Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Hubby going back to SA for business...now what?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
Hubby going back to SA for business...now what?
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:05 am »
As many of you know, we have been soooooo happy in NZ. The last three months have been the best of my life...our two young daughters have flourished...our two year old has grown up and enjoyed every minute of the freedom...our five year old loves it here because she has a life, a beach, time with her parents...as a family we have spent such special time together, in peace.

Then, my hubby got carpal tunnel syndrome and it has started to get worse in both wrists so he has to have an op...so...the wheel started turning! He started worrying about his career (he is an engineer so losing feeling in his hands is very serious!) and he started to stress about getting work. I am a teacher so would definitely get a job, but I am recovering from Guillain Barre Syndrome so I have to watch how active I am...so all in all...a newpage turned.

I am heart-broken as I write this because no matter how hard things get, I am always one to fight for what I feel is right, and I am one to do whatever is necessary for the benefit of my girls! So...my hubby wrote to his dad in SA about going back to see my neuro about his hands and possibly have the op in SA, because we have to wait for months to see one here.

What transpired is still so unbelievable...he was given the opportunity to earn double the salary at the company he left in SA to produce a product that could have an incredible market worldwide...this grew from his experiences in NZ.

So, what to do? He wants to go back for two years, I will only give him one; our container is in storage in Welly because it hasn't even been unpacked!!!!!! I cannot live without all my stuff AGAIN! So many questions, so much emotion...I am so happy here but for the fear of the family living on different sides of the world...maybe I should go back with our girls? I will REALLY appreciate your advice on this...because I am now not sure if i am digging my heels in because I am being stubborn...or am I doing the right thing in wanting to stay until he sorts the company out? WHAT SHOULD I DO? My heart is in NZ, no doubt! My huge circle of friends and family is in SA...possibly have our third child in SA with our doctors?

Thanks so much for your time, support and guidance...I appreciate it so much xxxx

THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Re: Hubby going back to SA for business...now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:18 am »
Very sorry to hear all this  :'(

Firstly, I think you need to, at the very least, consider all the practicalities involved, let alone the emotional issues:

1.  Double the salary is not going to mean much in NZ terms, taking into account the exchange rate is it?
2.  How is he going to afford the surgery / treatment in SA as I assume he's no longer on an SA medical aid?
3.  Think long term and does this have any implications for your residency status if you leave NZ for 2 yrs or more?

:hug:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:18 am »

Offline AngelineC

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:50:45 am »
Thanks so much for giving me something to focus on!
We have permanent residence so we can come and go without affecting residency.
Considering finances, the company will be covering med aid for all of us etc, I was CONVINCED that it was cheaper to live here, but after a staunch budget, it will cost much of a muchness. I hear you regarding the exchange rate xxxxxx

I have insisted that we get safe rental within a big cluster in JHB so we are safe, the girls can feel freedom relatively speaking...

What about our container? ;(

Emotionally speaking, I am very up and down...trying to be neutral so that the girls don't get upset...if we do this, we will be very careful about calling one place 'home' etc...eeeeeeeek...so much to think about... So sad...sad to have this decision...I have to remind myself that we cannot plan everything...can we? Xxxxxx

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:18 am »
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/alreadyinnz/residents/rrvholder/

Please check this section before you decide that you can come and go as you please.  As far as I know you probably hold a residence visa and not a RRV, which you only qualify for after holding the residence visa for 2 yrs. 

"If your passport contains a residence permit and no valid RRV, you are deemed to hold a resident visa with no travel conditions. If you wish to travel, you will need to apply for a variation of travel conditions or a permanent resident visa rather than a new RRV."

"Requirements for a 12-month variation of travel conditions
You qualify for 12 months of travel conditions if you entered New Zealand as a resident at least one year before the date your current application for a variation of travel conditions is made, and either of the following situations applies to you.
1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand
To meet this requirement, you must have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in at least one of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately before lodging your variation of travel conditions application."

So it really isn't as straight forward as you might think - please phone INZ and ask them !!

How is the company in SA going to put your hubby on a medical aid if he has a pre-existing condition?  They may grant him medical cover, but will exclude all costs related to the pre-existing condition in my experience. 

You could leave the container here in storage and try get something furnished in SA or insist that the company pay to have it shipped back to SA.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:14:54 am »
Please be extra careful  :-\
I am so sorry you have to do this...
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »
Ohh, such a big and personal decision you have to make and I'm with SA3001 on the choices you have to make.  Always think back on why you left in the first place - do those reasons still make sense?  You know my feelings on SA vs NZ...I will reserve any further comments.....  :hug:
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline AngelineC

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:03 am »
Thank you...I trust each of your comments because you all know what has gone into this!!!!!!!

