Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Looking for a job  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Aimzy

Looking for a job
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:12:13 am »
Hi everyone.
I haven't been on this site in a while. I've been in Auckland since 8 June.
Me and my husband came over cowboy style.
And it is not easy!
We have had no luck finding work yet   

I have experience in retail as a shop assistant. I sold cosmetics, perfume and skin care products, as well as clothing. I have +- 2.5 years of experience with this.
I also have experience in reception. I worked at a lovely beauty salon for a year. Loved my boss dearly but had to resign as we were coming over here.
I also have experience in Promotion work. I did in-store promotions for about 6 months.

I am willing to take on any new challenges that come my way.

I really hope we get jobs soon as I really don't want to face a plane ride back to Johannesburg   

I would appreciate it if you all could keep an eye out for me.

Regards, Aimee
xx
Lose your pride, lose your patience, and lose you mind, but whatever you do, don't lose hope

Offline Siouxzee

Re: Looking for a job
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:37 am »
Hi Aimee

I saw in previous posts your Dad has residency is he not able to sponsor you to get a family visa?

What does your husband do?

Have you applied for jobs in other cities besides Auckland?

Just out of curiosity what happened with your EOI?

Sue
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:37 am »

Offline thombatt

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:24 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:35:45 pm by thombatt »

Offline Aimzy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:16:09 am »
Hi Sue

Thanks to thombatts information, my father sponsoring me is not an option anymore, and Im married anyway. Am under 23 so I could have, if I divorced Daniel.
Daniel is a legal advisor in the insurance industry.
I have not applied in any other cities as I'm staying with my dad in Auckland CBD, and don't have accommodation anywhere else. Nothing happend with the EOI. It's been more than 6 months  :(

Lose your pride, lose your patience, and lose you mind, but whatever you do, don't lose hope

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:18 am »
Aimee

That is a pity and sorry to hear about your EOI :(

Did a search on seek for Insurance Advisor - there are some jobs advertised by AA Life and they don't list having a work permit as a pre-requisite so might be worthwhile to apply as they might sponsor. http://www.seek.co.nz/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=insurance+advisor&nation=3001

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

Offline almostkiwi

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
Hi.

Wow, how your post took me back a few months when we landed in NZ cowboy style (but we have 2 small children as well).
Yes, this must be one if not the most daunting ways of doing it. Not knowing your fate at the end of the road with no job and income from the start. Luckily you have your father for some support.

I was extremely "lucky" in landing an awesome job in the insurance industry as a relationship Manager at the biggest broking firm in NZ.
If hubby goes into this field, and this is with some experience, it will have to as a broker as a broker is on the 2nd list of skilled jobs in NZ and with that you will be able to get a work visa and a very good chance of getting you EOI in again under the skilled migrant category as what we are doing at the moment. Call centre agents in this industry unfortunately will not land you a work visa. Tried that route first unless the employer can prove that there is no one els with the skills to do that call centre job. (Which is pretty hard to do what was told to me)
Might be a good idea to try AON insurance brokers (2nd biggest broking firm in NZ) i will look out within the company that work for (crombie lockwood) if there isn't something as they are accredited employers in NZ.

As your statement says, don't loose hope. The right thing at the right time. God will bless you. Keep your faith very close to you as that is one of the only things that will always be true to you no matter what. Our God is great and will bless the believers.

Regards
Almostkiwi
28/03/2012: WTR application submitted
12/04/2012: WTR permit approved
03/04/2012: EOI Submitted
04/04/2012: EOI selected from pool
17/05/2012: ITA received
28/08/2012: ITA submitted with all doc's
05/10/2012: CO Appointed
10/12/2012: Residency approved

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »

Offline Aimzy

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:33:27 am »
Hi guys.

Siouxzee thank you so much for the information. He is in the process of applying.

Almost kiwi, that's great. Lucky you! But coming over cowboy style with two children could not have been easy! Daniel is on the computer right now looking at what you just told us.

