Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Worried - advice needed  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Darter

Worried - advice needed
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:02 pm »
Hi all! Please i need advice/prop up regarding moving to New Zealand.

We are in the process of the emigration process but i am (for want of a better term) starting to get a bit wobbly about the whole thing  :help:.

The reasoning is simple, i have been reading in various places that finding jobs there is not so easy and i would hate to pack up my family to move there and then only have to come back because i couldnt find a job. I am an accountant (not CA) have a degree, 10 years experience in the auditing field and 2 1/2 years as a financial manager in a medium size manufacturing company.

We really love the thought of NZ and the prospect of a better life, the only thing holding me back from being ecstatic about the move is the specter of failing to to get a job.

What do you guys think?? Pull the plug or go ahead and see where the dice land?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline BeninCPT

Re: Worried - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »
Hi Darter
I wobbled for almost 3 years before finally coming here.
After 4 weeks with no replies to my applications I started to wonder if I did the right thing(I am in IT which I thought would guarantee me and almost instant job)

I have spoken to people that came over and had interviews in their first week and had job offers the second, others waited 2 months and I know of one that was here for almost a year.

The choice is yours - With determination I am sure you will find a job, but it might not happen immediately. Prepare for that.

But if I had to do it all again, I would. I would just make sure I build more contacts in the industry on this side before coming.

Go on LinkedIn, search for SA expats in your line and connect to them. People on this side are much more inclined to help than in SA, and you will need the contacts to start and build your career.

Just my point of view
 :gl2: :gl2: on the move
Ben

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »
Darter, do you not have enough points to apply for residency before you come?  It's often easier to get a job offer if you have residency status.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:32:19 am »
I certainly is worth it BUT don't pack up and move the whole family over.  Come over yourself, well prepared.  Get a job, then once you have your WP, bring them over. 

Or, start the process on that side, which is much easier !!!! 

No matter what happens, life here as everywhere can have its ups and downs.  The thing is, even in the worst moments, we have never EVER regretted our decision to come over.  We have been here for 3 years now. 

Offline Darter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:19:25 am »
Thanks guys for the feedback its helped me realize that once i get over the hurdle of landing the first job things will get better and we can start to settle in and all would be worth it.

@SA3001 i think i have enough points but i didn't realize this was an option, i have asked my agent to look into it for me to see what we can do.

@Savayla i know you say that i shouldnt bring the fam with but we were thinking about it and its cheaper to do bring them (would have to pay 2 rentals etc) and most NB is that they are such a big support and motivation base for me. Can you perhaps give me some reasons on why i may be better to leave them until i find a job? You may have some info i havent thought of yet.

Thanks again to all for the advice so far.

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
Darter. i have also read that a lot of people wrote they would have rather left their wife and kids in SA as it just makes it a bit easier to find accomodation for one person and look for work and 'settle' things before the whole clang comes. But I do understand about the support!!!

We also decided that DH will go over first and settle everything, get settled in the job, get a house if possible and then we will come. This way I can sort out everything still this side.

Have you applied for work on seek? Just remember that a lot of jobs' closing dates is only in a months time so you might not hear back immediately and do state in your cover letter that you are in the process of immigrating.

Dont get discouraged!!! You might want things done NOW and the NZders take their time, so not hearing from job applied for in a few days will make you anxious but just stay calm!

:gl2:
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:58:33 am »
Darter, you have an agent and he didn't discuss this option with you  :confused:  Definitely the first option to look at.  Maybe it's because you don't have 140 points without a job offer?  But if you do, then that's what everyone does.  It's only those of us who didn't have 140 points without a job offer that do it the other way around ie: get a job offer, then work visa, then residency.

As for bringing the family with, understand that it's very expensive to live on rands here with the current exchange rate and you'll have 4 mouths to feed etc instead of one.  Also accommodation will be expensive for a family as opposed to one person.  Then consider the cost of the flights.  Imagine if you're not successful in securing a job offer and you all have to go back?  I know it's a scary prospect, but it can happen.  You would have wasted so much money  :(  You have to think with your head and not your heart in this process.  Sentiment has no place.  All 3 of us came over at the same time, my OH, me and our 3 yr old daughter.  With hindsight, we should have moved in with my folks and stayed behind until he started his job.  It was 3 months after we arrived that he started his job and another month until his first salary.  We could have saved heaps if we'd stayed behind.  The only reason I didn't was so that there were 2 of us job hunting. 

:gl: with whatever you decide  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:38:55 am by SA3001 »

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:58:33 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
=
@SA3001 i think i have enough points but i didn't realize this was an option, i have asked my agent to look into it for me to see what we can do.

Scary !!  If your agent has not told you this you should dump them.  If you have enough points you can start the whole process now.  Put in an EOI., 

@Savayla i know you say that i shouldnt bring the fam with but we were thinking about it and its cheaper to do bring them (would have to pay 2 rentals etc) and most NB is that they are such a big support and motivation base for me. Can you perhaps give me some reasons on why i may be better to leave them until i find a job? You may have some info i havent thought of yet.

To be honest, we all went over cowboy style .  Including 2 daughters.  However, DH was earning money online, so we had money coming in, and still, it was difficult.  Very stressful.   The price of accomodation and food here is very expensive and you haven't factored that in.  However, I completely understand your take on doing everything as a family.  It is our take in life too.  Makes life interesting at times though.  A bit too interesting sometimes  :)  The other thing is that you would perhaps be moving around to find jobs, so would they all buy a ticket to Wellington from Auckland, and then back, etc ? 
Just think carefully about funds.  It is all about money in the end. 

Thanks again to all for the advice so far.

Offline Darter

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05:29 pm »
Well guys thanks for the info and advice!

After long discussions we have decided that i come over myself and try and get work and the fam will follow! So that at least takes some pressures off. We took the emotion out of it and decided this way was best even if i am going to miss them terribly!

On a side note while we were having these discussions with extended family my car was almost stolen!! :tongue: They used it as a battering ram to get out of the gate because they couldnt open said gate. This was at 7:30 at night, and they ended up cause nearly R60 000 damage to my car :tickedoff:

Oh well 2 more months

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:18:49 am »
Oh no Darter, that is just terrible. Bad luck hey.

That is great. Where are looking to go? Good luck with the whole process and i hope you get work very quickly!

Btw: i read on a group on FB that they make you sign a form at the airport to say that you will not be applying for any other visa when in NZ (like work visa for instance). Has anyone heard about this? just wondering if its true.

05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline thombatt

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:53:06 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:35:16 am by thombatt »

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:23:07 am »
Hi Worried,
Please Contact me for help. Peter at jepwood@xtra.co.nz
Regards,
Peter Woodberg

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:23:07 am »

Offline Dave

Re: Worried - advice needed - reply
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:00:09 am »
I think you could probably not live with yourself if you never tried. Just do it.
Hier is spanne Afrikaners(en Engelsprekende Suid-Afrikaners) wat jou gou tuis sal laat voel.
Hier is iets waarop jy solank kan inteken;
[http://www.afrikaans.org.nz/]

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 02:57:16 am »
Hi Worried,
Yes, accounting jobs are not falling off the trees and you can understand why. All the bankers and finacial lending companies were hurt badly by the WFC & those employees went back into the accounting job market. So a little internal ajustment with vacancies. It depends how determined you are to leave. Everyone I know finds a job eventually. Some take 1 week some 3 months but they get a job. I know that Chartered accounts are still in demand by the big three but other accounting jobs are a little thin on the ground. Have a look on seek nz for accounting jobs. Do not apply from SA your CV will end up in file 13. You can however send a CV from NZ when you are here will a local address and phone number. There are lots of SA support groups in Auckland that you can contact to network with to get that elusive jof. If all else fails you can always start or buy a busines. Rember the exchange rate is R8 to NZ$1
Peter

Offline rjcouple

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:09 am »
Hi Darter
We are also thinking about leaving SA, could you perhaps give my your agent's contact details?