I have checked up on the rules re our visas, thanks for the link, SA3001. We got permanent residence from my hubby sponsoring us, and the visa states indefinite time and multiple entries so I think we are safe with that. Will confirm though!

The way I see it, if we leave all our stuff here in storage and get return tickets, then it will be ok-ish...either way we are in a predicament! the girls haven't gone into school het, I could homeschool them for the year...we don't have to relocate anything because we have to move from the farm no matter what bc my hubby cannot work for much longer as his wrists get worse.

Thanks Yusuf...I hear you! :/
Chan, I would love to know what you think :)

The great thing with all of this is that as a family we have grown even closer and my hubby has grown so much and has made very sensible choices regarding job...

But again...careful careful careful. Eeeeeeeeeeek! Will keep you posted :)
Thanks for everything as always xxxx

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:03 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:49 am »
Oops !!  What a tough decision.  However, do make sure that you have written up your pros and cons list on a large piece of paper, stuck onto the wall.  And when you write up CRIME, make it big and in red !!  You have given up so much to get here, and what SA3001 says is true, unless you have PRV you cannot come and go as you please. 

Understandably, DH is feeling down and out, with his hand and no job.  He has been given an incredible offer, but at what cost?

So much to weigh up.  I think your container is the least of it.  It can just turn around and go back.  Simple.  What you need to weigh up, is whether after 1 or 2 years, you will be able to get into NZ again, or if that 1 or 2 years will no perhaps stretch into more years due to a good salary, friends and family.  So easy to happy. 

We were once in a sort of similar situation, where we were offered  an expensive property, for free.  All we had to do was build our house on it and let it be used as an example.    We said no, and we bought a small wooden yacht instead.  No regrets, they cannot even give the property away in this market in SA.  We would be stuck, and now we have been in NZ for almost 3 years and wished we had done it sooner. 

Good luck with your decision. 

Offline AngelineC

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:31 am »
 :1hug:
Thanks Savayla, I hear you...crime in bright red! There are so many reasons...so, so many...why living here is that much better.

Your advice is so appreciated xxxx thank you xxx

Offline Mike.Suttill

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:57 am »
I know it is a tough decision, but would your living standards be better in South Africa. We made a decision to come here knowing we would earn less. I know there are great opportunities to get rich in South Africa, but the risk in my opinion greatly out ways the opportunity. Don’t only highlight crime, but road stats. More people die on Gauteng roads than are murdered. its not just about living in a secure complex, but you have to leave to go to work / shop / kids interact with other kids etc. Don’t forget the socio economic problems with very high unemployment and over 1 million youths coming onto the job market every year, most unskilled and unable to find work. Also consider the chances of getting employment in New Zealand in a couple of years; will there still be sufficient jobs?

Offline Heather Nel

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:07 am »
I feel for you, this must be the worst decision you have to make. We are still in S.A and have just recently re-joined a medical aid due to things taking a little longer than expected. There is a 3 month general exclusion and a 12 month exclusion on all pre-existing conditions, and this goes for all medical aids and applies if you have been off a medical aid for more than 90 days. So what are the chances of your hubby having his op here within his first year?
In my opinion, I would stay in NZ and wait it out. If money is all you have to gain in SA it certainly isn't worth it. I know you have all your family and friends here but by the sounds of things your kids have so much more there.

:gl:iwth your decision and I hope you hubby recovers soon.

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:24 am »
Just to give this my perspective (and I cannot in any way compare the two), New Zealand will always be here.  This country will continue to grow and thrive, and it has a big heart for people who come here with good intentions, whether it is now or in one year or in five years time.

So do what is best for you.  New Zealand still carries on.   :)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:24 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:35:28 am »

I have checked up on the rules re our visas, thanks for the link, SA3001. We got permanent residence from my hubby sponsoring us, and the visa states indefinite time and multiple entries so I think we are safe with that. Will confirm though!

Do check up, because although it does say indefinite time and multiple entries, for those entries you have to have a returning residents visa until you get PPR, and also, it states somewhere that you have to spend a certain amount of time in NZ during those 2 years.  So check up . 

Offline AngelineC

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 06:01:11 am »
thank you!!!!
Thanks so much for your advice! :) will let you know how it transpires! I am holding your advice closely to heart xxxx

Offline Ethanc123

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:56 am »
My heart goes out to you Angeline.

We are on our way within the next month to NZ, and I can't imagine having to face a similar situation to yours after all it took to get in. I just hope with all these wise peoples advice, that you manage to make a decision to suit your family and not lose out on your dream.

:gl2: and  :1hug:

Take care and go safely xx