Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Some more paragraphs to add to the SA going to NZ book...  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Chan in Wellington

Some more paragraphs to add to the SA going to NZ book...
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »
A few things we did and are happy with and a few we would have done differently....

My OH left SA 6 weeks before me and our kids and I HATED that decision initially, but in retrospect, it was the right thing (for us) to do.  By the time we arrived, my OH had bought a vehicle, secured a rental, got together a few furnishings and set up bedrooms for all of us, so we just settled right in. 

A few things we would have done differently - not packed the following in our container:
Washing machine
Microwave
TV
Fridge/freezer
Hi-Fi

I would have bought a few thousand R's worth of clothing in SA and packed into our container, after seeing the price and quality of clothing in NZ.

'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline smcspan

Re: Some more paragraphs to add to the SA going to NZ book...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:25 am »
You mean there's no Mr Price equal??  Will I survive?? LOVE cheap and cheerful clothes...

PS: Since if our prayers get answered we also would likr to come to Wellington.  Are you guys settled in and enjoying it? Shopping, food and travelling all sorted.

Would love a real take on life in Wellington! :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:25 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:59 am »
You mean there's no Mr Price equal??  Will I survive?? LOVE cheap and cheerful clothes...

I love clothes, have a wardrobe full of them , and lots still in a container in SA.  Here I go to the Hospice, Salvation Army shops adn they clothes are simply amazing.  Priced from 50 c - $4, they are good quality and funky.  I know which shops to go to for what.  Kit my girls out too, and my mom is having a ball.  They are truly wonderful.  I am simply amazed what people throw away.  Everything has been washed and nothing has stains or holes.  They look new !! 

The only things I don't buy are tracksuit pants and underwear.  That is bought new.  And socks .

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:05 am »
A few things we would have done differently - not packed the following in our container:
Washing machine
Microwave
TV
Fridge/freezer
Hi-Fi

Why not, Chan?  Are they cheaper in NZ or what?
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:00:55 am »
@ 2GatJakkels - personal experience for everyone I think, but for us, waiting for a washing machine, microwave, fridge etc has been very inconvenient.  We have a borrowed bar fridge (have to shop every day), a rented washing machine and we went and bought a microwave and tv.  Our container was packed in October and will only get here end February....so a long wait (it was shared).  I'm sure you could rent most of the stuff though, but we have found the prices either the same, or cheaper, you just have to shop around and there are always sales on here.  Just my thoughts.

@ smcspam - loving it in Wellington, we made the right decision to come to NZ.  It is a really beautiful, wonderful city with some amazing suburbs, you just have to chose where you are going to live very, very carefully!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.