I did mention that I used to take a bubble for all the close members of the family, paint their name on it, and hang it......sadly, since leaving South Africa, I cannot seem to do it, without my beloved parents and close family members, my heart is very sore at Christmas.  But that is a stunning idea.

Well done on the bikes. Good old Trade Me, just have to love that site.

.....and happy Christmas count down to you and all!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:34:58 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »
I just love the "fresh" non plastic christmas trees here! just gives a bit more of a christmasy feeling doesn't it, we did not get those in Gauteng and if you did they were horrible and dry

Wow the special Christmas decoration idea is just awesome! O0

Must agree with you Tui, this is our second Christmas in NZ and it feels as if a very obese person is standing on my heart. It is just not the same without all the family and as a mom I have so much pressure on making it special for my children, because they are still children. Last year was quite special with our friends and they knew that it was our first Christmas in NZ but the group has become too big and this year  everybody will do their own thing.

Enjoy the count down to Christmas everybody!

Offline till23

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »
Where are your friends from Pretoria - Waljo I think?

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
Hi, they live around the corner we see each other quite often and I still love her to bits. We will spend Christmas with them and one other couple with kids.