Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A letter to Nolan  (Read 5229 times)

dievissers

A letter to Nolan
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »
Good morning Nolan

I wanted to thank you for a wonderful site created!  A site where we found friendships, advice and sometimes just a shoulder or an ear when we needed one.  A home from home!

We could come here to vent, laugh, talk to friends, share experiences and just feel at home.  Now it feels like an advertising campaign with everyone being a possible client/target so I decided to close my account as the fun and family experience is gone.  (That is if they can find me on the system - emailed yesterday - I don't seem to be on the system, maybe keep this site and North Shore immigration separate?....just a thought.....)

Anyway this letter is to deeply thank you for the site and all the advice, love and hope it has given to so many others. 

To all that's been there through this period in my life - I thank you!  Your words of encouragement and friendships meant a lot during a very difficult period.  To the people still in this process - GOOD LUCK!

Take care

Offline Crusader

Re: A letter to Nolan
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:26 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:07:21 am by chchkiwi »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:02:26 am »

Offline Crusader

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:06:55 am »
The 'ou hande' is leaving the site now, which is sad. I have been a member for 5 years now, and this has been a magnificent site, so many questions, so many answers.

Thanks Nolan, you did a great job with this site, maybe the ones joining now will be ok with the changes that happened over the past couple of months, but have to agree with Brenda and Schalk that it is not what we want. We want a site where you can exchange ideas, without being reminded that there is an 'Licensed advisor' who will make things happen for you. To all the newbies, you can make it happen yourself, and save yourself some serious dollars to use when settling down.

Have fun...

Offline mbl77

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:49 am »
I've only been around here for 2 years or so, but my thoughts echo those above completely.

It was also disconcerting that the new "admins" arrived unannounced and abruptly without much of an introduction. The extent of Peter's involvement seems only to be that people should contact him directly for advice. Peter, that is not the point of a forum. Forums are for sharing of information - if the discussion goes offline then the forum has no more value for those visiting. There is nothing to stop you from gathering some facts and giving advice right here, like some licensed advisors are doing in other forums out there.

So I'm also leaving here, and I will continue to share my experience and answer the occasional question at www.enz.org. My input seems more welcome there.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:08:03 am by mbl77 »

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:00:49 am »
I have sent an email to Nolan to reply to you guys  :clap:

Offline peterjepwood

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:56 am »
Hi guys,
I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Nolan used to give immigration advice until the licensing laws came into effect and he charged clients accordingly. Yes, we are also Immigration consultants but there is huge choice our there. You do not need to deal with NSIS. I am not a licensed adviser but I do help people with jobs, houses, businesses and the rest. I have been on the SANZ executive committee for years I still run the South African Social evenings in Browns Bay as well as assist in the new arrivals meetings, tirelessly helping South Africans get on their feet with advice and direction. I also do business mentoring mainly for South African business people and those thinking of starting a business in New Zealand. We have recently started The New Zealand Southern Africa Business Council of which I am the chairman. This organisation promotes trade between Southern Africa and New Zealand. So you can see we are very involved in the community & I forgot I also run the South African magazine. So you want to leave this marvelous vehicle for South Africans, as well as other immigrants, with the wealth of information that will help any new immigrant with information and a network when they arrive in New Zealand. I wish all of this was available when I came to New Zealand there was no help at all. So I do not get it, what is all the fuss about. I deal with employers, accredited employers, immigrant friendly recruitment agencies and facilitate free jobs to people who qualify. There are very few companies that have the one stop service we deliver. We do tons of free work and give hundreds of hours of free advice. We now have an agent in South Africa working with us so if you want a free 35 minutes consultation get hold of me on jepwood@xtra.co.nz and I will arrange it.
Hope you are happy. Have a fantastic day.
Regards,
Peter W

Offline Goldie&3Bears

• Dad 33,Mom 32,DS 4,DS 2
    • The Big Move to NZ
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:50 am »
I dont really understand why everyone is SO upset. Because changes was made? Change is not always a bad thing.

I too noticed that almost every second post included the phrase to contact peter but i looked over it as it is not aimed for me, why should i be bothered. If someone tries to help the new people that comes to the site and is looking at immigrating why not? Its the persons choice if they want to get assessed by peter, or even use his services.

Why leave this great site just because of that? Is it really that big of a thing? Maybe if a request or discussion was held with the admins about that they could do things a bit differently but now just leaving. And enz is not as 'personal' i feel as this site.

I feel very sad that all the 'ou hande' is leaving, you guys were really so much help and it was so great to read your stories. Thanks for the help and sorry to have to say goodbye  :(

05/03/13 Final decision NZ WILL be our future home!
19/3 Got a 'bite' now to hook it
2/4 DH got the job!
31/7 EWRB registration docs
20/8 Registration approved
28/8 Submit visa app
6/8 Visa APPROVED!
8/8 House sold
16/9 Submit EOI
30/9 ITA received
12/11 Arrive in NZ!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:50 am »

Offline vulpes

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:14 am »
Perfectly articulated rockhopper, thank you
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:28 am »
I mirror the thoughts of a few people above and mentioned to my OH the other day that the forum I have enjoyed for so long has become an impersonal advert for a business!  I have debated whether to leave or not, but curiosity might keep me here.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
I too am very grateful for the help I got on this forum. I am also very disappointed that the forum now has a marketing focus.
However, I am going to remain on here. I have been posting a lot less already, and I suppose that I will become less active over time. Why stay? I have only been in NZ for 4 months, and I still need to help others the way that the seniors helped me. The only difference is that I will do it through private messages, when asked, so that the business does not benefit in any way from any more of my private experiences.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline 2GatJakkals

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:31 am »
I wanted to come out in support of the administrators.  I wanted to say keeping a forum like this going takes a lot of work, and it's fair to be rewarded for one's effort.

But then I read about Rockhopper's criticisms being deleted, and him being denied to remove the posts he wants to remove.  That's not okay.  That turns this forum into a rather dishonest place.
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:57:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Wow!!

Just a quick word from me. The forum has not changed in any way. This is how Nolan set it up and this is exactly the same. If there was a delete button then, then there's a delete button now  :coffee:

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:57:01 pm »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »
Newbies running the forum. Just saying.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:22 pm »
Hi dievissers,

I will look into it and come back to you  :)

Offline thombatt

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »
There is an administrator of the site who has made just over 100 posts. 40% (and that's me been generous) of those posts point to NSIS, or a person involved with NSIS.