Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: 2 Year Update  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
2 Year Update
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
Well, we have been here in Nelson for 2 years now, in NZ for 2 years and 26 days  :D   Thought I would give an update. 

Took us 1 year to get PR, one year of incredible stress.  Now we have 4 - 41/2 years to wait until we get citizenship and I just know that the time will fly.  We left South Africa 3 1/2 years ago, and still, I do not miss it one bit.  I am lucky that I have no family there, and no best friends.  My husband has family there, but I have never been very close to them. 

Am I still happy ?  Very .  Happy with where we live, happy with having chosen New Zealand, happy with the house that I am currently renting, with the people we have surrounded ourselves with.  We have made very good friends here, as have our girls. 

They are homeschooled so I cannot comment on the schooling.  Although I read the other day that the education system is 7th best in the world.  However, I can comment on all that is made available to them and that is fantastic.  And the Ministry of Education actually pays us to school them too.  $700 each a year.   So this is a great help. 

But, as most people, we have taken a knock financially, and this does cause us stress.  I would say that the only thing stressing us out is finances and our dogs.  Have 3 dogs and man, if it isn't one thing it is the next.  First they became escape artists, and we have gotten to know some neighbours better than we wanted, and the dog control is our buddy too.  Now that we have them contained, they bark for 1 1/2 hours when we are away.  Can't recall ever having a problem in SA with our dogs. 

The honesty and the trust that Kiwi's have still surprises me, in a good way.  We still have a long way to go in terms of trusting people. 

But apart from that, we have no regrets. Not even with the weather.  Our fires have started, and are expecting snow on Sunday.  Yippee.  I like to see what is making me cold, and the snow on the mountains is a beautiful reminder.

The warts ?  I still think NZ needs to get tougher with the youth here and show them who is boss and that they have to respect the cops. 

Alcohol abuse seems to be getting worse, not just amongst the younger generation.  I think it is crazy how here in Nelson, they need 30 cops (Not joking) at night to patrol one street which has a few bars, to make sure there is order.

I see a lot of people going over the ditch, and wish the government would do something about this, rather than a quick fix solution like selling off our assets.

I still think they drive badly.

Wish the government wouldn't be so quick with their support when young girls fall pregnant.  Makes it way too easy for them as they get set up with a flat, etc.  Of course, on the other hand, having support like that is great.

I still cannot stand the way the youth dress.  Have not seen what is happening in SA, but I just feel they have no class or style.  Very shallow yes, but man, some of it is horrid and literally stops me in my tracks.  This coming from a lady with tattoos and nose ring herself. 

I guess that is all. 

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: 2 Year Update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:53:34 am »
Glad you are so happy and good for other people to read...and those who are 'depressed' over in NZ.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:53:34 am »

Offline rodney

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »
They say after 2 years you will definitely not want to go back to SA so it is sure ringing true in your case and I must agree that there is much more positives than negatives. I was however thinking about the negative things you said and must agree that I believe that NZ has a problem with teenagers drinking and smoking, but having said that I must say they are trying to do something about it such as the rule that the teenagers cannot have any alcoholic drink and drive whatsoever and the smoking they are wanting to change all advertising packaging, increase the price tremendously and make NZ a smoke free country by 2015. This I must say is not going down too well with a lot of people in NZ at the moment.
Then I thought about SA and must tell you that if I was a drug smuggler I could have taken as much as I wanted to into SA as in the last year the last 3 trips I have done back from NZ (the last being 2 days ago) after going through customs there was absolutely no security control. There are about 20 personnel standing there greeting you as you pass but doing absolutely nothing about searching. They do however check when you leave the country, so it seems you can bring things in but you cannot take anything out. At this rate, with all the drugs around, can you imagine what SA is going to be like in a couple of year’s time?

Offline thombatt

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:25:56 pm by thombatt »