Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime Stats RSA 2011/2012  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Will

• LinkedIn Profile
Crime Stats RSA 2011/2012
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »
So..... The Crime stats were released today by the SAPS.

Murder : 15 609
Attempted murder : 14 859
Sexual assault : 64 514
Assault : 192 651
Highjacking : 9 475
Illegal possession of firearms : 14 461

I actually feel sick at the moment...

Offline rodney

Re: Crime Stats RSA 2011/2012
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »
Perhaps someone who has a bit of time on their hands should get the exact NZ stats and then to be fair divide it proportionately by the populations just to be fair. One can only imagine which country will come out tops.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »
We have had 2 murders outside our local pub in Kapiti over the past month.

Not comparing. But let it just be a warning. New Zealand is by no means paradise.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7684474/Man-found-dead-after-fight-in-Kapiti

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/kapiti/7460500/Teen-dies-after-being-found-in-car-park

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:37:54 pm »
A different picture is painted when you looking at your local police stats.

Paraparumu, NZ: 2 out of 25000 (6 per 100000 people). And these 2 were in a single month!!!

Cape Town Central had 4 murders in an entire year ...
http://www.saps.gov.za/statistics/reports/crimestats/2012/provinces/w_cape/pdf/capetowncentral.pdf

Guess what I’m trying to say is that no matter where you live, NZ or SA, you can be safer in either country. It just depends where you live. Its no good looking at the entire NZ per capita murder rates. The same can be said about SA.

NZ has some high crime areas ...But overall its extremely safe.
SA has some low crime areas ... But overall extremely unsafe.

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:46 am »
I agree with Rockhopper on this....
And also remember Groenlemoen, the 2 murders that you are talking about is actually gang related , the first guy and the 2nd guy that died were in a fight with some gang people on the night the first one died, they came back later to get the 2nd guy and hence his death.....I know people in the community that know this gang from porirua, and yes 2 murders in over more than 11months that we have stayed there, we have not heard of another murder in Kapiti before this, it is not like there is 2 murders every month.....please let your audience know this before you tell everyone that there is 2 murders every month...the way you wrote your post it sounds as if there is 2 murders every month in kapiti which there is not

And to be honest.... if I had to do the whole process over again to move to NZ I would do it without a wink of the eye, I feel safe here and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING

Offline Seeker

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »
In my opinion crime statistics in SA does not mean much. It is happening so often that a lot of “minor crimes” does not get reported anymore, since most of the time nothing happens anyway when reported. Maybe actual events will put things a bit more in perspective. This is just what happened in my area in the last few months (numbers given are street numbers):

End Oct 2011
•   Our municipal water meter was stolen together with some of the underground copper pipes attach to it. This happened to quite a few other houses in the area as well and is a regular occurrence together with the theft of drain covers and taps.

Jan – May 2012
•   Our driveway gates got stolen at about 15:00 on a weekday afternoon. I discovered it at about 15:40 and within half an hour, with the help of some neighbours, we retrieved it from a scrapyard. Although the police was immediately contacted they only arrived after 18:00 and then asked me if I still want to report the case. Apparently all they have done all day was driving from one case to the next to take statements from people. There was not enough manpower to actually investigate any of the cases that day in the area. 
•   Attempted car theft at no 66. Owner interrupts them and they take off.
•   Attempted theft of car of a visitor at no 73. Vehicle’s ignition badly damaged before they were probably interrupted.
•   Suspicious people who were busy checking out no 64's vehicle were spotted and confronted by neighbours. They gave the excuse that they were interested in buying the vehicle and then left.

Jun-Sep 2012
•   Neighbours chase away 2 guys from my property at 3:00am on a Saturday morning after returning from a party. One was busy at my car’s wheels, presumably trying to steal the wheels from the vehicle. The vehicle is parked in our driveway 3m away from our bedroom window.
•   ATM bombing 3 blocks away from our house.
•   Armed robbery at convenience store, 3 blocks away from our house.
•   Two burglaries one week apart from each other at a little corner café 1 block away from our house.
•   A suspect jumped the wall to hide in our yard. Police stormed into the yard with guns unholstered and ready to fire. They dragged a person from under our vehicle parked in our driveway. This was one of the suspects that was busy breaking into a home diagonally behind us.
•   I am woken early morning by one of my neighbour’s screams. She walked out of her yard with her cellphone in her hand, busy texting, when a guy came past and grabbed her cellphone and ran off.
•   No 69’s washing got stolen from their yard and presumably the same night a resident at no 67 was woken by somebody jumping over their wall as well.
•   Yesterday morning a guy got caught by a patrolling police vehicle while jumping over the wall from no 67’s yard. This happened as one of the residents was leaving for work at 7:00am. The police then told them that there were 7 burglaries the previous day in the street adjacent to ours.

