Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A kiwi perspective on SA immigration to NZ  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
A kiwi perspective on SA immigration to NZ
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:41 am »
For those of us who were born in New Zealand, we really don’t know how lucky we are.  The quality of life in this country is second to none.  Citizenship means a lot, and the world is an open border for us. 

For those who want to come here, New Zealand should welcome all.  And New Zealand welcomes people who want to come and work hard, be part of this lucky little country, and make it their own.  I am proud of the unselfish way that New Zealand views its border, an open country that is willing to accommodate good people.

Travelling overseas it never ceases to amaze me how life here is made easy.  Our airports are efficient, our roads are well maintained, buying items is made simple.  Yes New Zealand has been affected by the GFC and the lingering impact of the Canterbury earthquakes, but we also have low debt and a good sovereign balance sheet.  With the right mix of economic policies we will do even better with deeper capital markets, higher rates of savings, and we will shortly return to budget surplus.  Where else in the western world do you have that at the moment?

I have travelled extensively throughout New Zealand.  There are very few places that you can go where crime is a significant issue.  There were 73 recorded homicides and related offences in New Zealand in 2011/12, with over 90 per cent of those crimes resolved through arrest and prosecution.  I really do know where else on earth you can go to and find somewhere safer, not bad for a nation of 4.3 million people. 

New Zealand homes are unnecessarily expensive, but that is because of policy settings that are wrong.  So I can’t afford to live in central Auckland.  Who cares, I get to live only a 40 minute drive away, and I can live between the water and the golf course in a community that is the envy of many.

Education, health care benefits, and universal accident insurance makes New Zealand a fantastic place for those of us who are fortunate to live here.  What a pity so many New Zealanders take these things for granted.

I watched the most appalling documentary of life in Hillbrow, including poor 78-year-old Bernice Goldman climbing 19 flights of stairs to her flat.  In New Zealand a poor elderly woman without a home and family can get fit-for-purpose housing for the elderly.

When I told my South African friend Tommy about Bernice’s plight he said “yes we knew her, she was so determined to stay”.  At the time Tommy and I were planting the esplanade reserve adjacent to his home in Waiuku.  The reserve radiates colour from the array of flowers, a beautiful sight in the afternoon summer sun.  I know Tommy and Mona are happy here, as are Kim and Russell, and Stephen and Lyn.

To anyone who has something to offer and who has ever thought seriously about immigrating here, come.  This lucky country would be all the better for your arrival and will be the richer for your endeavour.  God bless.

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: A kiwi perspective on SA immigration to NZ
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:27 am »
Thanks Dan, our family gives thanks every day.  We love it here and I try not to curse the Welly wind too often!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:27 am »

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:38:08 am »
Hey Chan, no problem.

I lived in Wellington for three years and loved it.  I had a pad in Hataitai, a piece of capital city paradise.  Wellington is like a small version of San Francisco and its very accessible.  Where in Wellington do you live?  I lived in Auckland but travel to and from Wellington regularly.  The only time the wind gets to me is if the Air New Zealand pilot is directed to make a cross-wind approach around the Cook Strait for a landing from Lyall Bay.  Then it can get a bit bumpy!

Offline Seeker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
Thanks a lot for your input, Dan. Yes, sometimes people only realise how lucky they are when they have the opportunity to see what somebody else have to make due with. I think here in SA we have been very privileged in so many aspects as well. We do have our problems too, but we learned to adapt. The thing is when problems start to multiply drastically in a short period of time it is not always easy to adapt and this is what has been happening in SA in the last few years. The red lights have been flashing for some time now, but government has decided to ignore it and they still maintain that there are no problems in our country. There are none so blind than the ones that does not want to see.

I would much rather give every bit of my input to a country that wants me there and takes care of its people. So I hope to have that one day.

Offline Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:46:09 am »
No problem.  I don't feel qualified to comment on the situation where you are, its not my place to. 

When are you moving here?

:)

Offline Seeker

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
Comments are welcome. It's always nice to know how other people experience things.  ;)

Not sure about when we will be moving there yet, but we are going to visit in Feb 2012. Very excited and can't wait to see your beautiful country.

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:39 am »
Fingers crossed it will be your country too before long.   :gl:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:39 am »

Offline Seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
 :twothumbs:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:37 am »
Wow Dan !!  So nice to have a regte Kiwi on the site, handing out the  :welcome:   We have been here for 2 1/2 years, living in Nelson, and the best thing about NZ, are the Kiwis.  Love them.

Offline Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:38:45 am »
Thanks Savayla.   :blush:

Sadly I haven't been down to Nelson in a few years.  It's got to be one of the nicest cities, I hear prices have really exploded.  I can see why! 

Are you heading to the Rugby 7s in Wellington this year?  I want to go this year, I miss living in the capital although I travel there often.