Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Honest cost of living and some ramblings :)  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: Honest cost of living and some ramblings :)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 08:34:39 am »
@ Heaven - seems Welly pays better....we are living better here than we were in SA.  No regrets.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:48:17 am »
Wellington and Auckland have become among the most expensive cities in the world for expatriates to live in.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/business/6420557/Wellington-expensive-for-expats

@Heaven, you right. Its expensive. But its all relative. If you can drop the posh SA lifestyle, Kudus 4 you if you don't live the posh lifestyle, you will find that financially u much better off here in NZ than SA.

I guess its how you look at it. Yes I find things ridiculously expensive here, and other things are cheap. Overall I don't think many people are living a cosier lifestyle here in NZ than what they had in SA. Those that deny it, are mostly lying. Its expensive here, and I earn double the amount here when converting my salary to Rands when compared to what I was earning in SA. But overall my lifestyle here is far better. We don't go out and eat twice a week, go to the movies once a week, have a garden service etc.. If we tried that here, we would be broke. Saffas that try to mirror their SA lifestyle here quickly fall short.

The minimum wage is now $13.50 per hour. Its great if you are a low wage earner,  but its the root cause for the expensive prices just about everywhere.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:48:17 am »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »
We're doing about the same financially as back in SA, BUT we spend our money on very different, more satisfying things than we did in SA.  I now find us spending money on outdoor activities/weekends away rather than clothes, eating out, movies, hair etc.  Now we want bikes, kayaks, camping stuff etc  :) 

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:39 am »
We have eaten like kings for the past 2 days.  The first night we had one of my famous roast pork in milk, sage, garlic and lemon.  I buy the pork collar, which is around 3kg for $7.95 in the section of Pak n Save where the dog bones are. 

The second was thai mussels and rice.  The mussels cost $7 and fed 5 of us. 

Yes, you can live like Kings without paying a ransom.

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »
I agree 110% with SA3001 we are also about the same off as in SA maybe a bit better, but we also tend to rather spend money on out door activities these days, we don't need to go to the movies, thats what SKY pay on demand is for :) even though I must honestly say I have probably watched every new movie before it hits the cinemas :) go and get those bikes SA3001 you guys must come and join us on our rides :) we also want to do the kayak and camping stuff, but luckily we are staying in NZ and it is not just a holiday so we have all our lives to still do all those things with our Friends

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
go and get those bikes SA3001 you guys must come and join us on our rides :) we also want to do the kayak and camping stuff, but luckily we are staying in NZ and it is not just a holiday so we have all our lives to still do all those things with our Friends

O0 O0 O0 O0