Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A bridge too far maybe.....  (Read 12065 times)

Offline Rodster

A bridge too far maybe.....
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:43:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

Let me first apologize for not introducing myself. I just came across this website, got excited and then started asking questions.  :thumbdown:

We live in Cape Town currently, originally from Durban and have been here for 10 years and a bit now.
Wifey and I have been wanting to make this move from the time we were in Durban, but without any qualifications we thought we could never get in. Over 10 years later and we are wanting to make the move again.  :idiot2: I know what you're saying: 'why didnt we pursue it then?' Maybe  it was just overwhelming at the time. Who knows?!?  :-\

This time, we are actually doing something about it. It's been a month now since we started researching, browsing sites like these, researching NZ immigration requirements etc etc and decided to go and see an agent just for information purposes.
We found out that my occupation is listed on LTSSL and that made us smile and then the agent told us what it will cost to get there, including his fees!  :fight: Yeah I almost punched him in the face!
We left his premises saying we can do this ourselves!
So we have started! SEEK is my new best friend! :clap: The first week I applied for IT positions. I recieved feedback from 1 company who asked me to complete a questionnaire and send it back. They didnt need to ask me twice, I sent it back like somebody was chasing me! LOL
A couple of days later, I was asked if I could be available for a Skype interview at 10am NZ time. I said: Sure, timing is perfect! :)
Interview day/night - all went well and I recieved another mail saying that they would like to move onto the 2nd stage but I need pre-approval first. Thats when I posted my first post here to all you wonderful people!
I explained I cannot get pre-approval and that I need a job offer first to accompany my Work Visa application. Since then, that was over 2 weeks ago, I unfortunately haven't heard from the company. I contacted them on Monday this week via email to 'check-in' to see the status of my application and was told to give them a couple of days! Sure, no problem I said, although I knew in my world a few days seems like months!
I then decided to be a little assertive and maybe contact companies directly. For some reason this has made us feel a little positive. The people are more friendly, they appreciate the time that we took to enquire about the position and I'm able to send my CV directly to them and not a mailbox that sends me a auto-response!  :knuppel2:
Of course, they all prefer if we are there and can have an interview face to face. Currently that might not be so viable for us, expense-wise!
So this is where we are at the moment, almost back at sqaure 1. We are beginning to think that maybe it's just not meant to be and that we should just give it a break for now and get back to it in a couple of months time. :-\
Anymore developements will be posted here. thanks for reading!

cheers for now!
Rod
Jul '13 - Job Application
Oct '13 - Job Offer received
15 Oct '13 - Job Offer accepted
01 Nov '13 - Medicals done
07 Dec '13 - Submit Visa Application
20 Dec '13 - Work to Residence VISA APPROVED!! :)
26 Jan '13 - Landed in Auckland, NZ

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
Re: A bridge too far maybe.....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:30 pm »
Maybe 10 years ago wasnt the right time, but now it is!!???!!

Dont give up that easy, keep on trying and applying as much as you can! You never know who is looking for your skills.

:gl: vir everything!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:30 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »
You absolutely cannot give up if you are serious about this.  I spent 6 solid months, night after night, sending out our CV's, applying for everything on SEEK etc.  For you to even get a bite is more than most get.  NZ employers are keen to see that you are serious about making the move so this may mean that you tell them you are coming over for a few weeks to attend interviews.  This shows commitment from you.  Once we were able to give a date of arrival in our cover letters, my OH got positive responses and had 4 solid interviews lined up for when we arrived, one of which resulted in a job offer 10 days later  :)

This move takes an enormous amount of planning and sacrifice and your resolve has to be unwavering.  It's also getting harder and harder, so don't miss the boat this time as it may be your last chance.  :gl:

Offline Rodster

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:29 pm »
Goldie and SA3001!
Thanks for the positivity. That's what we need to keep us going. Don't worry, we not giving up just yet. That first bite was too good! Wow 6 months everyday is real commitment. Now I don't feel so bad. So yeah we still carrying on BAU. Seek gonna be seeing a helluva lot of us soon! I wish i could just tell people that we'll be there in a few weeks, but financially its just not possible with wifey as a housewife and with out me resigning. If nothing happens between now and march next year I'll have to wait till then when bonus is paid out. For now, it's just apply apply apply!
Thanks again guys!

Chat soon!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:17 pm »
Hi Rodster,

How is the old Durban town? I'm from Durbs and have been here for 3 and a half years and love NZ  :smitten:

Just keep on track and if you're wanting to know anything more, feel free to ask  :)

Offline Rodster

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:19:53 am »
Hi Sherelee,

Durbs is still the same. Still the best place to be this time of the year. I miss it for that. Not sure how that compares to Auckland. We were planning on making a trip there in a few months. Hopefully it will be to say goodbye...all of my family have moved here to CT so it's just the inlaws there.
Other than that Durbs is still Durbs. Slowing been recognized as a city with lots of potential.

Offline TheJo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:27 am »
Hi Rodster,

In case you need to hear it again: DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

The fact that a potential employer contacted you for an interview while you are still in SA is a very positive sign. As Goldie said, maybe 10 years ago wasn't the right time but now it is. DH and I first considered going in 2008, we were all ready to sell up and jump on a plane based on terrible "advice" from an "immigration agent" who was obviously only in the market for our hard-earned SA money. Thank goodness it didn't happen! We couldn't sell the house! Knowing now what I didn't know then I realise we would have ruined ourselves financially and things would probably not have worked out.

I know that finances are a huge drawback especially as it is over R8 to 1NZ$. Maybe if you have a friend who works in the financial sector or perhaps a financial advisor they can help you see where you could squeeze out some extra money to be able to go to NZ for interviews etc.

My 2c worth: keep focussing your attention on this move, make it your goal and see your obstacles as hurdles that CAN be overcome! If you need any more encouragement read Goldie's Howzit thread. ;)

:gl2: and a belated  :welcome:
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:27 am »

Offline Rodster

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »
Thanks TheJo!
I definitely need to hear that everyday! So thanks!  O0
Wifey and I spoke again this morning about it and we're not gonna stop. So tired of just talking and not acting. The kids deserve better. I don't want them telling their friends how 'they were supposed to be in NZ but we couldn't ect ect ect!'
Will read up on Goldie's thread now!

Reading on all the posts, that actually was damn lucky of us to get an interview after 1 week of searching! The waiting is just killing! EISH!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:26 pm »
Hi Rodster,

Thanks for the info about Durban... my son is there so it's great to hear something positive  :'(

Also please check out the New Arrivals evening which happen here on the Shore for 'newbies'... it's a group of professional people who meet with 'newbies' once a month to offer advice, support and contacts for whatever is needed in this new journey. Let us know when you get here and we would love to meet you.

:gl2:

Offline Rodster

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
Hey Sherelee,

I'm sure your boy will be just fine! :)
Yes, I'll keep that as a reminder, would be great to meet you guys as well! That is a very good initiative for all newbies! Can't wait!
For now, I need a little bit of advice myself. So on Monday I decided to contact the company I had my Skype interview with. It was more of a check-in mail to find out the status of my application, especially after they've mentioned that they would like to move onto the 2nd stage.
I recieved a reply saying that she'll forward my email to the manager who interviewed me and I should give them a couple of days. Today's Friday, would it against post interview ettiquette to contact them again telephonically or maybe wait another coupla days? Eish, I dunno!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 10:24:28 pm »
Hi Rodster,

There's always a 50/50 toss-up in these situations but I would say go with your gut feel. Let us know how it goes  :gl:

Offline yusuf

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »
Hey Sherelee,

I'm sure your boy will be just fine! :)
Yes, I'll keep that as a reminder, would be great to meet you guys as well! That is a very good initiative for all newbies! Can't wait!
For now, I need a little bit of advice myself. So on Monday I decided to contact the company I had my Skype interview with. It was more of a check-in mail to find out the status of my application, especially after they've mentioned that they would like to move onto the 2nd stage.
I recieved a reply saying that she'll forward my email to the manager who interviewed me and I should give them a couple of days. Today's Friday, would it against post interview ettiquette to contact them again telephonically or maybe wait another coupla days? Eish, I dunno!

Things move slowly in NZ. Island time... it takes some getting used to. Give them a gentle nudge though.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »

Offline Rodster

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:45 pm »
Hey Folks!

Update time! I think you guys' positivity has rubbed off onto this company. Thanks for the support so far! You guys rock!  O0

Yesterday morning I recieved a mail from the company hugely apologizing for the delay in getting back to me. It seems they have in these exact words "been debating whether to give me a job offer so that I can complete my Work Visa application or whether to let me continue applying for the Work Visa and try to go down the path of trying to get pre-approval". I think they really just want to make sure that we are definitely going to be making this move. They also want to conduct a second peer interview. So I responded saying that I will do anything to secure employment with them, but getting pre-approval on a Work Visa is just not possible, without a job offer. So now I wait and hopefully I get good news soon!

In other news..... :)

I have a new interview tonight at 10:00pm (8:00am 28.08.13 NZT) with another company which also sounds good.  :clap:
Please hold thumbs. Will feedback on that tomorrow! :)

Till then....

R

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:35 pm »
Wow Rodster, that really sounds very positive and that the company might be willing to wait and assist you with the offer. I really hope so for you hey !

And good luck with the interview tonight.  :clap:
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator