Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Strike in NZ?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
Strike in NZ?
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:22 am »
Everytime you just hear of another strike going on, if you dont have electirity, someone is striking (okay or they stole the cables), if you dont have water, someone is striking. When you hear a chorus in the city - jip, its a strike.

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Families-moet-ingryp-self-spit-20130405

Is there a lot of 'striking' going on in NZ? And Taxis? And Putco Busses?

i really dislike taxis and if i dont see them ever again in my life, i will be a happy chappy LOL
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
Re: Strike in NZ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:51:58 am »
Not common here at all and when they do happen it's very different to SA - very controlled and quiet and on stipulated days.  Taxis here are a man's best friend  :)  Very common to use taxis here, especially in the city centres.  But of course they are proper cars with proper drivers  :) And buses are plentiful and used by many to get to work and school.  And then of course there are the trains.  Public transport is huge here in NZ.  Many people don't even own a car - not needed.  A guy that works with me is 30 and doesn't even have a licence  :2funny:  You never take a chance with drinking and driving here - you WILL get caught.  We often go into the city and take the train and then just get a bus or taxi from the station back home  :)  Especially when we go to rugby matches - the stadium is right next to the station in Wellington and then you also don't have the hassle with parking.  The kids can take the trains or buses very safely and easily here - no need for mom's taxi - it's heaven  :)  Many kids do this in the school holidays to get to the beach etc. Very different way of life here.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:51:58 am »

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:25 am »
i must say, it sounds strange to me, but its because i cannot imagine climbing in (our) taxis or busses, the way they look, outside and in, the way they drive those busses is so scary and because of how unreliable they are you just cannot rely on public transport.

but i like what you are describing, proper cars with proper drivers :) that i can get used to!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:16 am »
There are so many things you'll find different here - in a really good way  :)  So excited for you and I know waiting for the work visa is sooooo stressful, but just know that if it's meant to be it will  :)  We went through the same thing and it all worked out.  OH was also not on the LTSSL and also had to pass the labour market test etc.  Holding thumbs  O0

Offline thombatt

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:11:38 pm by thombatt »

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »
We've been in NZ since 5 Feb and have only been using public transport as we don't have a car. Buses, trains and ferries are our only mode of getting from point A to B.... and our feet of course!  :)

When we were in Auckland CBD, it was very easy to just hop on and off buses to get where you needed to go and even living out in the rural areas now (Coatesville, Albany), it is just a bit of a longer and harder walk for us to the closest bus stop, but once there we can get almost anywhere.

We've even gotten one of those shopping bags on wheels from Briscoes and do week-by-week shopping so getting groceries home isn't such a big problem to schlep around on the buses either.

Have only heard about one strike here, and it was so calm and organised, it looked like a company gathering rather than a bunch of disgruntled workers!

Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08