Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Making that first big decision.....the right one  (Read 4875 times)

Offline JAX310877

Making that first big decision.....the right one
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:22:48 am »
Well I sit here in SA making one of the biggest decisions of my life. We have decided and are now going full speed ahead with the paperwork to get us to New Zealand no matter what it takes. We have 3 beautiful children to consider and we would not be good parents if we did not do this for them. Also for us as quality of life is so bad here. No walks on beaches early in the morning..you will get stabbed, no early summer evening runs...you will get mugged...no more braaing on beaches as there is too much alcohol abuse so they have banned beach braais and fires. No more carefree shopping..little old Port Elizabeth has had 3 shootings in their shopping centres in the last month. So we are not leaving to earn big money but to simply walk with a feeling of freedom...to let our children play in parks, for us to go running as the sun goes down and for outings to the beach where we know we will get home safely. To ride our bicycles and know that some person will not walk past and accost us and steal our bicycles. It will be very hard but boy we are going to make this work...by whatever means possible. Friends and family have gone over and have had their down days but never have they regretted the move. Oh but for a life of simplicity and freedom. We cannot wait for our journey to begin...a long one but I am so sure it is going to be worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears.....thank you for this wonderful site with "real' people telling real stories

Offline MichelleL

Re: Making that first big decision.....the right one
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:15 am »
Welcome!  :welcome:
It is a very exiting journey - one which we have also just begun ourselves! It is going to be a long and difficult road, but we also believe it will be SO WORTHWILE!!
Where in NZ do you plan to go?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:15 am »

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:53 am »
Hi JAX310877 and  :welcome:

:gl: with this journey and the whole process!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:21 am »

GOOD LUCK :gl: on your journey and we hope to see you all here soon.... keep on checking the forum and if you need any answers, please ask.

If there is anything in particular you guys are wanting me to look into, please let me know and I'll do so and put it on the forum.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 07:25:04 pm »
 :welcome: to the forum and your journey ahead.....and you are right, its all worth it.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:59 pm »
Welcome Jax....what I took out of your post was , exactly everything you mention you cannot do in SA...we can do in NZ....not sure about the beach braai...but hey one can always try :) One tends to forget once living here that back in SA you could not ride your bike, you could not walk with your kids without keeping them at least a meter from you and all the stuff that should come naturally in life to live without fear to go to a mall without fear... I wish you guys good luck and hope you are able to  make the journey soon.....blessed to be living in NZ

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
hehehe yeah true Rockhopper..there is always driftwood freely available :)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »

Offline Tanja

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
Hi, I've just read your post and I also live in PE and the shopping centre shootings also prompted me wanting to move.
I'm just so devastated as I've been in my family home in Sardinia Bay all my life and the change is going to be huge. My daughter is in matric and my son 3rd year at NMMU. We looking at going 2yrs time as my son wants to do his honors here before we leave.

Offline Tanja

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure if this reply was for me but here goes. I don't know where to go but it will be Auckland. My husband is a New Zealander but has lived in SA since he was 10 and is now 52.
I've been to NZ twice to visit his mom and its a beautiful country. I always said its too small but I've changed my mind. A craving for peace and safety. I feel that while we able at least we can be there for our kids and riding a bicycle freely would be so good

Offline JAC.PE

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »
Hi JAX  :welcome: It is amazing how people can live in the same city, experience the same things, have the same thoughts, not know one another and still come to the same conclusion to move to NZ.  When we were young my dad use to take us for braais at Willows or at the braai areas just past Red Windmill, now I will not even drive my car past those areas on weekends.  We have also recently started our journey, good luck with yours.  :gl:
Ons is vandag waar ons is deur die besluite wat ons gister en eergister geneem het...
     - ons het gister besluit ons wil more in NZ wees :D

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:14 am »
Good move Jax.  We also used to not go onto the beach unless there were other people there, and definately keep away from the bushes. 

We now go down to the beach every morning for a walk.  Sometimes our daughters join us on our walk, other times they prefer to play amongst the driftwood while we walk off.    We allow them to disappear in the mall by themselves.   THey walk 1 km down to our letterbox to fetch mail.  We have braai's in the summer on the beach until 9pm.  The girls walk around with their friends during halloween, returning home at around 8:30 pm.  The freedom is mind blowing and the girls love it. 

Good luck with everything. 

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 05:52:12 am »
Hi, I've just read your post and I also live in PE and the shopping centre shootings also prompted me wanting to move.
I'm just so devastated as I've been in my family home in Sardinia Bay all my life and the change is going to be huge. My daughter is in matric and my son 3rd year at NMMU. We looking at going 2yrs time as my son wants to do his honors here before we leave.

Tanja, how old is your son ?  I think the cut off date for him immigrating with you is 21.  Please check this out before it messes up your entire plans and you end up staying for him, then he can't go with, so you don't leave as you don't want to leave him, or he leaves for somewhere else and you end up not being able to go anymore.  Have read too many stories like this.  Very heartbreaking situations.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 05:52:12 am »

Offline JAX310877

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:47:59 am »
It really is quite sad. Even this weekend after we have made this very big decision we were wanting to go around the marine drive on our bicycles when my husband reminded me of a colleague who got mugged around the marine 6 months ago. So that was a no no. We even check on our kids when they are playing in the yard which has 6 foot walls because you never know when someone climbs over and takes one of them while you are in the house which happened to a child in uitenhage last year he was abducted for muti...we have just started to notice so many things that we know we cant do here and how much freedom we could have with this move. I don't think my kids will believe it if I told them they can go to the mall on their own, here that is a definite no no. My nephew got to watch his first movie alone in the cinema at 16 with us sitting in the coffee shop opposite to wait for him to come out...it has become a way of life here that people do not even realise how restricted we are until someone from over seas tells us the things they do and we sit in awe as we do not have that life here. I never want to be rich, comfortable yes but the freedom is just so much more important to us. Thanks everyone for the support and we will continue to plan our journey and hopefully soon we will have the right papers to go and live a free life.

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 07:26:03 am »
We have to walk past sheep and cows on our way to the local sports park when we have our evening walk around the track.  I mentioned to DH that we are so priviledged to live in such a beautiful country and never ever want to take what we have for granted. We are planning a trip back to SA next June to visit the children and grandies and I just know that I am going to have a fight on my hands to get him to commit to going back! There is not ONE thing (other than the kids) that we miss.
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 09:19:54 pm »
Hiya,

I think the cut off age for dependent children is 24 but you must remember policies change here quickly... and can happen quite suddenly... if you're wanting to know more about your and your families eligibility, North Shore Immigration has a service where you can send your CVs to Peter and he will then send you an assessment form which you need to complete fully and honestly and return to him... it's jepwood@xtra.co.nz....  :gl: and keep the communication open.