Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: SA to NZ and back to SA  (Read 2617 times)

Offline confused74

SA to NZ and back to SA
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
Like so many South Africans we left for NZ, we arrived in NZ in 2009 dogs and all. After the four months in Quarantine we were so happy to have our two dogs "Home" a year later our Son was born in NZ, we got into the Kiwi lifestyle and started to enjoy NZ for what it offered. The urge to head home to Sunny SA was strong, last year we decided to return to SA, for no other reason than for our family to meet our son and Woolworths haha. Anyway now a year on and we have regretted our decision to return to South Africa everyday. Yes we are happy too be in our old familiar surroundings and attend the odd braai at family. The truth be known everyone had moved on with life by the time we returned and it was not that easy to pick up the piece of our old life in South Africa. Woolworths was great for the first couple of months now it is just a supermarket and I miss New World. We have now decided to head back to NZ again. I guess I am writing this to let all South African know that are struggling to adapt to life in NZ - STAY IN NZ. Coming home should not be an option! We enjoyed NZ and had no issues with the weather, but we longed for the higher income we had in SA, just to find when we returned we lost those years and ended up on a lower salary bracket than when we left. NZ has allot of positives, I will always love South Africa, the people, the food and game parks, the beaches - the reality is how often do you go to game parks, the beach ect. Sadly I look around at all the electric fencing, high walls and crime stats, Our son has huge empathy for all the robot people with their cardboard messages for help, he just wants to hand out apples to everyone. My question to myself is, what does it do too him seeing all the beggars. I am yet to answer that question, all i am certain of is that life in NZ as we experienced it was good and in the long run the better option for our family. All those in doubt stick it out, all those leaving get on the plane all those staying look after yourselves. :hug:

Offline Reed-Family

• Dreams don't work unless you do...
Re: SA to NZ and back to SA
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:22 pm »
Sad to hear this but thanks for sharing and giving those already in NZ inspiration to stay put and hold out, we are in the process of moving and luckily we already have family there to get us going. We will however never return to SA for anyone or anything, I'm sure most people will just have to close their eyes and think of themselves or someone in their family being another statistic of the high crime rate in SA and everything will be better. At least you have been down this road before and that will count in your favor, unlike most that go blindly into the unknown hoping to make a better life for themselves and their family.
30/04/13 - UBC Application - 17/05/13 Received
30/04/13 - UMC Application - Tick Tock...
06/06/13 - Passports Application - 10/06/13 Received
07/10/13 - House Listed - 21/10/13 House Sold
11/11/13 - NZQA Appliction - Waiting...
01/04/14 - Planned "NZ Holiday"

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:22 pm »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Hope it works out second time around.

Offline Ziegfried

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »
Thank you for sharing this with us. With time, one tends to forget the reason why you have left SA in the first place and all that is left is the "romantic" memories of the good old times in SA. I miss my game park holidays and friends so much, but I constantly have to remind myself why we are here.

You mentioned the the "robot people", and I realised that I totally forgot about that - you never see something like that in NZ. The first couple of months after arriving in NZ, I kept on with an old habit of mine - putting my small change in my car ash tray (for the car guards), but obviously there are no car guards here.

After three years in NZ, I got so used to this lifestyle and from time-to-time I "catch" myself starting to complain about silly little things here in NZ. For example, up north where we live, the road surface is very uneven and I always compare it with the excellent road construction and highways in SA. But then, friends and family remind me that in some places there are more potholes than roads in SA and most of those engineers are no longer in SA.

I then force myself to just pause for a moment and reflect back on why we have left SA when the things I am complaining about is so irrelevant, when compared to life in SA.

Offline cal5

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:12 pm »
I suggest you read news24 daily and it will remind you why you left that 3rd world corrupt hell hole.

People that go back to RSA never had their minds set up properly, never made a decision to make it work. Very sad, cause they take up space from people that desperately want to make a go of it.

Offline rodney

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:40 pm »
It is difficult for those with close family still in SA, although skype does help.  :'( My wife every now and then threatens she wants to go back but quickly gets back to reality when I show her the latest news or entries from farmitracker, iol, censorbugbear, or any of the forums such as “Crime Spotter” from my home town which I still belong to back in SA. We then realise that it is better to help and encourage those still in SA to get out rather than going back ourselves. I think once the close family are all here a person would have no reason to go back as this is a beautiful country. The positive side of the weak rand is that you can still go over for a cheap holiday. :)

Offline TheJo

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:16 am »
Thanks for sharing your honest take on things. I think it's human nature to think back on the "old things" fondly. Good luck going back!
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:16 am »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:52 pm »
What a great post for people who are having a hard time in NZ - I know some people have tough days.  So far I have not had the desire to even go back for a visit.  For me, NZ is heaven.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Amber

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
Thanks for your honest post. There are times when I long for SA and it is definitely not because I never had my heart set on living here. Immigration is a lot harder for some than others. I know we will never go back to stay but there have been times I have wanted to.
I applaud you for your honesty and hope things all work out for you.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline groenlemoen

• Kapiti Coast, Wellington
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:01:10 am »
Thanks for sharing and all the best to you guys.
At least you know this time its permanent. You assure that NZ is right for you and you would never have known that if you never returned.