If anyone would like to add me on Facebook it's 'Aimee Loots' my profile picture is of me and my husband. Just saying, because there is another 'Aimee Loots' out there I think.  :D

Thank you so much for all your replies! I really appreciate it!  :)

Offline lindsay101

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »
Hi There everyone

I thought I might ask for some advice.
Im a 18 year old and iv been doing some short courses on accounting and bookkeeping and have years experience working in the hospitality industry. might sound weird but started working at a young age.
I want to save up and go to new zealand as its been a dream since like forever! i know im only 18 but you know when you have a dream and everyone keeps telling you that you still young and wait for it, thats just not me! i want to do something it has to happen!
so basically if anyone has some advice for me to go to NZ and start my life!
I dont have family or anyone over there.
O yes and any advice would be great!

Thank you!
Cant wait for your replies
Heres my email aswell if anyone wants it
lindsaygo16@gmail.com

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »
Aimyz

We came over cowboy style, 2 kids.  Not easy.  We did it twice, the first was a flop and we went back home.  But, that didn't deter us, and 8 years later we are back , have PR and have been here for 2 years !!  If you want it bad enough, it can work.

My DH found his job by word of mouth.  It was through me joining a group of moms and kids (you could join something else as can he ) and from that, a mom had a husband, who was looking for a person, and we had a job offer in no time. 

I have heard it so often, that it is word of mouth, and knocking on doors.  So my suggesting would be not to just sit at home and phone and read the papers and look on the internet, but to get out there, and knock on doors, as hard as that sounds.

Good luck

Lindsay

If I were young again, I would do it all differently.  But you are really young, and in a way, it is easier for you.  Living on a tiny shoe string, taking huge changes, etc, does not faze us when we are young.  So don't give up your dreams, no matter how long it takes .  You can still come over here , and live for free, and look for a job. 

Have you heard of wwoofing ?  Willing Workers on Organic Farms.   You work for them, for 4 hours a day, and they provide your accomodation and food.  This gives you enough time to go out and find a job during the day.  Once you get a job offer, then it is easy from there. 

The restaurant where I work, is full of wwoofers, and some of them even manage to take a day job to earn money, then work in the restaurant at night.  Some of them have been here for months. A few of my friends, have wwoofers living in their houses or in a room outside, and they have to work in their gardens or houses. 

however, getting a job offer, with no qualifications nor experience, is going to be very, very difficult.  so, it would be better to get down to getting more qualifications, and more experience, in one field.

good luck

Offline Aimzy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »
Lindsay. Shot for hijacking my post!  :knuppel2:
But....  :welcome:
I'm 19. Also started working at a younger age like 15 I think.
I arrived in Auckland 8 June, sent in about 100 applications, and didn't hear back from many. The ones that did phone, told me that they are not willing to go through the whole process of helping me get a work permit.
I have an interview at a college this afternoon for a receptionist. And I have another interview tomorrow morning at a swim school.
Things are like dead quiet for weeks, and then bam! 2 interviews in 2 days.
I'm married, and I've come over with my husband, on 'holiday' for 3 months.
He is qualified and has heaps of experience, but no one wants to offer him a job because he is on a holiday visa.
It's not easy. I will tell you that. I had so many people knocking me down. You are never gonna make it. You are going to miss your mom. You are going to come back.
Right now we are trying for me to get a job, to get a work permit, and the he can get an open work permit and get a good paying job. We are staying with my dad in the CBD. It's not going to be so nice if you have no one here. But you can get through it if you have the mind!
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Regards, Aimee

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:52:27 am »
Hi Aimzy.  I really don't want to put a damper on things, but I hope you realise that not all jobs/occupations qualify for a work visa?  I've seen too many people make this mistake, so I need to speak up about this.  Please do your homework to avoid costs and disappointment.  I'm afraid receptionist is not going to qualify for a work visa unless the employer can prove that they've searched and advertised the position without success and in addition INZ will conduct a labour market test.  Please read this link very carefully:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktemporarily/requirements/essentialwork.htm

:hug:

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:52:27 am »