Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Cash  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Aimzy

Cash
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:32 pm »
Hi guys  :peace:
How much cash can I bring 'cowboy style' in south African rands ?
I am planning on bring 10 000 cash Which will be +- 1538 NZ dollars, depending on the exchange rate. My husband will also be taking money, much more than that, but not sure how he will take it.
I do know that I have to declare it (which I will!) but does anybody know what the maximum amount of cash is that can be taken on you?
I would appreciate a reply  :clap:
Much love, Aimee
Lose your pride, lose your patience, and lose you mind, but whatever you do, don't lose hope

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
Re: Cash
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »
you can bring any amount of money. Why would NZ restrict the amount of cash coming in?

If you had more $10000 (I think about that) NZ cash you would need to declare. No problem  though.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »

Offline Aimzy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:12 pm »
Hi Jafa77  :)
I thinks maybe someone has been watching too many episodes of 'Border Security' on discovery channel  :whistle:
I know that New Zealand is not as strict as Australia, but I just wanted to be sure  ::)
I've never even been overseas before but my dad lives in Auckland, so got the perfect excuse to come over! And I miss my daddy  :smitten:
Lose your pride, lose your patience, and lose you mind, but whatever you do, don't lose hope

Offline thombatt

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:43:39 pm by thombatt »

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:21 am »
If you're just bringing money for your trip here (i.e you're not transferring your life savings to NZ yet), then the best way is either with a travel wallet type card in a preset currency (AUD will do) or, just put your trip money into your credit card as that's really convenient and I found the transaction charges really were negligible.

If you're planning to bring all your money with you and staying, then I suggest you open a NZ bank account online (most of the big banks here have that facility) and then do an international transfer from your bank in SA to your bank here in NZ as a travel allowance.  I think that's up to R1M rand now?  Or is it still R400K?
07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!

Offline rodney

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:27:37 am »
Hi guys  :peace:
How much cash can I bring 'cowboy style' in south African rands ?
I am planning on bring 10 000 cash Which will be +- 1538 NZ dollars, depending on the exchange rate. My husband will also be taking money, much more than that, but not sure how he will take it.
I do know that I have to declare it (which I will!) but does anybody know what the maximum amount of cash is that can be taken on you?
I would appreciate a reply  :clap:
Much love, Aimee
Another way is to transfer it direct into your fathers account and he can draw it, when you are here, as and when you need it . I think they do allow you up to 1M but best find out from your bank as they have a special section which will help you with that. At least then you do not have to worry about carring so much money with you. Also be carefull where you change your money as various places have various rates.