Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Skills and qualifications preventing immigration?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Super89

Skills and qualifications preventing immigration?
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:20:01 am »
Hi
I have been in contact with multiple recruitment agencies regarding immigrating to New Zealand, but the recruitment agencies are only in business to make money and not assist you properly. I have contacted recruitment agencies aboard and they can only assist if I am in new Zealand or have a Work Visa (which we all know you are unable to get without a job offer).I Then contacted Peter from North Shore immigration which I got from this forum and he advised that I am unfortunately under skilled and should go further with my studies as a Certified Junior bookkeeper is not on the required skills shortage list. I am 24 years of age and have 5 years financial experience, am I too in too much of a hurry to go or should I finish up studying?? :help:

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
Re: Skills and qualifications preventing immigration?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:30 pm »
I know every one is burning to get to NZ once your mind is made up .. but if you don't have the skills and or education you're simply not going to be able to get in. A friend of mine who is now in NZ had the same problem .. he took the 3 years or so and upgraded his skills, he even changed his then career path to a different one, got qualified, and came over. His change in career actually meant that he is on the shortskills list, and now he is in high demand in NZ to such an extend he doesn't for who he should work, the offers is to much.

Sorry this is reality with immigrating to NZ, you have to have the skill and education and it's better if you have that in an area where NZ is experiencing a shortage of skills. Have a good look at the shortskill list .. is there a career path which might interest you .. if so go for it get educated in that, or upskill in what you are currently doing until you reach a level where you will have the enough points to gain PR. Jus one big word of caution even if you have the PR points if the jobs in your field is not available you'll have a big struggle and it might mean that you in any case will have to change careers to earn a living.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:30 pm »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »
People have basically 2 options.  Have experience people here need and get offered a job in an job that is on the skills shortage list.... or...  have qualifications .... Neither is a 100% guarantee that you will make it, but I don't think at this stage in your life you have either.

So ,  burning desires aside. You have choices.  Being gat jeukkerig about it does not get the job done.   If you have not seen the amount  of people posting stuff about having to go back to SA because they had a job... and then they did not get PR and didn't get a new job and did not ... and yes.. you know the story. 

I have friends who were here,  same situation, did not get PR immediately even though they were on the skills shortage list, and they are now in SA again,  now wanting to come back to NZ ...that is a whole lot of years of drama... and if you have small kids in the house, the stresses surely will impact them.

If everything goes great,  you will hear people chat about it and tell you about the good life and post photos. 

Here is how it works(according to my way of thinking, which does come with a disclaimer of course :) ). You give 1000 people a coin, and you tell them to flip it 10 times and count the times it consecutively fell on heads.

1st round, 500 get heads
2nd round, 250 get heads.
3rd round , 125 gets heads...
8th round 4 people get heads.
9th round, 2 people get heads.
10th round 1 person gets heads and has 10 in a row.

If you ask that one person,  he will tell you that he had a feeling he might get 10 in a row about half way through.  He and 30 other people had the same feeling but you never hear from them because their feeling was obviously wrong.  Everyone has that feeling.

My point.  Everyone who succeeded will tell you how easy it was.  You can rely on luck if you want, and potentially join the 999 other people who just fade into the background and didn't make it.  Instead of flipping a coin,  just get the job done and do it the right way.  Get your qualifications sorted. Your choices will be NZ and a whole bunch of other countries who could use your skillset.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:56 am »
You will not get a work visa as a jr bookkeeper even if you were lucky enough to get a job offer as your employer will have to prove that they can't find someone in NZ to do the job and that will not happen as there are plenty of bookkeepers here whether employed or unemployed.

Offline thombatt

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:23 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:24:31 am by thombatt »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:29 am »
You will not get a work visa as a jr bookkeeper even if you were lucky enough to get a job offer as your employer will have to prove that they can't find someone in NZ to do the job and that will not happen as there are plenty of bookkeepers here whether employed or unemployed.

Would he have a chance to get ITA/PR if he had the qualification as opposed to not having any tertiary education?
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Crusader

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:39 am »
I believe he will...take the chance and apply for a Junior Bookkeeper, you can't lose anything, and I know of people who got ITA's and PR as Junior Bookkeepers.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:39 am »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:08:19 am »
I think tings has changed with immigration since we came over .. so personally I would not take that change of coming over on a job offer and I am not 100% sure I will get PR ... It's 1) expensive and 2) all the stress and that with a family .. if you were single and adventurous then maybe take your changes and carry the consequences, but with a family and no money to play with ... eish

I still say and agree 200% with Ronald .. get the qualifications .

Offline rodney

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:56 am »
I agree the only answer is to get "the qualifications". They are very strict, however the strange thing is
that NZ allows 750 refugees yearly who don't have "the qualifications" and most cannot even speak English.

Offline Super89

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:00 am »
thank you very much for the replies guys. I would read through the terms and conditions on the ITA, perhaps i am the lucky one. It is only me who wants to immigrate, making things easier and by the look of things i don't think Nz immigration is going to make it any easier within the next few years for South-Africans to immigrate. South-African education is getting a bad reputation seeing that matrix these days can buy there certificates "next to the road" or university degrees being a fraud.
Would you suggest i first get my bookkeeping certificates registered with the NZQA before applying for the ITA?
As mentioned by rodney i think you are referring to the silver fern visa?
Thank you again guys