Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: So close now its scary... !!!  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: So close now its scary... !!!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
So much excitement on this site at the moment  :yippee:   :clap: 

I would say no to stopayne or calpol as that is like drugging your kids imo.   :thumbdown:   We have done many, many long haul flights with our kids, and never had to resort to that.  Believe in your kids, they can do it.  They either sleep, play , or watch movies.  And eat !!  We took a load of snacks for them.  They hardly touched them but it was worth the space.  Chewing gum to help them with their ears upon landing. Rescue remedy in case they need a bit of comfort.

Buy a really nice carry on bag for them that they choose.  Pack the neccessities into it, then they get to fill the rest with whatever means the most to them.  A snuggly neck pillow from the AA which comes in cute animal designs, a small fluffy blanket for when it gets cold, and they will feel as if they are going on an adventure. 

Remember to pack extra clothes if they are young, due to water or juice spills.  I learnt this the hard way the first time. 

Remember to request kids meals.  They are really nice and they won't be offered unless you request when you book or before you leave.  Also a bassinet if you have a baby.  Well worth it for me the first time.  More leg room by the wall anyway.  And closer to the loos.  Very important.

We flew Emirates, return tickets as we also went cowboy style with kids, and when we didn't return, they gave us a whopping R7500 back which really helped.  So be sure to ask whatever airline you use, about that non-return refund. 

Good luck you all !!! 

Offline yusuf

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
rescue and stopayne on hand  8)

but im glad that i have an ipad...the kids can have fun fighting over it...

SO EXCITED I HAVE MY INTERVIEW TONIGHT AT 9:30PM!!!!!
SO NERVOUS I THINK I MIGHT PUKE

Good luck with the interview!!!
I know that feeling so well. Its even worse waiting for their decision.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »

Offline Ristic-VanTonder09

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »

SO EXCITED I HAVE MY INTERVIEW TONIGHT AT 9:30PM!!!!!
SO NERVOUS I THINK I MIGHT PUKE

Ahhh...so bummed I didnt log on and see this post.. !!  :thumbdown:

Hope it went well...hold thumbs and toes for you!!!  :hug: :gl:
"Change is inevitable; progress is optional."

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:41:42 pm »
hi!!

sorry i didnt come on and tell my tale!!

IT WENT SWIMMINGLY!! :yippee: :yippee:
it was awesome, he grilled me on my experience, day to day, kpi, client relations.
we were on the phone for 40mins so i think that means he was quite keen on me.

anyway he has two clients he wants to introduce me to.  ONE OF WHICH CONTACT ME LAST NIGHT TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW!!!  WITHOUT HIM EVEN TALKING TO THEM!!!! :yippee: :yippee:

God is working wonders for me!! I have been so blessed with this process. 

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »
whoop whoop!  :heeha: I am sooooo happy it went great! And how cool is it that one of the clients already contacted you.

Lets hold thumbs and hope you get an offer very quickly!!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »
This is so exciting  :D. Wishing you the best of luck!!! Believe and Receive!!
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Reinnette Rossouw Streak

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »

I would say no to stopayne or calpol as that is like drugging your kids imo.   :thumbdown:   We have done many, many long haul flights with our kids, and never had to resort to that.  Believe in your kids, they can do it.  They either sleep, play , or watch movies.  And eat !!  We took a load of snacks for them.  They hardly touched them but it was worth the space.  Chewing gum to help them with their ears upon landing. Rescue remedy in case they need a bit of comfort.

Buy a really nice carry on bag for them that they choose.  Pack the neccessities into it, then they get to fill the rest with whatever means the most to them.  A snuggly neck pillow from the AA which comes in cute animal  designs, a small fluffy blanket for when it gets cold, and they will feel as if they are going on an adventure. 

Shows you who gives the medicine in the house!  Calpol is like drinking a panado! I have never  heard of somone saying "i am going to take a panado cause i need to relax and its gona make me sleep" ....twak! How many times do i have to tell my otherhalf that calpol is just like panado. Now that i have told him again, i want to come to the next point. I dont believe in drugging kids cause there brains are so immature and you dont want to screw them up for life but this flight i am dreading!!! Entertainment lasts two min for my one year old and not much diffrent could be said for my two year old, my six year old is happy as long as he has a game in his hand...my other solution is taking my mom with but she is afraid of flying....so i wil have a 50 something on my hands then tooo....guess i could drug her... :whistle: ...you know what....the best way to eat a cow is one bite at a time....and i am feeling like i am eating a herd at this moment. :idiot2: someone said something about stickers.....any how....i wil speak to the pead, just incase...but i will give them a fair chance  ::)

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:52 am »

Buy a really nice carry on bag for them that they choose.  Pack the neccessities into it, then they get to fill the rest with whatever means the most to them.  A snuggly neck pillow from the AA which comes in cute animal  designs, a small fluffy blanket for when it gets cold, and they will feel as if they are going on an adventure. 

Shows you who gives the medicine in the house!  Calpol is like drinking a panado! I have never  heard of somone saying "i am going to take a panado cause i need to relax and its gona make me sleep" ....twak! How many times do i have to tell my otherhalf that calpol is just like panado. Now that i have told him again, i want to come to the next point. I dont believe in drugging kids cause there brains are so immature and you dont want to screw them up for life but this flight i am dreading!!! Entertainment lasts two min for my one year old and not much diffrent could be said for my two year old, my six year old is happy as long as he has a game in his hand...my other solution is taking my mom with but she is afraid of flying....so i wil have a 50 something on my hands then tooo....guess i could drug her... :whistle: ...you know what....the best way to eat a cow is one bite at a time....and i am feeling like i am eating a herd at this moment. :idiot2: someone said something about stickers.....any how....i wil speak to the pead, just incase...but i will give them a fair chance  ::)

Look I wasn't suggesting I was gonna drug them. Lol.
In fact stop anyone makes them mix anyway coz they fight sleep.  But I will make sure I had
Ve loads of games and toys and food (my kids eat like mad)
We will also not take the long route.  If it means paying extra then I guess that's what we have to do then.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 08:15:07 am »
Just an update... My Bf hands in his resignation today...  and I hand mine in tomorrow... so nervous I can just about keep my wits about myself...stomach in constant butterflies...!!!!  :sweat: I know this is the right thing to do but geez the emotions are crazy!!!!!  :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: Never been so scared in my whole life...!!!  :'(

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 08:45:08 am »
omg ristic!!

what line of work are you and your bf in???

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:53 am »
Eeeeeck Ristic!!!! How exciting.

I can just imagine how your heart must be racing every time you just think of everything.

:gl2: hey!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
omg ristic!!

what line of work are you and your bf in???

YIP OMG indeed... there is no turning back now... !!

I am in Sales and my bf is a Draughtsman  ;)

Eeeeeck Ristic!!!! How exciting.

I can just imagine how your heart must be racing every time you just think of everything.

:gl2: hey!

Thanks so much Goldie... need as much support as possible... :hug:
Going to be the scariest day of my life...first time i have ever had to resign from a company!!! EEEECCCCCKKKKKKK  :tongue:

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:35 am »

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:35 am »
isnt your BF on the skills shortage list??
you guys should be able to apply for your EOI if he is!!

im going over in may now too.  going cowboy style to meet as many people as i can.

terrified!! but super excited!!

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:34 am »
Unfortunently he isnt on the skills shortage list :(

But looks like I might have an offer of employment with my cousins company which is on the Accredited Employers List  ;D  :yippee: But I will have to wait and see... !

Good Luck, I also cant wait to just get things going already almost feels like we arer constantly in limbo...!!!

Sorry dont know if I asked you already but where about in NZ you going??

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:51 am »
going to Auckland.

where can i get this employers list from?