Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Why we love New Zealand...our home xxx  (Read 5643 times)

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
Re: Why we love New Zealand...our home xxx
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:19:05 am »
What a good idea to create this thread.
My list:

- Love the smell in Wellington of the clean air especially just after the rain.
- Friendly people.
- Relaxed lifestyle and relaxed work environment.
- Seeing the postman (or posties as they called here. On bicycles)
- Catching the train into work, using public transport.
- Forgotten what being stressed is all about (it took a few years, and our first year or two were probably more stressful than when we still lived in SA)
- Walking the kids to school. Not worrying about them if Im going to be a few minutes late.
- Love camping. We have all the gear and bought a tent, everything. The kids love it. We off to Taupo in 2 weeks.
- Kids getting a good education and its not costing us an arm and a leg.
- No need to pay medical aid.
- NZ is beautiful. Its really pretty.
- Parks. Everywhere you go in NZ there are fantastic parks for the kids
- Swimming pools are everywhere too. Many indoors and great for winter. Love taking the kids.

Quiet a list. Thanks for making me type this out  :2funny:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:19 am »
@smcspan - that is a meaty looking softball bat! Has your husband ever had reason to use it to defend himself? That could crack a knee-cap!

Dan, ours was an aluminium one !!!  Thank goodness never had to use it.  Also a panic button for the armed response besides the bed, and the cellphone which must be charged.  The key to the sliding gate which was padlocked between the lounge and the bedroom. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:19 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:00 pm »
The colours changing as we move into Autumn.  Although I lived in Cape Town, I do not remember all the beautiful autumn colours over there, that we have here.  Perhaps they were all evergreens ? 

The words:

Good as Gold
Choice
Sweet As 

I still get a kick out of them. 

The friends we have made.

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
My mum has recently visited, which brought its own set of excitement and struggles.

I LOOOVE what this country has done TO us and FOR us, without anything in return...

Since starting this list MONTHS ago, we have moved to Wellington, my hubby had an op, turned down a job taking him back to SA, we have fallen pregnant naturally (our first two were fertility meds in SA) and we have fallen in love with our homeland all over again!

so, what we have learnt from having my mom here is that we have changed so fundamentally: we lead such different lives as parents. Our worries are so trivial, yet important to us. My husband spends many hours on the mountainbiking tracks just a few kms out of the city, we spend hours with each other, no matter where we are. We spend less time on facebook and more time being present. Our girls go to amazing schools, with such great, polite little kiddies. The primary school is free and the kindy is worth its weight in the gold we pay! my colleagues are interesting and heaps of fun: we laugh and share time and energy! My colleagues are well-travelled and interesting to talk to: they are far from the small-town folk I expected...they don't moan about the weather, because they choose to live here! I have met incredibly close friends, whom I feel like I have had for many years...irrespective of where they were born.

We live!!!!!!!! We really live our lives! I read the news in SA only when I have to, and when I do, it is always a reminder that life here is perfectly fit for us right now!

Driving up to Waihi for Christmas we couldn't stop gawking at the views...views we have seen a hundred times but love every season for its charms.

I love my home...

Happy new year, special peeps, may 2014 bring you the life you deserve!

Xxx
THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »
Wow Angeline. Everything you say is so so true! It just gets a huge smile on my face!

We were in Waihi a week ago and its just an hours drive from us. Its beautiful there.

Im glad you guys are happy and congrats on baby nr 3!!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline ARELEENE4

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
 :clap: thanks AngelineC for this thread. it is bringing tears to my eyes to read everyone's input. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE ARE DOING THIS.... :cloud9: so my girls (8 & 9) can ride their bikes without me sitting on the pavement "playing hawk".

doors unlocked????? unheard of  :2funny:  girls walk down the street unsupervised? unheard of  :2funny: i grew up like that so i will do whatever it takes to give them my childhood.  :knight:

Landing in Auckland on the 24th, gonna pound the pavement, knock on doors and GET THAT JOB.  :knuppel2:

17/10/13 Passports applied for.
22/10/13 UBC applied for.
05/11/13 Passports received.
10/11/13 Hubby approved decision on LSD
27/11/13 Booked tickets for LSD
11/02/14 Police clearance couriered to pta
18/02/14 Meds & xray done

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:48 am »
:clap: thanks AngelineC for this thread. it is bringing tears to my eyes to read everyone's input. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE ARE DOING THIS.... :cloud9: so my girls (8 & 9) can ride their bikes without me sitting on the pavement "playing hawk".

doors unlocked????? unheard of  :2funny:  girls walk down the street unsupervised? unheard of  :2funny: i grew up like that so i will do whatever it takes to give them my childhood.  :knight:

Landing in Auckland on the 24th, gonna pound the pavement, knock on doors and GET THAT JOB.  :knuppel2:

Yaaay!!! And when you walk outside at night...breathe in the peace...it is a feeling I will always cherish... ENJOY!!!!
THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:48 am »