Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Too many forum sections  (Read 2693 times)

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
Too many forum sections
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:41 pm »
Have not been on this site for a while, but my perception now is that its definitely not as busy as it use to be.

Why not get rid of all of some of the forum sub sections? Maybe combine some and make it a bit simpler. There seems to be too many forum sections/subsections on the main page which make it difficult to know where to post. Some of the sub sections have not been used for over a year.

Just a suggestion. I know it keeps things sorted, but the search function works really well for searching topics

Offline Ostrich

Re: Too many forum sections
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »
Agreed. It can be difficult to find specific threads for follow-ups under the current arrangement.
SMC, from SA - EOI Submitted: 13 Dec 2010, EOI Selected: 15 Dec 2010, EOI Decision Successful: 04 Jan 2011, ITA Received: 06 Jan 2011, ITA Submitted: 08 March 2011, CO Allocated: 22 March 2011, Telephone Interview: 4 May 2011, Medicals clear: 23 May 2011, Residence Approved: 7 June 2011, NZ 19 July!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

Offline Marz

• The New Zealand Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:12 am »
+1 - I usually use search for something specific, or "Show unread posts since last visit" when just checking out what's happening.  Some sections were very helpful for when starting out, so don't get rid of all .
Arrive in New Zealand : 3rd March 2012
Submit work permit application : 16th April
Submit EOI and selected: 18th April
Application received: 15 May
PR Granted in principle: 8 August 2012

Offline thombatt

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:04:02 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:32:48 pm by thombatt »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:08 am »
The immigration law hurt the forum participation badly unfortunately as the guys can't discuss or help each other with their applications anymore which I feel is a huge injustice to the immigration system as whole because we actually now have immigrants landing that are worse off than we were, and even guys that now cannot come because they can't afford an immigration agent. I know I wouldn't have been able to come if I had to pay an agent, I was lucky to have the time to be able to figure things out for myself. Many don't have that luxury. I am still very sad and disappointed that a few rotten "agents" spoiled it for everybody else.  :'(

I don't agree on reducing the amount of boards on the forum index. It keeps things organized and easier to find when you are looking to read up on a specific subject. Especially for new members. If we condense everything into less boards it will become terribly overwhelming for a newbie.

As to the house keeping on the forum, I agree wholeheartedly. There is definitely info that has changed and is not valid anymore which should be trimmed and info that folks have not posted in the correct place and the moderators have not moved. The problem is that there are over 100 000 posts in over 7000 topics. Sifting through that to see what is relevant, good, bad, old, in the wrong place, etc. would be an insane task. I certainly don't have the time to do that, any volunteers ?  :o :D ;D

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:00 am »
You guys are offering a good site. Really not implying that you change anything. Keep up the good work. I have found this site very useful over the years and even though we now settled in NZ I still find it useful.

About the immigration law on giving advice. I'm not very familiar with it so excuse my ignorance.

The law states that anyone providing immigration advice has to be licensed. This does not make sense, especially if you not charging for giving advice. What’s wrong with me just giving somebody else advice on this site with regards to my own experience? Surely its no different to doing so on facebook for example?

Does this law mean its illegal for me to help out a friend and offer him advice with regards to his application? Even if its just a little advice here and there?

Keep it up guys ...  :D :D :D

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:40:56 am »
Considering Nolan does not spend 90% of his time on this site, but actually has a whole other source of income (in fact this site is not income-generating, it simply has ads that pay for its existance - not even the hours spent upkeeping it), I think it's still doing fairly well for itself.  Yes, there are some redundant threads/posts, but as Nolan has already mentioned... it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, trying to look for what's redundant.

Nobody is getting paid to maintain this site.  We all contribute. 

One suggestion would be that whenever somebody finds a thread that they feel is totally old info, and totally redundant (i.e. absolutely no helpful info for newbies), then post something on that thread like "THIS IS REDUNDANT INFORMATION"  and then send the thread URL to one of the moderators.  We can then evaluate it, and decide whether or not we agree with you, and remove that thread, or decide that there is still relevant info that needs to be kept.  This way we can all contribute to keeping the site relevant.  But to expect any one person to sift through the whole site, or re-organize the whole site would be totally incomprehensible!  :D

Also, if you find a post/thread that you think is in the wrong category, then let the moderators know, and they can move it.  It's quite human to let some slip through...  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:40:56 am »

Offline smcspan

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:30:05 pm »
Please, I beg of you please just don't go towards the format of the SAAustralia or SACanada forums... I love this one because I can actually find what I'm looking for. Over there, I always feel lost.

Just my personal oppinion and maybe because I love coming here so often! :)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »
Thombat has reported posts that are in the wrong category or redundant, so I then get an email and can handle it. If everybody did that when they see a thread that needs handling, that will work O0

Groenlemoen - our site had, and actually still has - I have just hidden it, a HUGE section on how to do your own application, but the law change actually said you can't help others even for free if it happens systematically. In other words you can personally give your friend advice in private. Here however it becomes "systematically" so I had to remove everything. Believe me I did everything I could to try and keep that info, and the ability for others to help each other alive on the site.

smcspan - I was a very active member of SACanada at one point and when I saw we could move here, I actually asked Harry if I can start a SANewZealand. He said no, there aren't enough people moving to New Zealand  :o Needless to say he inadvertently did everybody a favour because I was then able to make a better website that became a lot busier than SACanada  ;D

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
smcspan - I was a very active member of SACanada at one point and when I saw we could move here, I actually asked Harry if I can start a SANewZealand. He said no, there aren't enough people moving to New Zealand  :o Needless to say he inadvertently did everybody a favour because I was then able to make a better website that became a lot busier than SACanada  ;D

Hahahaa.... love that!!

Yes, this is a SUPER site, even if I haven't been as active lately as I should have been!  :blush:

And I'm still miffed that this site had to shut down the advice section.  Without that advice, we'd have been lost!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen