Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A bridge too far maybe.....  (Read 11892 times)

Offline TheJo

Re: A bridge too far maybe.....
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
You know Rodster you have a knack for telling a story.

When you mentioned going to the deli I felt like I was there too  :2funny:, I can just imagine the look on your face and you taking that ham with an "I meant to do that" attitude.

Please keep the updates coming, it's great to hear all about your family's experiences.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline MichelleL

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2014, 06:59:44 am »
I had such a good laugh now! I hope your family really loves ham, seeing as they got plenty of it! Haha

Made me think... don't know if there is such a thread on the forum - but hearing other people tell their stories about "newbie" mistakes they made when first arriving in NZ, would really be a funny and uplifting thread to read!  ;D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2014, 06:59:44 am »

Offline TheJo

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 07:32:25 am »
Fantastic idea MichelleL! After all the stress of getting there those light-hearted mistakes are actually so amusing. And as a newbie you are still contrasting SA and NZ big time so a thread like that will be fun.

Maybe you can start one Rodster and others can add to it  ;)

Offline Rodster

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2014, 05:56:25 am »
Absolutely TheJo, I grabbed that ham like a boss! Haha! That's actually a brilliant idea Michelle. I'll start that thread with my ham story and yes it will definitely relieve the tension and stress that goes along with moving to a new country and helping others of course who are still on their way.  ;)
Jul '13 - Job Application
Oct '13 - Job Offer received
15 Oct '13 - Job Offer accepted
01 Nov '13 - Medicals done
07 Dec '13 - Submit Visa Application
20 Dec '13 - Work to Residence VISA APPROVED!! :)
26 Jan '13 - Landed in Auckland, NZ

Offline Rodster

« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2014, 04:20:02 am »
Hey you all wonderful folk! I hope you are all keeping well! Just wanted to touch base with everyone and see howzit going with all you good people. We are all good, still settling in well. I know it's still only Autumn but the weather has been fantastic for us so far. I wake up everyday and I'm never disappointed, blue skies everytime! :)
Maybe its the calm before the storm. Well it's nothing I'm not used to. I'm sure Cape Town will have something to say about Auckland's winter!
Work is going great, i'm not sure which is better though, the food or the work! LOL! Judging by what my friends are saying (Have you put on weight??) I'll go with the food, so damn cheap as well! Just kidding, work is going great as well. Still getting used to the kiwi culture and the kiwi way of working. You know us SAFFA's want to let everyone in the building know you've arrived at work, greeting everybody, make small talk ect ect. Well............not so much here. Kiwi's dont really greet in the mornings or in the afternoons, I won't say at all and I won't say all Kiwis but they don't see it as something important. I was told by a fellow SAFFA that its just the KIWI way. But hey, I still greet everybody and make chit chat now and again and i think I might be converting some kiwis! LOL!
Bar the ham incident story  :) shopping here has really been good for us. I'm not sure about anybody else, but we can afford to buy things that were almost too expensive to buy in SA. Silly things like Olive Oil, or Butter instead of margarine, or even 4 boxes of cereal instead of 2, the amount of sweets and chocolates! Gee, my cupboard has never seen so much sweet luxuries in its life. Hell, not even my kids have seen so much!  :2funny:
About the kids, they're the sweetest things. Get this, they are having a competition amongst themselves as to who speaks like a kiwi first. Neither of them want to btw, so any word that sounds like a kiwi is torn to shreds! haha! I reckon my daughter will be losing that battle, she's 3 yrs younger than her brother and I can already notice a small change in 1 or 2 words. Before they know it, they'll both be sounding like the locals! LOL! Oh did I mention that they walk to school. My daughter literally takes about 40 seconds to walk to her school. I kid you not! My son about 10-15 mins!
They're enjoying their life here so far, but we let them keep in contact with all their friends and cousins and grandparents back home as often as every weekend via Skype! They miss them like crazy, but they'll be oraait.
We all have our home-sick moments here. I felt it in the first week we arrived. When we got to our rental, we went upstairs to unpack our bags and stuff and because we're living in a 1950's style house, the bedroom upstairs is very close to the roof. So whilst unpacking, I hit my head something silly, it wasn't that sore really but I just burst into tears and almost couldn't stop! My wife quickly went to the dairy across the road with the kids so that they didn't see what was happening, but it was a feeling of been so emotionally overwhelmed with everything, leaving everyone suddenly been all alone! But time is definitely a healer and while we still miss home, we've made some amazing new friends that have really helped us settle in so smoothly.
Our neighbors have been fantastic and very supportive as well. We have the place until end of July but I'd like to look around the same area or closest to the school if possible. We'll have to see how that goes in the next few months.
Overall, I'd say it's a been an enjoyable experience for all of us and I'm sure there's more to come.

We haven't seen half of what we'd like to see and this is only just the beginning. Will be updating more of our journey here!

Cheers all, chat soon!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:12 am »
Oh Rodster, please please please write a book one day. That part where you were unpacking upstairs and bumped your head (shame, sorry - bet nobody says "shame" there like in SA), I had tears in my eyes because you just manage to convey all that emotion in the way you write.

Or maybe I'm just emotional these days  ::)

Offline Rodster

« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:18 am »
Hey TheJo, keep the spirits up. I know emotions are all over the place but you guys have done alot and there's still lots of good things to look forward to!  ;)
I've used that word (shame) a few times without even thinking and wifey has to keep reminding me not to say that, but when you hear people tell their stories it's almost natural to say shame. Fortunately I haven't received the death stare from anybody yet. Lol!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:18 am »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:22 am »
Thanks for a lovely post :) So lovely reading about your time here so far. Glad you're settling in so well - so true about the food, ey? I also take olive oil, coconut oil, butter, bacon, cheeses etc for granted now. I agree with TheJo - please write a book one day ;) And TheJo, no, they don't say "shame" here like we do - "shame" is pretty much insulting here!!!
Keep on enjoying :)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline TheJo

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:41 am »
Fortunately I haven't received the death stare from anybody yet. Lol!

:2funny:

You know, at the company I worked at once, we had visitors from the UK that we had to train. They had to "buddy" with one of us and we were chatting and I said "shame, man"; and the UK guy asked what that meant because he has heard EVERYBODY say that! Funny how something simple in our everyday SA speech can go so wrong ....

Offline Rodster

« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2014, 11:23:26 pm »
LOL! I can just imagine what the UK guy must have been thinking! I definitely think it's something only SAFFA's can relate to. I wish some people just understood us! LOL!! I always think of that Spar Tops (I think?) advert on TV where the guy pours a coupla beers for his friends and fills the glasses with foam. One of his friends reckons "beer-ginner" and the other says "shame man!"  :2funny: kills me every time!