Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A bridge too far maybe.....  (Read 11615 times)

Offline Rodster

Re: A bridge too far maybe.....
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 12:46:54 pm »
Ok, update time!
Last night was a looong night! Had 2 Skype interviews and then I couldnt sleep! Got to bed after 1 this morning! :sleep:

Anyway, first interview was with Company B, they called at 10pm. This was after I had a telephonic interview with them last week. Met with 2 managers, nice blokes! Lasted about 30 minutes. Went well, great company, great culture and hope to hear from them in the course of next week!

Then, at 11pm, Company A called for the peer interview (2nd Skype Interview). Met 2 of my potential colleagues and that too was just great. Extremely relaxed and was a matter of them seeing if I'll fit in with their culture. Company is great, culture is great. That call lasted about 40 mins.
Eventually got to bed, woke up with eager anticipation and checked mails, skype messages ect. but nothing as yet.
Got ready for work and gave it one last check. WALA! Waddaya know! Feedback from Company A from the manager saying that the guys who did the peer interview were thoroughly happy with me and now she wants to move onto the next stage which is $$$ and then reference checks and then she wants to make me an offer!!  :yippee:  So as expected, today has not been a very productive work day. :thumbdown:

I'm just so freaken excited/nervous/anxious!!  :yippee:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:15:15 pm by Rodster »
Jul '13 - Job Application
Oct '13 - Job Offer received
15 Oct '13 - Job Offer accepted
01 Nov '13 - Medicals done
07 Dec '13 - Submit Visa Application
20 Dec '13 - Work to Residence VISA APPROVED!! :)
26 Jan '13 - Landed in Auckland, NZ

Offline Sash82

• Dream big, pray hard!
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »
Wow!! I'm so happy for you! (won't mention how jealous I am at the same time.... :whistle:)

Congrats!! :clap:  O0  I hope they come back with a great offer!
1st meeting with agents: 08/07/13
NZQA submitted:07/08/13
Decided on LSD trip: 23/09/13, booked flights 24/09/13, DH arrived in Auckland 29/09/13 - 02/11/13
NZQA feedback received: 30/10/13 (finally!)
Medicals 27/11/13
Received original offer: 28/11/13
3 Year work visa granted: 17/12/13!! Whoohoooo!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »
OMW eeeeeeck you sommer make me nervous hehe

:clap:  :heeha:  O0  :yippee:  :gl:  :1hug:

I know that exact feeling, not being able to sleep, your mind is racing and thinking about 10 million things, every single time you wake up you check the emails lol

That is just absolutely great news Rodster, im so happy for you. you might even at the end have to decide which job to accept!!!

I know we tend to rather go lower just to get it but it does seem as if they are quite interested so start high!? She can always make a lower offer that will still be enough for you. I dont think you will chase them away with high expectations, they might just laug a bit, think you are a bit koekoes and give you a lower one  :2funny:

I have never in my life checked email more than during this immigration process. Even now waiting for the visas i refresh every 10 minutes LMFAO so silly hehe

Im sure you will have a great weekend and feeling a bit relaxed about everything!!!
05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

Offline Rodster

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:59 pm »
Thanks Sash82 and Goldie! Busy laughing our heads off, thinking we the only ones who wake up and check emails first thing!  :2funny:
But yes, we are very nervous now, things happening a bit too quickly! Eish!
Hey Sash82 - Good things come to those who wait. Sounds like a cliché, but those words have never been more true. I was ready to give up as well, but we just kept grinding at it. Your break will come, hang in there! :)

Offline Crusader

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
Just shows you that it can be done from outside New Zealand, in contrast with people who said it can't be done.Good on you Rodster....

Offline Bernice

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:11 am »
Congratulations Rodster!  I'm new to this site but checked out your thread and couldn't wait to read to the end to find out whether you got the job or not! I'm also from Durbs and been living in NZ for 5 and half years now.
I made the big move in 2008 and it was the best move ever! You and your family are going to love it here. We are very blessed to live in such a beautiful country. All the best ... exciting times ahead for you  :clap:

Offline yusuf

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 06:02:00 am »
I used to check my mails in my sleep every night before moving over. It became a habit...
I still do, but much less than I used to  :2funny:
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 06:02:00 am »

Offline TheJo

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 08:56:31 am »
Great stuff Rodster! Glad you didn't throw in the towel.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:20 pm »
Great stuff  O0  Just shows that you must never ever give up  :gl:  If it's meant to be it will be.

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 12:00:53 am »
Awesome, Rodster  :yippee:

Durban's loss, New Zealand's gain.

:clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 09:15:26 pm »
Fantastic news, Rodster!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Rodster

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:10 am »
hey guys! Sjo, what a busy weekend! :)
We found it very difficult to relax Goldie, as you know our minds went from flights to schools to housing to transport to departure date to telling everyone, EISH!!
@chchkiwi I couldn't agree more, must admit though the longer it was taking the more I was thinking that it CAN'T be done, but there we go! :)
@Bernice thanks so much! I hope we can have half the blessings of living in NZ as you have! oh, and a belated  :welcome:
@TheJo after so much encouragement I recieved from this site, there was no way I was gonna throw in the towel! I would have been an  :idiot2: to do that!
Thanks Yusuf, Zatexnz, Sherelee and SA3001 for your well wishes too!

There's been a couple of more developments. Company A emailed to say that they are willing to help in whatever way they can to make the move to NZ as smooth as possible. So they've now asked for the references asap so that we can close this deal  :yippee: and also what date I would like to start. Wifey and I reckoned maybe mid-Jan. Seems kids get back to school 27 Jan 2014. I hope that will be okay. Will wait and hear.

In the meantime, Company B mailed me last night to say that they too want to move onto stage 2 in their interview process. :) Here I will get to meet senior management (like a whole panel of them, 6-8 people!!  :sweat:)  Nooo pressure! Tha is scheduled for next Monday at 22:00!

So that was my weekend! This week should be interesting, letting my boss know my plans (not looking forward to that! :sweat:) and then not knowing what references Company A will get!
Then it's the formalities, medicals, clearances, VISA's! EISH EISH EISH!! Glad I'm not alone! Thanks to all you guys! :)

Chat soon!

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:10 am »

Offline Sash82

• Dream big, pray hard!
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
I have goosies all over from hearing the excitement in your post! I can't wait or our break! I know it will happen at the right time!

I also check mails with one eye open a couple of times a night! We use DH's e-mail addy so I have a shortcut on my phone too now! In the beginning I used to get up and check his phone but that became too much of a schlep, so now I just reach for my phone and sommer leave it open and just refresh every time I wake to check! :2funny:

1st meeting with agents: 08/07/13
NZQA submitted:07/08/13
Decided on LSD trip: 23/09/13, booked flights 24/09/13, DH arrived in Auckland 29/09/13 - 02/11/13
NZQA feedback received: 30/10/13 (finally!)
Medicals 27/11/13
Received original offer: 28/11/13
3 Year work visa granted: 17/12/13!! Whoohoooo!

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »
Lekker Lekker Rodster  :clap:

Offline MichelleL

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:46 am »
Wow, it's so exiting to see your plans fall in place!!!!
 :gl: for the next interview!!