Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What, an alarm system???  (Read 3208 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: What, an alarm system???
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:41:21 pm »
Let me tell, you fall straight back into that "hold your bag tight, lock all doors and look over your shoulder" syndrome....  I was amazed how quickly I went bck into that mode when I went back in 2005.  It was awful though.  I just couldn't feel as free as I do here.

And the only reason I may now still go back, would be to visit with some special friends i still have there...  but I think I'll wait another few years... or pay their tickets to come visit me! Now there's an idea!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 10:50:38 pm »
I just don't want to put myself in that position again. I have felt this awsome freedom for so long now :)
I would never forgive myself if I went back to visit and something happened to any of my family :(

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 10:50:38 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:47 pm »
agreed

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 10:54:46 pm »
I know.....
When I had to go back in 2005, it was for my mom's memorial.  She'd passed away very suddenly.  I didn't want to take the kids with, for that very reason, but in the end my sisters convinced me to bring them along, because "kids can do without their dad for a while, but not without their mom".   In the end I'm very glad I did take them, as we had some awesome GOOD experiences in the lion park at Krugersdorp, and in the Kruger National Park.  And fortunately NO bad experiences - I believe we had God's angels looking after us!  O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 11:03:46 pm »
My hubby and I have discussed this many times and we still don't have an answer, what would we do if any of our parents passed away? My sister seems to have the answer......why would you want to come here if they are not here anymore ???...very true I suppose?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 02:23:56 am »
In a way... with our parents, none of their children were in SA anymore.  They were alone... we all flew over (without spouses, and I was only one who brought kids along).  It was a very memorable time together.  We cried and laughed together.  It was the first time in 12 years that all four children were together under the same roof.  My mom would have loved to see us all there.... I hope she had a moment to sneak a peek inbetween meeting all the Bible Heroes, and Jesus Himself.  :)   We had one evening that we were all around the dinner table after supper (true SA style), with our steaming mugs of coffee.  And we started reminiscing on our childhood.  With my other two sisters being closer in age it was so hilarious to hear them:  "I remember when you...."  "No I didn't! It was YoU!" "No man, I did this and you did that"   We were in fits of laughter   ;D
I'm glad I went.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline rodz

• Rodney
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 04:12:18 am »
My hubby and I have discussed this many times and we still don't have an answer, what would we do if any of our parents passed away? My sister seems to have the answer......why would you want to come here if they are not here anymore ???...very true I suppose?

I think its an individual thing this issue. A guy working with me mentioned the same thing. My father passed away when i was 2 years old. My mother single handedly raised 6 kids all by herself and made sure we completed our schooling as that was her promise to my father. If anything should happen to her i will be home in a flash. She wont be their anymore but i could not live with myself,nor the wife and kids, if we did not pay respect to such a great woman.

The other thing is that i also gave her many problems in my late teens,dopping,late nights,early mornings,sleeping out,which i have apologized for over and over again. But once i settled down i started to realize what i had done and i have tried to make it up to her in any way i can. I phone her almost every night to ask howzat going and how was her day.

So ja i could would not care if SA is a war zone(and i mean war zone) or not i will definitely be back for that and only that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:32:40 am by rodz »
German Engineering At Its Best-BMW

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 04:12:18 am »

Badprop

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 07:16:20 am »
Moms are very special people and we only realize what they did for us when we grow up and have children of our own.  And when they are gone we miss them terribly and wish we had more time with them.  If I had a chance to I would have gone to her funeral no matter where in the world I was.  She was my best friend.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 04:46:33 am »
You're right Colleen, only if you have something valuable, then get an alarm.

Actually the opposite - if you have something really valuable, hide it in a really nondescript place, and don't bother with alarm systems.   It's exactly that alarm system and all hte high walls and stuff that makes the burglar think you HAVE something to steal - so he will use the alarms as a challenge not a "afskrikker". 

When I was growing up, and this way before things got out of hand in SA, we had neighbours all around us, who had fences (albeit low ones at the time), and dogs (even though some of them were just ankle-biters).  We did have a little dog, but he stayed inside when we were home.  We did not have a fence around the front of our yard, it was wide open.  Well, all the neighbours were burgled at least once during my lifetime there.  We only had our Hi-Ace semi-stolen  - Dad used to take out the distributor rotor, so they would try to steal it, and could only push it down the road, then gave up.  ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

worsie

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 11:30:05 am »
You're right Colleen, only if you have something valuable, then get an alarm.

Actually the opposite - if you have something really valuable, hide it in a really nondescript place, and don't bother with alarm systems.   It's exactly that alarm system and all hte high walls and stuff that makes the burglar think you HAVE something to steal - so he will use the alarms as a challenge not a "afskrikker". 

I have often wondered if everyone in SA had to take their burglar bars off, get rid of the alarms and armed response, take the walls down etc, would we see less violent crime in SA? The guys would just be able to walk in, take what they want and walk out again, nobody getting hurt in the process.

Reminds me of that add on TV, anybody seen it where this robber is in this house and the owners are bargaining with him on what to take.

But then again, I suppose nobody in SA would have anything left.

Offline alwyn

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 08:15:45 am »
I see violent crimes are on the rise in NZ.   The stats don't really make sense though as it is measured in thousands of occurrences.  Take a look at http://www.interest.co.nz under News -> Charts.

worsie

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 08:36:44 am »
Violent crime is on the rise everywhere in the world. But at least here the criminals get caught, and put in jail.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 08:36:44 am »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 08:58:10 am »
Yes here they don't just run away, they run for president.

worsie

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 09:03:11 am »
And back to the topic of this post, the house we renting has an alarm system. We have never used it, don't care and don't know how it works. We have often forgotten to lock our doors here too...

On another note, we experienced our first taste of crime in NZ. Our daughters kindergarten was broken into over the school holidays, they stole a digital camera. It must have been kids as they had nailed the door closed after they left as a joke. So NZ is not crime free... At least there is no (or very little) violent crime here, and when it happens it makes the news, and the criminals get caught.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 09:11:30 am »
Both houses I have lived in in NZ have had alarms and we have used them when we are out. There are no burglar bars or that sort of thing so it is VERY VERY easy to break into a house. Mostly young gang/drug related teenagers/20s. They dont break in when you are home. Alot of it is opportunistic. For eg: you leave garage open, they steal tools. You leave door or windows open you might lose a DVD player and camera. It is not violent and they would run away if you walked in on them.

NZ is certainly not crime free, nowhere is. But crime rate is low compared to SA, and criminals get caught (quickly) , go to trial and are jailed. Simple.