Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Smooth Cottage cheese and Christmas ham  (Read 2376 times)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Smooth Cottage cheese and Christmas ham
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »
Hi

I can't seem to find smooth cottage cheese anywhere, I want to make a dessert for christmas, any advice on where I can find this?

I would also love to hear how you prepare your Christmas ham. Last year I used honey and mustard it was fab but I would love to get some other ideas.
 ;)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: Smooth Cottage cheese and Christmas ham
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:22 am »
You can't get it here.  What I do when I need a l-f smooth cottage cheese for my cheesecake, is to just get a cottage cheese and I blend it with one of those hand blenders.  Annoying, but it works.  I also find that the cream cheese is harder than ours at home, so have to beat that with an electric beater before using it . 

Xmas ham.  Our tradition is to buy a smoked gammon, bone in.  We have already ordered ours from our local gourmet butcher.  I know that New World was prepared to do it for us too.  The night before Xmas, hubby mixes half maize meal and half flour into a thick paste like dough.  He then covers the whole gammon in it, making sure  it is thick and wont' crack. We then put it into the oven at 180 degrees for the first half hour, then we put it right down to about 120 degrees where it cooks the whole night.  Imagine the smell when we get up in the morning !!! 

The covering is then removed, and the gammon fat is then sliced and glazed and we get crackling.  I then put cherries and pineapple rings on it, and keep it warm. 

This year, we are not doing the whole roast potatoes and vegetables, but doing more of a cold lunch.  Gammon, salads, home made piccallilly, home made apple sauce, home made mustard, etc etc.  And for dessert, a berry pavlova and chocolate pud.  Plus the girls are making a gingerbread house this year. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:22 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:05:46 am »
Thanks Savayla, will have to get a hand blender then.

I am so hungry now, your Christmas food sounds awesome!! We usually have a cold (salads etc. ) on Christmas eve and eat the leftovers on Christmas day. My hubby would love a warm dinner on Christmas Eve for the past 17 years and his mom always won the fight for salads and cold meats. I think I am going to make him some veggies and potatoes with the ham this year. I have a fab cheesecake pudding that I will make and our special Christmas ice cream.  I will also make a home made mustard (family secret on my husband's side but I have given the recipe to all my friends -  ;D).

What do you use for your glazing your ham?

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:41 am »
I will also make a home made mustard (family secret on my husband's side but I have given the recipe to all my friends -  ;D).

What do you use for your glazing your ham?

So, I am your friend aren't I  ???   :D  Mustard recipe please. 

Glaze.  2  tbsps runny honey (warm slightly in not runny)
2  tbls brown sugar
2 Tbs  whole grain mustard or 1 tsp mustard powder 
1 Tbs  worcestershire sauce
1 tbs tomato puree
1 Tbs  balsamic vinegar
Grated rind and juice of 1 small orange

I also put a couple of whole cloves into the fat before I glaze.    I also usually double the recipe

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:05 am »
Thanks for the recipe!!  :1hug:

Yep, you are my friend and therefore the sharing of the family recipe  ;D   ;) mustard recipe (microwave)- also works well as a dip :

250 ml sugar
25 ml mustard powder
12.5 ml plain flower
1ml salt
125 ml vinegar
125 ml water
2 large eggs

1. Mix sugar, mustard powder, flower and salt.
2.Add vinegar and water and boil for 4 min.
3. Beat eggs and add to mixture, boil for 3 minutes or until thick.

Another one that does not require any cooking:
mix the following:
1 can of condense milk
250 ml sugar
110g mustard powder

add and beat well:

200ml mayonnaise
200ml vinegar

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:13:30 am by frodo/maya »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:52 am »
Thanks !!!   :)

Offline Shirls

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:35:38 am »
I make a cheese cake with cottage cheese too and the only "cottage cheese" that works best is sadly Phily ... breaks the bank to buy it but it is so worth it! I also use it for my cottage cheese icing as nothing else comes up as smooth or creamy.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:35:38 am »