Does this give you a better idea of what is really going on here? This is only in one block of one street and it is only the few things that I know of, I am sure there were many more, since I do not know or communicate with everybody in our block. It sounds like I stay in some low class area, but I don’t. This is happening all over Cape Town. To the guys that want to come back, think carefully......
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:14:26 pm by Seeker »

Offline Bazzie

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »
Heck no, go back? Hope I never have to consider that... Yes, I also live in Paraparaumu. Yes, I am also concerned about the two murders. The problem is alcohol, gangs, and potentially drugs. Yes there are some social problems, but the big difference for me here is that the police actually respond. A few months back a drunk kid came banging on our door @ 4am (when we first came here we stayed in a poorer neighborhood for the first few months - didn't realise it as we sourced this accommodation while still in SA). Called the police, and they were there within 3 minutes, and showed the youngster where his house was  :2funny:

Things have already been done about the bar where both the incidents happened - they upped on their bouncers, new security cameras installed, etc. We aren't people to hang out around bars anyway, so this doesn't affect us. But it does remind one to keep your eyes peeled. Don't go looking for trouble. Be safe at home, there's crime everywhere, but there are ways to make it easier for criminals, and ways of making it harder. I found a great big 10kg piece of iron that the original owners left out next to the driveway, and put it inside the garage. Left outside, it would make for a nice tool to assist entry. Little things like that may safeguard you. It was quite funny a few weeks back when I was present at a speech of the deputy police commissioner here - he asked the audience who had been burgled,  and about 50 of the 150 people present put up their hands, and my hand stayed down. I've lived in SA for 47 years and never been burgled... Lucky, blessed, yes to all of the above. It also helps to consciously be safe. The location of your home is also extremely important. 50m away from us, people constantly got hit a few yrs back, never in my complex...

Look at the people around you, LOOK... You can usually spot the criminals a mile away (and then they say men don't have intuition...  :2funny:). I remember about 25 yrs ago I was in a northern suburb in Jhb at a bank teller. Behind me on the pavement was a black man, just sitting, and to my left on the opposite corner were 3 men just loitering. At the teller was an elderly lady drawing money. I looked at the 3 men, back at the guy behind me, back at the 3 men again (they weren't talking, not sitting calmly, just standing around). I looked back behind me again and the guy got up and slowly strolled towards the 3 men. When he got to them, they started walking away slowly. If you stay alert, you will usually see the signs before the criminals hit. Maybe I just have a really alert angel warning me, but I happen to think that being aware of one's surroundings really does help...

Just to emphasize - I'm with Hennie on this one - really happy we came here, really happy we chose to stay up the coast and not in the city. The lifestyle is fantastic, the views amazing, and great being just a km from the beaches. I could not ask for more...
EOI submitted - 15/09/2011
Job hunting - 26/09 - 22/10/2011
Offer Pending

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

Just to emphasize - I'm with Hennie on this one - really happy we came here, really happy we chose to stay up the coast and not in the city. The lifestyle is fantastic, the views amazing, and great being just a km from the beaches. I could not ask for more...

My sentiments exactly !!! 

I am also one of those "lucky" ones where something really bad has not happened, however, lived in fear for so many years. 

In just one year in Hout Bay in the 4 houses surrounding ours, neighbour on our left was attacked while she was outside hanging up her washing (naked ) late at night.  She should be able to do this, as our houses butted up against bush and mountain.  She fought them off. 

Her garage was burgled, they then took the hammer and went across to our next neighbour, and she woke up in bed with two men about to hammer her.  Luckily her dogs intervened. 

Neighbour two houses down.  He was tied up and pistol whipped. 

Neighbour next to us on the right, their nephew was staying in a wooden cabin 1 metre from our lounge.  He was stabbed one evening.  This was a guest house !  A week later, I got up early to make a picnic as we were going for a drive.  Only to have a man walk up to my lounge sliding door.  I stupidly started screaming at him (me all lit up and him in the dark , and eventually got it together enough to press the panic button, which sent him flying. 

Last straw for me, was when I was in the bathroom and my dog started growling.  He never did that.  I called my husband, and he found two men sitting in the bushes, looking into our bedroom.   They were only 6 metres from my bed.

I was pregnant, didn't renew our lease, and moved further up the hill. 

3 week old baby, and a gang of men jump into our garden .  Hubby and father want to go and sort it out, mom and I are crying, calling police, throwing big rocks down at them.   Police never come.

Woken up by a helicopter, looking for a man in our property which also abutts against the mountains.  The helicopter hovers, its beam of light going up and down our garden. 

Staying at my folks in Natal, every winter.    Sleepy place on the lower South Coast.

Gunshots between some guys and holiday makers, right next to our house.  Had to put my sleeping girls on the floor in case a stray went through the window. 

Get woken up by a torchlight shining haphazardly in our room.  Upon investigation, find the local guard in our premises, trying to find a burglar who has jumped into our property.  We see him running, we see he has come to the inside court yard and alert the guy, it is a cat and mouse game.  The guy escapes into the lagoon. 

Was invited to a get together on a beach, a reunion.  Declined.  That night shots were fired and it went into one of my friends sump. 

My moms friend was murdered.  They jumped through her window and shot her in bed.  Husband phoned my mom and dad to come and help him. 

So, nothing bad happened to us at all.  We are lucky. 

How happy I am to be here in NZ.  I love it, love it, love it.  I am still security conscious as it pays to be.  But I live in a very safe place, don't ever look over my shoulder at night when I walk in the garden.  And I would not go walking around any city in the world late at night. 

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:15 am »
I don't even want to list or relay our SA 'bad' crime experiences.  Suffice to say, we feel very safe and happy in NZ.  There might be crime, but it's not in your face 24 hours a day!!   
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline rodney

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:08 am »
You can add this sad senseless killing to the SA stats
“Former world heavyweight boxing champion Corrie Sanders died in Kalafong Hospital on Sunday after being shot in a restaurant in Brits, North West police said.” :uglystupid2: