Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Guys I'm stuck  (Read 2799 times)

Offline CarienRobberts

Guys I'm stuck
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:58:25 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I think that most of you already felt what I'm feeling right now or your going through it with me. Its almost 2 to 3 years that my husband and I have been talking about leaving the country we were both born in. South Africa isn't what we remember it to be and the way things are going it doesn't look like it ever will be again. NZ wasn't our first choice but I did some research and now its our only choice, but it seems like it will be hard for us to get accepted into the country. Reason for this I've been on a NZ government page and it says there that only certain qualifications and experiences count toward your acceptance to the country. Now my question is will our qualifications and experiences count. I have a international accredited diploma in beauty and a seperate one for beauty prosedures involving laser or IPL. My husband is currently busy getting his trade qualification for millwright, he will propably have it by the end of July '14. Can anyone tell me if this is good or not and what else we need? We both have passports, are quite healthy, no criminal reccords, both of us are turning 23 this year in October and we don't have kids yet.

Offline TheJo

Re: Guys I'm stuck
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »
Hi, and  :welcome: Carien,

I think the initial thing you need to be clear on is the path you want / have to take for residence. There are 2 options: work-to-residence (WTR) and Skilled Migrant (SM).

WTR is a work visa based on you either having a qualification on the LTSSL or getting a job offer from an accredited employer. This allows you to apply for residence after 2 years. I think that the qualifications and experience you mentioned reading about comes from these skills shortage lists (immediate / long-term & Canterbury).

SM visas are outright residence visas which work on a points system. If you qualify (over 100 points) you can submit an expression of interest (EOI) from SA. The problem with that is that even if you qualify you are not likely to get drawn unless you: have 140+ points / have a skilled job offer / can claim bonus points in an area of skills shortage.

This is the link to the list of skilled occupations which qualify under the SM category:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35165.htm

Depending on your experience and skill, you might be able to look into "142114 Hair or Beauty Salon Manager" (about 2/3 of the page down). This link http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+1421+Retail+Managers is to the ANZSCO requirements for your experience and qualifications, and additionally the major responsibilities that a job offer has to have in order for it to qualify you under the SM category.

I know nothing about millwrights but I think they may be called fitter and turner in NZ. If so, your husband could look at "323211 Fitter (General)" / "323212 Fitter and Turner" / "323213 Fitter - Welder" (about 3/4 of the way down the skilled occupations page). This is the ANZSCO entry for his type of work http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3232+Metal+Fitters+and+Machinists.

Now you also need to know that your qualifications probably have to be assessed for their NZ equivalent.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/qualifications/default.htm. This is usually done by the NZQA http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/. Also check to see if you or hubby need to be registered with any authority in order to work in NZ as this is required for some occupations, and in that case the registering authority assesses your qualification.

Here's a nice summary from INZ that you can bookmark and return to to make sure you understand what you need.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workperm.htm

I hope this helps a little.  :gl2:
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

Offline CarienRobberts

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »
Thanks TheJo, you're reply cleared some things, but what's the first thing that needs to be done once you've made the disicion to move?

Offline ShaunB

• SATONZ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:26:06 pm »
Thanks TheJo, you're reply cleared some things, but what's the first thing that needs to be done once you've made the disicion to move?

Hi Carien, I am still pretty much at the same stage you are. My first steps was to decide to use an agent or not (we decided to use one). Then I have gone and applied for passports and unabridged birth certificates for the whole family. These things can take long so the sooner the better.

So far, that's what I have been trying to get done...
www.satonz.nz
my satonz discussion pages... :)

Offline TheJo

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »
I agree with Shaun that you should start getting all your paperwork together first. Passports, unabridged birth certificates for you both, unabridged marriage certificate. These are things that can take a really long time so you don't want to leave it for a late stage so that it delays your plans.

Once you have those things together you need to decide what route you're going to take as I said before so that you can start checking what the specific requirements are that will apply to you. When you know that then you can make a check list.

After that it's the logistical decisions such as:
1. Will you both go together, or will one of you go ahead of the other to get work?
2. How long can your savings support you without work?
3. Are you going to sell your house before one of you gets work, or afterwards?
4. Are you going to take a container / partial load of goods, or are you going to buy everything again in NZ?
5. When would be the best time to go?
6. When do you need to discuss it at work? Sometimes you need to resign outright, but other times employers are willing to take you back if things don't work out (sort of like an unpaid leave period).
7. When will you tell family and friends?
8. What areas would you prefer to stay in?

And so on.

The more decisions you make the more decisions there are to make. So just take it one step at a time.

11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline CarienRobberts

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:14 am »
I have one more question. I have a pet Marmoset, he's been with me for almost 5 years, I cant leave him at home when I go on vacation because he gets sick from nor seeing me everyday.
He's like a child to me, am I allowed to bring him with me?

Offline kol1974

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29:27 am »
Just my opinion, but your first step would be to determine which of your quals and experience has more weight.  It seems in this instance that your hubby (upon getting his trade) would be the most likely to qualify for work visa as trades are still in demand and on the shortage lists. After this decision or maybe in the meantime, you need to get all your paperwork together birth certificates etc.   Good luck with the roller coaster ride :D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29:27 am »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »
To the best of my knowledge the only animals you can bring in to NZ from SA are cats, dogs (most breeds) and certain ornamental fish. This is a link to a helpful site: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline kaitangsou

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »
I been travelling and working around Africa, UK, Spain and large parts of Asia for 25years...I never had a work visa...I also own a restaurant now in Philippines and spend lotsa time in China too...where I work part time, what is wrong with the average Saffa? Why their lives so complicated? Or lack of imagination?

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:31:44 pm »
I been travelling and working around Africa, UK, Spain and large parts of Asia for 25years...I never had a work visa...I also own a restaurant now in Philippines and spend lotsa time in China too...where I work part time, what is wrong with the average Saffa? Why their lives so complicated? Or lack of imagination?

For someone with loads of imagination, you sure spend a lot of time on this forum. Why?  I too have travelled and lived around the world, owning a restaurant in Malaysia, and work visas are necessary otherwise you lose everything. It is arrogant foreigners that go into countries and ignore the laws that make it tougher for the next foreigner coming in.