Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Honest cost of living and some ramblings :)  (Read 4843 times)

Offline zerohennie

Honest cost of living and some ramblings :)
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
 :nosey:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:44:33 pm by zerohennie »

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
Re: Honest cost of living and some ramblings :)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »
Houses down in Wellington are fairly expensive and you get less house for your money, but if you commute to Kapiti everyday – 61kms from wellington to Paraparaumu then you get a lot more house for your newly acquired $$$
Examples
2 bedroom house fully furnished in Petone, no garage, 1 bathroom +- $420 per week

Hello fellow Kapiti Coaster :-)
I agree, property process and rentals are so much cheaper up the coast. Its one of the reasons we moved up here. I also like that everything is flat and most houses have decent size gardens.

Using public transport/the bus from Petone every day to work in Wellington +- $14 per day (+-10kms either way)
3 Bedroom house – huge place – 2 x garages, 1 x study, central heating, 2 x bath rooms, 2 x living areas etc in Kapiti +- $450 per week
But also keep in mind that if you decide on not living in Wellington and do the commute thing you have to consider maintenance on your vehicle or you can do the +-$280 per month train ride in, petrol alone would work out to about $50 for three days driving, also depends on your car and foot…mine is a twin turbo 2lt…so not very economical
Petrol currently +- $2.16 per litre 95 octane, +-$2.21 for 98 Octane and +-$2.01 for 91 Octane, also depends on where you buy and what you buy
Parking in Wellington can cost about $7.50 per day on street parking if you are lucky enough to get a spot  but for motorcycles it is free
Groceries

I use to do the train thing. Got sick of it because it was an extra 30minutes each way if I took into account getting to and from the stations in the mornings/afternoons. Now I just pull out the garage, jump into my car and drive to work. Parking is expensive, but there are cheaper parking places around. If you lucky your company will offer subsidised parking. I drive a small Toyota Yaris, and its extremely economical, I get 700km out of a tank, which costs $70 to fill.

PS your Speedo must be out. Its 50km from Wellington to Paraparaumu, 55 to Waikanae where we live.

To buy groceries in smaller towns like Petone is a lot cheaper than areas like Kapiti, our grocery bill went up by about +-$250 per month just by moving from Petone to Paraparaumu beach, yes each supermarket has different prices even though they are the same group.
Pak and save is a lot like Pick and Pay

This is interesting, going to try it out. We do all of our shopping at the local Pack n save.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:33 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:44:49 pm by zerohennie »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »
Mmmmmm - wonder what the prices are like at Pak n Save Porirua - might be an option for us Kapiti Coasters as Petone is so far.  Also like the flatness and the big gardens.  My car is a Suzuki Alto -1000cc - it is not our family car - and I bought it specifically with economy in mind.  So I manage on $50 fuel per week from Kapiti to CBD  :)

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:03:50 am »
You really have to look around for rentals - we live in Churton Park and pay $480 a week for a modern, new (no damp or smell like the majority of rentals we have seen) three-bedroomed, two-bathroomed house with a deck and garden.  Bus stop is right across the road.  My OH works in Petone and I'll be working in the city, so it's perfect for us.  The kids get on the school bus both two and from school.

I am not a fan of Pak 'n Save at all, like a huge Makro, although they are the cheapest.  New World is lovely, I find it like Woolworths food, but the most expensive.  I usually shop at Countdown, I buy all their specials, there is always something on your list that is on special.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:10:00 am by Chan in Wellington »
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:18 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:45:03 pm by zerohennie »

Offline BattleShip

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:25 am »
zerohennie - I think its fair to say that you  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten: the Kapiti Coast  ;D   I'm a huge Kapiti fan too !  We are however very happy in a suburb closer to the city - isn't each person 'king of their own castle' after all ?   O0
Been here 4 years and I'm STILL shocked at the expensive cost of living !  I particularly have an issue with the cost of clothing and the quality !  I'd happily pay $15 for a kids t-shirt, if it was Woolworths quality, unfortunately, its more of a Pep Stores quality at a Woolworths price  :2funny:
We're fortunate enough to have been able to buy a house last year - our mortgage has worked out about the same as the cost of renting (give or take $100).
Things that curb the cost of living :  TradeMe, Salvation Army, Trash Palace, SaveMart, 'free' activities like going to the beach, museums, tramping, picnics etc etc, walking (not driving everywhere), cooking bulk meals and freezing them, GrabOne, Off-The-Back, 1day deals and Pak n Save Porirua !!!  Happy Valentines Day everybody  :-*

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:25 am »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:32 am »
@ zerohennie - we have not been to  Paraparaumu beach yet, but been to a lot of the other beaches in the Scorching Bay area and loved them.  Churton Park is divine, we love it and it's very convenient being so close to the city.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:37 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:45:18 pm by zerohennie »

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:10:54 am »
Just a few things to add (my 2c worth :), not all GP's are free for children under 6. We go to GP's in Johnsonville and most of the ones in that area and Tawa, where we live are $19 for a child. Same as what you would pay at the Accident and Medical Centre.
The 20hrs free per week is only if your children are over 3, under 3 and you pay the full fees. Though you can get Govt. subsidies but that is all dependent on what you earn and how many children you have etc.

In my view I would say Pak n Save is more like Checkers was 10yrs ago, Countdown is a Pick n Pay, and NW is slightly more upmarket than Countdown but not quite at Woolworths level.
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:53 am »
Oh yes just in terms of rentals - we have a 3bed, 2 bath house with lounge, diningroom, playroom and toilet downstairs and automated garage in Tawa for $475pw. So if you look around you can find worthwhile rentals.

Paraparaumu Beach is awesome often take our kids that way for an ice-cream and splash in the waves :) Have thought a few times about moving that way but with both of us working in the city are not to keen on the commute especially with small ones.

@Chan I do agree about Pak and Save just cant face the one in Porirua though I have heard the one in Lower Hutt is much nicer.
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:45:32 pm by zerohennie »

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »

On another note....tyres are frikking expensive, putting on some new ones on the wife's car today 4 x tyres with alignment $780

Last time I needed tyres I found a guy on trademe that was selling all sorts of sizes.
Bought 4 bridgestones for half the price as to what they were at Beaurepaires. Had them delivered to my door, then went and got them fitted (At the same Beaurepaires). The shop assistant nearly fell off his chair when I told him what I paid  :D :D :D

I have also found that you should shop around, sometimes the quotes from different dealers can really vary in price. Its easy to bargain these guys down as the markup on tyres is huge.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:03:32 pm by groenlemoen »

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:45:47 pm by zerohennie »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:17 am »
Gosh, Wellington is more expensive than I'd realised!!! Was looking into the possibilities there... Maybe best to stay where I am ;)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved