Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Making that first big decision.....the right one  (Read 5259 times)

Offline beau@iafrica.com

Re: Making that first big decision.....the right one
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »
Well I sit here in SA making one of the biggest decisions of my life. We have decided and are now going full speed ahead with the paperwork to get us to New Zealand no matter what it takes. We have 3 beautiful children to consider and we would not be good parents if we did not do this for them. Also for us as quality of life is so bad here. No walks on beaches early in the morning..you will get stabbed, no early summer evening runs...you will get mugged...no more braaing on beaches as there is too much alcohol abuse so they have banned beach braais and fires. No more carefree shopping..little old Port Elizabeth has had 3 shootings in their shopping centres in the last month. So we are not leaving to earn big money but to simply walk with a feeling of freedom...to let our children play in parks, for us to go running as the sun goes down and for outings to the beach where we know we will get home safely. To ride our bicycles and know that some person will not walk past and accost us and steal our bicycles. It will be very hard but boy we are going to make this work...by whatever means possible. Friends and family have gone over and have had their down days but never have they regretted the move. Oh but for a life of simplicity and freedom. We cannot wait for our journey to begin...a long one but I am so sure it is going to be worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears.....thank you for this wonderful site with "real' people telling real stories

Hi There Jax - we are also on this path. We also live in PE - if you want to be contacted please make a post on this forum and I will send an offline messsage. Thanks

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:13:29 am »
Hi Making the Big Decision.
Great decision you will not regret it and yes, all those things are possible in New Zealand walking on the beach with dog running free, welcoming other dogs.
What ever you do, please check for eligibility. If you are not eligible, no qualifications, trade or degree you will have a problem. So get your ducks in row.
Regards,
Peter W

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:13:29 am »

Offline Mike7white

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:52:03 am »
Hi all

Wife and I made decision this week to start process as well especially for our two girls (3 yrs and 6 month toddler) - read a lot about residence vs work visa, seems residence one best to apply for?

Then based on the EoI any pointers ? We not sure who should be primary applicant on the form.

Lastly which is better for quality of life, North or South Island? Both wife and I in ICT sector but seems the jump is big one so might as well make it for right reasons (walks on beach, biking, kids being able to walk freely and safe neighborhoods etc)

Green to this whole process so any advice be extremely welcome

Cheers
Mike 

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »
Hi Mike, Welcome and congrats son the choice. I think on the issue who should be the main applicant is a question on who has the most points for immigration. The South Island is colder but more relaxed, the North Island is more "busy" but it really is your decision. I love the weather in for instance Tauranga but I just love the lifestyle we have in rural Canterbury .. so we opted for Canterbury

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:42 pm »
Hi Mike7White and  :welcome:

It seems like you need to have the assessment done first. North Shore Immigration Services offer this as a free service. Please send your and your wife's CVs to Peter at jepwood@xtra.co.nz and he will send you an assessment form which you need to complete fully and honestly and return it to him soon as. He will then assess your eligibility on immigration and the job market right now and let you know. North Shore Immigration is based here in Auckland and offer great services to their clients such as a network to support newbies in NZ.

Keep on researching and asking those all important questions  :gl:

Offline Tasha Botes

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
 :help: Hi. Im new to this site... My husband and I have recently recieved a potential offer for New Zealand, will probably have to be in Christchurch by May next year. For myself as well, we wanna start a family and unfortuanately, the thought of raising my kids in this country makes me very sad. But Im sooooo scared of leaving everything I know behind, its so confusing! Im having sleepless nights with the dicision.

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »

Hi Tasha and  :welcome:

Please know that you are making the correct decision. It will seem a little daunting at times but New Zealand is an amazing country and so very beautiful.

There are also stacks of support groups, coffee groups and facebook pages you can join to become familiar with NZ before you even get here.

SaffaZealanders

South Africans in Christchurch

Job Opportunities in New Zealand for South Africans

THE SOUTH AFRICAN MAGAZINE's facebook page too.

:gl: :gl2: and chat to you soon  :) :)

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »

Offline Tasha Botes

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:34 pm »
Hi guys.

I'm desperate for advice. My husband and I have never been to New Zealand and shocker, he applied for a job and they called him back! It seems he is gonna get it. The job is in Christchurch and I haven't been hearing good things about it. Earthquakes and what not. If anyone lives there, please, just an honest opinion on living conditions will really help us make the final decision :help:

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:56:39 pm »
Christchurch is under construction. I'd say take a chance. Get a work visa then apply for residence and there will be nothing that stops you from going to other cities. I do have few clients in Church and they are quite happy there.
I am a licensed immigration adviser in real life. I do love what I do and how I do it. Peace!!!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:15 pm »

Hi Tasha,

Yes, certainly a 'grab this with both hands opportunity'  :yippee:

This happens very rarely as most employers want you to be in NZ so I would suggest you guys take the offer. Also join a few of the facebook groups and you can chat to them about Christchurch.

'SaffaZealanders'

'South Africans in Christchurch'

'Job Opportunities in New Zealand for South Africans'

THE SOUTH AFRICAN MAGAZINE.

See you there  :-*

Offline Tasmyn.Shirlaw

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:51 am »
:) Hello ! And a big hello from sunny south africa-

My fiance and I are young professionals in the film industry I am a DOP/Producer and proud artisan / my fiance is a lens and camera teq @ Panavision - I have been trying to get into NZ for a while now - but the Point system and letters of interest have not done anything on my side to really "Get the ball rolling" - I am always on set and never have time to really go gallivanting to different embassies.

I seek security- peace - Im from johannesburg north , grew up in the vally, Now we are out and about in Africa I just see the system, the people and morals failing :'(

I am a very proud SA - but I cannot deal with the constant restraint of feeling watched, Lured into dark spots of Jozi juts to party, The vally is wild, but town is just...Depressing..No clean roads, no road works here in north, People always being murdered and that is always a news topic 24/7.. news anchors even look 'Ghatvoll' _ I need a little help - A point person who can at least direct me to the right places and people. Our government is just...I have noting to say about Zuma..

My family are joining the rest of my extended in Sydney this Month - I have the oppertunity to start again in AUS (NOT SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO DO DUE TO PERSONAL ASPECTS)

I would really appreciate any help - Direction..

Stay well, stay blessed and always remember, when humans work together in a joint connectivity - It can do wondrous things for eg- Nz :)

Offline rmarks

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:44 am »
My husband and I have also made the decision, after having played around with the idea for the last 2 years.  We are now going full steam ahead to make NZ our new home!

This forum has given me so much information relating to the big move - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:44 am »

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:46 am »

Hi Shirl and  :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Please request to join the page 'Job opportunities in New Zealand for South Africans'.... I have just dropped an amazing job on the page which could be made for you or your partner.

"Broadcast Support Team Leader

Permanent, Full time

AUT seeks an experienced Broadcast Support Team Leader to work in the School of Communication Studies Television and Screen Production facility at our City campus."

The full job is on the page.... and  :gl2: from all of us.