Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: NZ vs Australia  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Shaunkrull

NZ vs Australia
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
HI All,

My wife and I are considering immigration from South Africa to NZ or Australia. From our research it seems that the Skilled Migrant Visa process is similar, is this correct? Also any advise from expats who have lived and worked in both countries on which they found best? My wife has a degree with honors in Information Systems and has 12 years experience as a Business Analyst and Project Manager in the Automotive Manufacturing field. We have a small family so ideally would like to move once job offer is in place. Advise and thoughts???

Thanks

Offline cal5

Re: NZ vs Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »
Hi There

NZ has zero Automotive Manufacturing or very little. so getting a job offer from offshore would be quite difficult. Secondly, NZ Immigration are quite sticky on having a degree in one field and having work experience in another field, they tend to discount the point you can earn for a degree in those cases. In general NZ are more after people with work experience then with strings and strings of degree's. I stand corrected but OZ is the same.

More important, NZ companies are getting more and more uptight about offering job's to foreigners offshore and waiting for them to arrive. You would probably stand a better chance of landing a job if you set up interviews form that side and actually arrive here for the interviews, or have a set date when you can arrive  to take up the employment. Sorry to sound harsh, but that is the nature of the game as it stands now, to many companies have been given the run-around.

difference between getting into NZ compared to OZ. OZ has become a lot harder to get in. 4 years on WP before you can apply for PR, and then 5 years on PR before citizenship. So you looking at 9 years compared to 5 years in NZ. The skilled migrant category is about the same as NZ.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

Offline TheJo

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:33 am »
I don't know for sure, but it seemed to me that the OZ process was a lot more complex. Immigrating is something that is going to take time and knowledge. I have read and re-read the same information so many times to make sure that I understand it. I have gone through various "what if" scenarios on paper too. For a start, why don't you take the skilled migrant points test on the immigration websites for OZ and NZ and see which one you are more likely to get into. Take the test with your wife as the principal applicant and then again with yourself as the applicant. Don't just assume that the person with the best degree is the obvious choice. Once you are more settled with your choice (NZ vs OZ) then research, research, research!  :gl2:
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Amber

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
Hi
It depends on what you want from your life. NZ is quicker to get into. And a very laid back life style. OZ has the money. If you want to have a better income with a higher standard of life financially OZ would be my choice. I have not lived there but my mother is in Perth and although property is very expensive general living expenses are better there than here. The weather is better there too. Don't get me wrong NZ is a great safe place to live but it is expensive in comparison to the rate of pay one receives here
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:49:35 am »
We came to NZ because at the time it was easier to get into NZ than to get into Oz. We also liked the idea that it was(at the time) relatively easy for NZ-ers to later migrate to Oz, if we should decide to. Australia is obviously a much larger country with a larger population and larger industries, and many NZ-ers are immigrating to Australia every year. A much smaller number of Australians also immigrate to NZ. If you want to live in a beautiful country with friendly people, come and join us in NZ. We never left for the better opportunities in Oz and we are very happy in Auckland. It is a beautiful city. It's a safe place to live and it's nearly frost free. We have since added a few citrus trees  which are now producing lots of mandarins, oranges and grape fruit. We love it here, and although we miss many things about South Africa, we will never move back.

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:10 am »
We were too old for Oz (46!) and so came to NZ and we love it here. We have family and friends in Oz who keep trying to persuade us to come over but in reality, I don't think I could do all that paperwork again! We might go over when we are NZ citizens and travel and work for the AU dollar but we will bring it home to NZ and retire here in our little pondokkie :) We love our quiet lifestyle - we chased our tails in SA, we wanted a slower paced life and that's what we have now  :coffee:
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:06 am »
This is like saying do you like Vanilla or Mango icecream. Both countries are great, they have good stable governments and are the closest countries to South Africa but they are still very different. My idea was to live in Australia and I spent 6 weeks touring the country and looking for ideal places to live as well as looking at the job market. However once I came to New Zealand, to me, it was chalk and cheese. I saw heaps of opportunities in New Zealand, opposeed to Australia and the immigration process is easier in New Zealand, if you have the right qualifications. Life is a little more laid back in New Zealand and the rat race is slightly slower. Once you have lived here for a while and then start travelling again you will get the feeling that New Zealand is the best country in the world. Like I do.
There is very little that happens in the world that does not eventually come to New Zealand, music, plays, ballet, the Queen, Prince Charles, celebraties, movies & more. Houses are perceived to be expensive but a bond is 5% and has been for the last 18 months. There is a property boom right now and the rest of the world is in a recession. Great place to be. Whatever you think the longer it takes you to leave South Africa the less your money is worth.
Peter W

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:06 am »

Offline kaitangsou

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:41 pm »
OZ economy is in free fall unless China can grab them again...best way to get into NZ or OZ is to marry a rich Chinese woman. China is simply buying up bth countries while millions of Chinese are streaming in...if you do end up in either place, I strongly advise you to learn Mandarin...

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:21 pm »
OZ economy is in free fall unless China can grab them again...best way to get into NZ or OZ is to marry a rich Chinese woman. China is simply buying up bth countries while millions of Chinese are streaming in...if you do end up in either place, I strongly advise you to learn Mandarin...

Actually, this is a misconception. Brought on by the media who only seem to report when Chinese buy land. Canada owns more property in NZ than China. I have seen the pie chart.