Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Oh, no, no....not good!  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Oh, no, no....not good!
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:37:17 pm »
Our daughter showed me on Friday night a little red rash she had on upper legs and tummy, lower back, thought it was a heat rash, as it has been so humid here....

showed me 5 min ago
and it has spread!!!! :heeha: She had measles as a baby, can it return??.....school hols, this is so not good. Taking her up to the Pharmacy later for advice. Oh yes, she says it's itching :o

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Ostrich

Re: Oh, no, no....not good!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »
It's possible, depending on how mild she had it? Is it possible that she had misdiagnosed rubella and not measles? I thought measles is not itchy, so it could be just a rash or even something like fifths disease.

My daughter was immunized at 9 months, but still got a measles rash at 12 months when in SA. She had flu-like symptoms for the week before (acting sleepy, and vomited once). Then one morning, she developed a rash that spread rapidly across her whole body. She didn't seem bothered by it, though. Our pediatrician told us to keep her home because it's airborne and can be spread to vulnerable people if you bring the child into a clinic. He said that she'd have a much milder case since she had some immunity from the immunization, and that only 20% of people will actually show the rash.

I would call Healthline before bringing her in, since they might ask you to stay home (they give free medical advice, a government service): 0800 611 116

Hope she feels better soon!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:40:37 pm by Ostrich »
SMC, from SA - EOI Submitted: 13 Dec 2010, EOI Selected: 15 Dec 2010, EOI Decision Successful: 04 Jan 2011, ITA Received: 06 Jan 2011, ITA Submitted: 08 March 2011, CO Allocated: 22 March 2011, Telephone Interview: 4 May 2011, Medicals clear: 23 May 2011, Residence Approved: 7 June 2011, NZ 19 July!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:02:13 am »
Thanks for that Ostrich, but had her checked out earlier and thank God, it's just an allergy? To what, we are stumped. Hope the pharmacist was correct, prescribed a antihistamine....let see how it goes. But does look very nasty :confused:

x

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:30 am »
I thought I had measles a few weeks ago.  Noticed some spots on my thighs, and the next morning I was covered from head to toe, literally, I had a spotty botty !!!  The itchying was so bad that I eventually had to go to my doctor and it turns out that the penicillin I was on for a staph. infection was causing an allergic reaction.  This, after 2 weeks of  being on it. 

So, yes, I can believe it .

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:58:36 am »
Shame Savayla, that couldn't have been fun :( The medication seems to be doing her the world of good....still don't know what caused it, the problem is it could be one in 1000 things, from soap, food, drink, sand  and the list goes on and on....

x

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
I was thinking that if it's itchy, is it not chickenpox?  That's been doing the rounds...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen