Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: finding rental before we land CHRISTCHURCH  (Read 1546 times)

Offline therobsfamily

finding rental before we land CHRISTCHURCH
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:20:37 pm »
Hi all

so we have friends in christchurch but none of them are able to put up a family of 4 because they have either just got there or they are hosting already.

so now we have to find a (fully furnished) rental before we get there!! now thats not an easy one to do i can assume.

i have checked trademe and there are no fully furnished which indicates they are few and far between....

would it be silly to send our container over before we get there? and just get a empty place?   :confused:  what if we get a place in the wrong area???  :confused:

i have been told that some places are very "niche" like where you will find a certain population living.

where do all the saffers live in Christchurch?  we needo be clost to the city as i will be working in Addington.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: finding rental before we land CHRISTCHURCH
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:29 am »
I have just posted a response in another thread.  Have a look there.  Unfortunately we only have a 3 bedroom house, we are a family of 4, and live out in Kaiapoi, 15 km North of Christchurch.  DH works in Sockburn and I work on the East of the City near Linwood.
I would consider Redwood, Bryndwr, Burnside as places to add to the list I posted a few moments ago.  All close enough to the city.
For fully furnished short term rentals look at the Christchurch Holiday Homes link I posted.
There are some areas which can be a bit more expensive like Marivale, Burnside (has a really good High School), Avonhead, Northwood.  It just depends what you are after.
Don't look in Belfast, better know to us as Smellfast, Silverfern Farms has an abattoir and in the heat gets really smelly... enough said.
Saffers are spread around the City we don't live in one very specific place.
You can PM me if you like.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:29 am »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:56:43 am »
You can send your container as soon as you have your visa.  I'd do that if I were you and that way you're not restricting your rental options.  See if you can book a bach (holiday home) for the first 4 to 6 weeks - they often give good weekly rates the longer you book for.  Always try and negotiate on the price advertised.  That's what we did.   Another option is to rent furniture from a furniture hire company.  They rent appliances etc too.

http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/

http://www.mrrental.co.nz/stores/region/christchurch

Offline therobsfamily

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:54 am »
thanx guys.

these rentals are so expensive.... we dont really have much to spend on a rental.  but if it has to be then it does.

thank you so very much for all the help!!

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
It is always advisable to rent first for a while till you know the area better.  We rented in Mosgiel, South of Dunedin, Otago, for 18 months then we had to move to Chch where we rented for another year before we found a house that we could afford in Kaiapoi, 12 km North of Chch.